Reptar got RIPPd - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 11-22-2013, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Reptar got RIPPd

Well I have been away for a while finishing my XJ build, I decided to show the JK some love for almost hitting 20k miles. I got a RIPP supercharger installed on my 3.6, this thing is all kinds of fun now. The waste gate sounds awesome when you get on it. Diablo set up a great tune on it with their new Version 2 tune for the 2012-13 wranglers. I really like the new Diablosport Trinity programmer, you can attach it to your windshield and 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile, and 1/8 mile times. Lots of neat features on it over the old hand held programmer I had on my charger. Only drove it about 20 miles today, but it has been a blast and actually keeps up with traffic.

Idle Video

Throttle Video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 11-22-2013, 09:40 PM
Wheeler

NIIIIIICE!!!!!

MAY THE LORD BLESS YOU.... YOUR JEEP.... AND THE TRAILS YOU RIDE ON....
post #3 of 35 Old 11-22-2013, 10:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sweet. Who did the install?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 11-22-2013, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Sweet. Who did the install?
Allsouth Autosports in Buford

I am not far from you, I bought a lot of vehicles from Palmer Dodge in Roswell and am over that way quite a bit

Last edited by Reptar; 11-22-2013 at 10:11 PM.
post #5 of 35 Old 11-23-2013, 09:54 AM
Granite Guru

Not a fan of how close the air filter is to the radiator, seem like it would be sucking in a lot of hot air.
post #6 of 35 Old 11-23-2013, 10:20 AM
Wheeler

WOW is thats a sexy sound.

Project Saskuatch is underway!! 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
3.5" MC Game Changer, Genright Armour, Warn Winch, Fuel Wheels, 37" Nitto's, AEV hood, JW Speaker w/ Rigid Lights.....
post #7 of 35 Old 11-23-2013, 01:52 PM
Granite Guru

nice! and chive on my brother.

Mike M

2013 2dr rubi
MC 2.5", Fox RR TF tuned shocks, TF carrier, Viair, TL's and so on...... still on stock tires
post #8 of 35 Old 11-23-2013, 09:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat2dfreak View Post
Not a fan of how close the air filter is to the radiator, seem like it would be sucking in a lot of hot air.
The air it sucks in gets run through an intercooler.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #9 of 35 Old 11-24-2013, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascoreli View Post
WOW is thats a sexy sound.
It sure does, I love hearing the waste gate while I drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
nice! and chive on my brother.
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
Ding ding!!
post #10 of 35 Old 11-24-2013, 11:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Which is trying to cool hot air running through the blower. air-to-air coolers are inefficient as it is, preheating it before the blower isn't helping much at all. Combine that with a high mass flow rate and small surface area, and it's not going to bring amazing results. I'd shoot for a water-to-gas intercooler, ~3x higher heat transfer coefficient than gas-to-gas.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 11-24-2013 at 11:09 AM.
post #11 of 35 Old 11-24-2013, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

^^^ This guy got something negative to write on every post I make.
post #12 of 35 Old 11-24-2013, 11:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptar View Post
And yet you don't complain about this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat2dfreak View Post

Wah.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #13 of 35 Old 11-24-2013, 06:30 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

awesome!!

Been running the RIPP with RIPP long tube headers on mine for a couple months now and very happy with it as well!

U.S. Army
post #14 of 35 Old 11-24-2013, 10:38 PM
Wheeler

Do you have an aftermarket cam or is it just my crappy speakers? Sounds like the idle is a little more aggressive. Sweet rig btw.
post #15 of 35 Old 12-17-2013, 05:33 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptar View Post
A bad design is a bad design. Don't shoot the messenger for making a suggestion that will get you a bigger return on your sizable investment.
post #16 of 35 Old 12-17-2013, 05:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Notice any difference in fuel efficiency?

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #17 of 35 Old 12-17-2013, 08:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangmuf View Post
A bad design is a bad design. Don't shoot the messenger for making a suggestion that will get you a bigger return on your sizable investment.
is it a bad design? Or are you just repeating stuff you read on the internet, because all of it is true. Bonjour!

Sure it is pulling in hot air from around the motor. So is your stock air filter or any other aftermarket "cold air intake" they are all in relatively the same location unless you are running a snorkel. And in none of these cases is that air getting cooled off prior to going through the intake.

The air the SC pulls through is cooled through the intercooler and it does a pretty good job. Sure, the are even more efficient ways to cool the air but many are beyond the scope of a simple and efficient forced air system.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #18 of 35 Old 12-17-2013, 08:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
is it a bad design? Or are you just repeating stuff you read on the internet, because all of it is true. Bonjour!

Sure it is pulling in hot air from around the motor. So is your stock air filter or any other aftermarket "cold air intake" they are all in relatively the same location unless you are running a snorkel. And in none of these cases is that air getting cooled off prior to going through the intake.

The air the SC pulls through is cooled through the intercooler and it does a pretty good job. Sure, the are even more efficient ways to cool the air but many are beyond the scope of a simple and efficient forced air system.
^^^^ This

Also, RIPP tested their system a while ago with a snorkel and got lower HP/TQ numbers due to the length of the intake.

Bottom line, are you getting MORE POWER? Okay, that settles it.

, Granite,
post #19 of 35 Old 12-19-2013, 11:42 AM
Rock God

I think goody's just mad he doesn't have one. I love the jeep and the sound.

2010 2 door sport, 6 speed,Dark Charcoal Pearl
post #20 of 35 Old 01-18-2014, 08:15 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Which is trying to cool hot air running through the blower. air-to-air coolers are inefficient as it is, preheating it before the blower isn't helping much at all. Combine that with a high mass flow rate and small surface area, and it's not going to bring amazing results. I'd shoot for a water-to-gas intercooler, ~3x higher heat transfer coefficient than gas-to-gas.
Actually air to air is better in the long run because after a while the water heats up to the same temp as the IATs and no longer has any cooling effects whereas the air hitting the IC stays around the same temp. Further adding to this the water tank is underhood normally further heating up the water. A properly sized air to air IC (this one is honestly way too small) with an intake that draws air from outside the engine bay is a far better setup. My Turbo Cobalt was running 26 psi (temps at the hot side IC were around 190* at 26 psi and normal florida air temps) and making nearly 400 ft lbs and 350 hp at the wheels out of a 2.0L motor and with my large air to air front mount IC I could do repeated 0-120 MPH pulls (took around 13-13.5 seconds each) and the IATs never rose more than 5* above ambient on my data logs. Do repeated long pulls like that with a water to air IC and unless you have a way of cooling the water in the tank ( I have seen people run the AC through them via a HE) and the tank is outside the engine bay I can guarantee your IATs will be much higher. Having tuned a few dozen supercharged Cobalts which have a water to air IC (and a good sized one for a 2.0L engine) their IATs are much hotter, up to 100* hotter to be exact, on repeated pulls vs the air to air IC.
post #21 of 35 Old 01-20-2014, 08:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
Actually air to air is better in the long run because after a while the water heats up to the same temp as the IATs and no longer has any cooling effects whereas the air hitting the IC stays around the same temp. Further adding to this the water tank is underhood normally further heating up the water. A properly sized air to air IC (this one is honestly way too small) with an intake that draws air from outside the engine bay is a far better setup. My Turbo Cobalt was running 26 psi (temps at the hot side IC were around 190* at 26 psi and normal florida air temps) and making nearly 400 ft lbs and 350 hp at the wheels out of a 2.0L motor and with my large air to air front mount IC I could do repeated 0-120 MPH pulls (took around 13-13.5 seconds each) and the IATs never rose more than 5* above ambient on my data logs. Do repeated long pulls like that with a water to air IC and unless you have a way of cooling the water in the tank ( I have seen people run the AC through them via a HE) and the tank is outside the engine bay I can guarantee your IATs will be much higher. Having tuned a few dozen supercharged Cobalts which have a water to air IC (and a good sized one for a 2.0L engine) their IATs are much hotter, up to 100* hotter to be exact, on repeated pulls vs the air to air IC.
You are WAY off here.

For starters, the heat exchanger in a water to air setup sits in the same place as an air to air intercooler so either set up will recieve the same fresh air hitting the front of the JK.

Water is more dense than air so it will have better heat absorption properties aka transfer heat from the intake air out to the heat exchanger (think radiator) better. This is why a water to air heat exchanger is smaller than an air to air intercooler. This is also why engines are water cooled (VW bug excluded).

Lastly, you cant compare the IATs of a turbo to a supercharger (I am guessing a roots style is what you had experience with) and blame it on the intercooler set up used.

post #22 of 35 Old 01-21-2014, 12:32 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
You are WAY off here.

For starters, the heat exchanger in a water to air setup sits in the same place as an air to air intercooler so either set up will recieve the same fresh air hitting the front of the JK.

Water is more dense than air so it will have better heat absorption properties aka transfer heat from the intake air out to the heat exchanger (think radiator) better. This is why a water to air heat exchanger is smaller than an air to air intercooler. This is also why engines are water cooled (VW bug excluded).

Lastly, you cant compare the IATs of a turbo to a supercharger (I am guessing a roots style is what you had experience with) and blame it on the intercooler set up used.
I will say you are both right and slightly wrong but hear me out. I had a 09 Silverado with a Maggie 2300 on it and yes the heat exchanger is like a radiator and mounted in the same place as the air to air intercooler however the actual intercooler is part of the supercharger manifold and is subject to heat soak. Back to back hard runs will show the water temp will not drop as far each time and your IATs will suffer. This is true for a roots style SC not a Centri like the Ripp design so your right its not apples to apples. I traded that truck for my 12 Camaro and I have a Vortech V3Si on it with a large air to air intercooler and back to back runs my IATs never get above 5-7 degrees higher than outside air. My filter was the largest K&N I could fit directly on the supercharger inlet and is only a few inches from my heads on a 6.2L LS3 which cranks out a lot of heat. Air to Air works just fine as long as air is moving over it. I do think those IATs will rise while crawling due to lack of airflow but it wont be near as bad as a roots SC IATs. Just my opinion and I know I'm a newb here but I've had turbo diesels, turbo 4 bangers, roots style SCs, and my current Centri so I do ok at forced induction.

edit: sorry Reptar for clogging up your thread. Your Jeep is awesome brother!

Last edited by SFC_A; 01-21-2014 at 12:36 PM.
post #23 of 35 Old 01-21-2014, 12:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC_A View Post
I will say you are both right and slightly wrong but hear me out. I had a 09 Silverado with a Maggie 2300 on it and yes the heat exchanger is like a radiator and mounted in the same place as the air to air intercooler however the actual intercooler is part of the supercharger manifold and is subject to heat soak. Back to back hard runs will show the water temp will not drop as far each time and your IATs will suffer. This is true for a roots style SC not a Centri like the Ripp design so your right its not apples to apples. I traded that truck for my 12 Camaro and I have a Vortech V3Si on it with a large air to air intercooler and back to back runs my IATs never get above 5-7 degrees higher than outside air. My filter was the largest K&N I could fit directly on the supercharger inlet and is only a few inches from my heads on a 6.2L LS3 which cranks out a lot of heat. Air to Air works just fine as long as air is moving over it. I do think those IATs will rise while crawling due to lack of airflow but it wont be near as bad as a roots SC IATs. Just my opinion and I know I'm a newb here but I've had turbo diesels, turbo 4 bangers, roots style SCs, and my current Centri so I do ok at forced induction.

edit: sorry Reptar for clogging up your thread. Your Jeep is awesome brother!
Yes since the intercooler sits directly on top of the motor, there is added heat soak but you did the same thing again but comparing a roots to a centrifugal...

post #24 of 35 Old 01-21-2014, 12:53 PM
Wheeler

[QUOTE=ALASHA;2183897]

Water is more dense than air so it will have better heat absorption properties aka transfer heat from the intake air out to the heat exchanger (think radiator) better.

Nope just explained why your comment above is incorrect. I have never seen air to air IC IATs be beat by a air to water IC IATs on back to back runs or extended use. I'm not comparing SCs I'm comparing the intercooler setup types to what I have seen.
post #25 of 35 Old 01-21-2014, 01:01 PM
JKO Addict!

[QUOTE=SFC_A;2188409]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post

Water is more dense than air so it will have better heat absorption properties aka transfer heat from the intake air out to the heat exchanger (think radiator) better.

Nope just explained why your comment above is incorrect. I have never seen air to air IC IATs be beat by a air to water IC IATs on back to back runs or extended use. I'm not comparing SCs I'm comparing the intercooler setup types to what I have seen.
Have you seen the same exact supercharger on back to back passes with an air to air vs. an air to water?

The intercooler on top of the block isnt the main contributor to increased heat from back to back passes. Its the nature of a roots style blower.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode