My BS Drift Trike Build thread - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old 10-31-2013, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

My BS Drift Trike Build thread

Little intro: I don't celebrate Halloween, so while my siblings went out and my mom and her BF were occupied with their own things, I decided to finally stop talking about building a drift trike and actually start mine.

(For those of you who are unfamiliar with drift trikes, think big wheels for adults and gratuitous self-endangerment for the sake of entertainment. Drift Trike Mafia - YouTube)

I started the build with an old as dirt NEXT bmx bike that I've had since intermediate school that no longer works at all.

First step was to strip the bike down to the frame:

This frame also serves as the frame for the trike, and keeps the front wheel, fork, and handle bar assembly.

Most of the parts stripped from the bike. Had to break the chain to remove it, and had to saw-zall one of the pedals off to get the crank and cog assembly out of the frame.

Next step was to hack off what I guess I could call the rear upper control arm. This piece of metal will probably be reused at some point for bracing.

Here is the newly-hacked frame with the fork/wheel/handlebar assembly re-installed.

That's about as far as I got tonight; it gets really cold in that garage at night, even with the two floorboard heaters on full blast.

Here's a mock up for the rest of the build. I'm still contemplating whether or not I want to cut off the top frame rail or leave it on. The red lines show where I would cut it, white shows where new support/gussets will go, orange gives a horrible representation of the location of the seat, and the black shows the rear axle and wheels.

Don't hate on my MS Paint skills, please.

The rear axle assembly will consist of about a 3' section of tubing welded to the lower control arm/A-arm, with lugs tac-welded onto berings, which would then be welded into the tube. The wheels will probably consist of two inflatable dolly tires, stuffed into a section of pvc piping, and then inflated.
Kind of like this:

I'll try to make more process tomorrow, and I'll keep the thread updated.
I know what you're all thinking.
Don't worry, I'll be sure to wear my helmet!

Thanks for reading, and for those who care, Happy Halloween!

"Drink your school. Stay in drugs. Don't do milk."
~SoCo

"Not that I'm an elitist or anything, I just get sick of waving to soccer moms and getting nothing back."
~ Shammy O'Shea

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode