Project clean up after Chrysler - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-07-2014, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Project clean up after Chrysler

A little back story to start with. I bought the jeep for my wife back in 08 with less than 100 miles on it. It wasn't only her first jeep but the fist vehicle she ever had that wasn't a tuna can sized car and she instantly fell in love. It stayed stock until roughly a year ago and has been a great vehicle and now has 128000 miles on it. Thru some recent turn of event it has become my DD for a while and I like my vehicles ALOT cleaner than she does. I washed the jeep several times but just was not looking good enough for me so I broke out the sand paper, buffer, and 3m rubbing compound and went to work. Decided to just pull the hood off to make it easier and wanted to repaint the hinges anyway but had a suprise waiting under the hinges for me that made my 4th of July weekend project get a lot bigger RUST. Didn't seem like there wasn't any primer used before assembly. I didn't take to many pics but will document the rest a lot better from here on out.

This was after I went at with a paint scraper
Hit it with a flap wheel some etch primer then bed liner all better now.

After seeing the rust under there I new there had to be a lot more in other places and couldn't leave it alone so on to the drivers side fender.

Wasn't near as bad but there was still some under there in the rocker area and under the cowl. Hard to see in the pics I don't have a camera so sorry for crappy pics

This was the only spot on the fender that had any rust cleaned it up primed and painted the whole back side and put back together. That's about all I had time for this weekend will pull it back apart next weekend to do the sub frame and paint under where the flares sit along with the rocker area. I'd hate to see what some of the jeeps that live in rust belt look like since I live in texas and this one has been mosly garage kept.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-10-2014, 07:28 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Wow that is making me want to get to digging around in mine. I'm in the process of ridding myself of scratches by bedlining the entire jeep.
Nice job with the base coat under the hinges did you use flat black?

THE VERY BEST IN OFFROAD PARTS!!!
Jason
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

08 JKU Sahara that is a constant work in progress
post #3 of 5 Old 07-10-2014, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

It's rustoleum bed liner on hood hinges and underneath the doors will be herculiner. I was afraid of using the herc on the hood hinges since I couldn't take Em apart and thought it might split where they pivot since it's a lot thicker. The rockers are going to be done in quality implement semi gloss paint so I clear over it when it's completely done and I can wet sand again and not feel a raised surface when it's done. It's sad the more I dig and take apart the more areas I find without primer or paint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-10-2014, 10:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Isn't the steel galvanized? I have an '08 and my entire undercarriage is covered in light surface rust working its way through the painted surfaces, axels as well. Guess I need to pop all the hinges off and do the same. There is a ppg auto paint stor up in town that will mix the oem coler in a full size spray can. They also have "chip guard", I got it in clear and I removed the rubicon rails and taped off a line about a 1/4" higher at the sheet metal transition and sprayed a couple of coats down there and reinstalled the rubicon rails. All the crap that always got stuck between the rails and the sheet metal paint drove me nuts.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-11-2014, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

It does seem like most of it is galvanized but done poorly since this has been garage kept most of its life never seen salted roads or been to the beach I feel like this should not be an issue. I own a 91 chevy pickup that I drove in PA for 3 years while I was working up there and also spent a lot of time in Galveston on the beach and only has minor suface rust in places where paint has chiped or flaked off. Maybe I expect to much but for the price of these thing it should have better paint or rust protection at the least since they are made to be used offroad and see a mixture of elements.
What is the chip gaurd made of? Is is just like a heavier clear or an additive you can add to any paint? Sounds like I should check into seems like it would be a good idea for me to use it on my rockers and grille.
I also have the suface rust on my frame you talk about not sure what I'm gonna do with it yet probably POR15 but just haven't made up my mind yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode