BEWARE craigslist fraud - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 09-23-2009, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
BEWARE craigslist fraud

So I am selling my stock Sahara wheels on Craigslist and I got an email from someone who wanted to use paypal to pay for them (strike 1). He sends me an email telling me the money has been transferred. I get an email from what looks like a paypal address telling me that he is transferring $200 over what the agreed price is (strike 2), and that I have to mail the money to an address in Canada before the transfer of money will hit my account (strike 3).

Naturally, the alarms in my head go off, and I call paypal who tell me that there is no record of the transaction. I told the guy to suck it.

Watch out for a buyer using an email address of [email protected].

He used two different email addresses to contact me about the sale.

Jackass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 09-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Rock God

Only a fool would fall for that. If you are stupid enough to send money like that, you deserve to be took.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SHAFFERS OFFROAD. YOU WILL BE SORRY YOU DID..
post #3 of 27 Old 09-23-2009, 06:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyWalker

Very similar fraud case came up during a blotter brief. The "check" this guy received was signed by George Bush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Did you just search for "gay" or "halo" and bump those threads?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 09-23-2009, 06:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmg5819 View Post
So I am selling my stock Sahara wheels on Craigslist and I got an email from someone who wanted to use paypal to pay for them (strike 1). He sends me an email telling me the money has been transferred. I get an email from what looks like a paypal address telling me that he is transferring $200 over what the agreed price is (strike 2), and that I have to mail the money to an address in Canada before the transfer of money will hit my account (strike 3).

Naturally, the alarms in my head go off, and I call paypal who tell me that there is no record of the transaction. I told the guy to suck it.

Watch out for a buyer using an email address of [email protected].

He used two different email addresses to contact me about the sale.

Jackass.
That sucks.....
post #5 of 27 Old 09-23-2009, 07:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

at least you had the presence of mind to realize it was a scam. its a shame as ive done a ton of business on CL and have had no issues... selling or buying.

azzholes

good looking out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 27 Old 09-23-2009, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
That sucks.....
I guess i have to send another email to the guy you told me about.
post #7 of 27 Old 09-24-2009, 04:23 AM
Granite Guru

craigslist fraud

Ya, the guy who emailed me to buy my stock wheels and tires that are on craigslist was from the UK, said his shipping company would make all the arrangements. All I got to say is : mean people suck

08 X Unlimited.Jeep Green. 4.5" AEV Nth Degree. Rubi rock sliders, LineX'd nerf bars. MotoMetal 909's. 35x12.5x17 Nitto. Billet grille. Daystar Dash, Hood Wranglers and tire bumpstops. Rugged Ridge liners,front XHD bumper. Recon 10.5, neoprene covers. sPOD. KC Daylighters windshield lights. Pocket flares by TAG. JKS front and rear adjustable trac bars. Expedition One Trail Series rear bumper, Rock Krawler arms, Evo sleeves, RCVs, 4.88s, ARBs
post #8 of 27 Old 09-24-2009, 04:32 AM
Granite Guru

What sucks about this from a law enforcement standpoint is that the scumbags that do these scams are 1) usually overseas & beyond a local PD's ability to persue them and 2) they aren't breaking the law unless someone falls for their scam. By that last one I mean you aren't a victim unless you suffered a loss, as in you would have to go through with the scam & send them money in order to file a report & press charges. And then again, they're overseas so you're just Sh*t out of luck anyway... That's why these types of schemes will never go away, it is a low risk, high reward deal for them. I get 2 - 3 emails a week at my work address about how I won the UK lottery, or some guy needs help moving money from a foreign account, etc... Gets tiring...

Boomer (aka Chris)
'07 X 2Dr, Steel Blue Metallic
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2.5" BB, Black wheels & 33's...
post #9 of 27 Old 09-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Granite Guru

Garage
Craigs List Fraud

I had someone try to scam me too. I was selling my Seliga Kevlar Canoe. Within 10 minutes I had someone email me telling he was interested in the goods I had for sale and that he would be sending me money asap but I had to respond right away to his email. I reported him to Craigs list then sent this person an email asking him if this was a scam. He never responded back. I have since put items on Craigslist and have since had people try to scam me. So I report people and them ask them if this is a scam. I never get a response. As the old addage goes, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is!
post #10 of 27 Old 09-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Rock God

Barnum Quote- "There is a sucker born every minute". I get the emails about transferring money for some one in Africa. I always send them my scam breaker. " off you bugger". Works every time.

"All wranglers are jeeps, not all jeeps are wranglers"

"Holding out for the Pentastar in 2012"
post #11 of 27 Old 09-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Rock God

Quote:
mean people suck
Nice people swallow.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SHAFFERS OFFROAD. YOU WILL BE SORRY YOU DID..
post #12 of 27 Old 09-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Openly Hostile

I was looking at houses to rent and asked for more details on a property and got this scam back.

I am gonna stop by that persons house and give them a printed copy of the email. Someone may show up at that place all pissed off one day.

"Thanks for the interest in my AD. The Home is still available for rent for $1850.i am in West African,Nigeria and i will reside here for some time due to my current assignment.And we are on a campaign program to West African,Nigeria tagged "Empowering Youth to Fight Racism, HIV/AIDS, Poverty and Lack of Education".I just need someone with an open heart,love and clean to occupy the home and put all my worries off concerning the maintenance of the home, since i am not residing there for now and presently my house is still available for rent for $1350 (per Month) including the utilities like hydro,washer,electricity and security.note that you are free to go and view the house but you will not be able to see the inside.
Also the keys to the Home are right here with me, and the lease document. Which i can send to you after all necessary agreement has be accepted. Also i will like you to know that the rent charges is not really the issue ,but your absolute maintenance of my Home , because that is the only valuable property my late father left behind, and it also took him so much time and money to put all those facilities in place.,so i will solicit for your absolute maintenance of this House and want you to treat it as your own,is that taken,it is not the money the main problem but want you to keep it tidy all the time....below is the location...

Laguna Hills, CA 92653

Available Date: Now

N.B:Note that i am in West African , Nigeria and will not be able to show you the Home. You can go and have a look at the exterior and also you will be paying a deposit payment of $1000 which is refundable back to you OK."

Jason
post #13 of 27 Old 09-24-2009, 05:59 PM
Wheeler

my girlfriend was selling her drumset and some guy did the same thing but he sent us a money order for 2500! we only wanted 300 for the drum set... same kinda deal he said we could keep 1200 extra for our troubles but wanted us to wire him 1000 back immediately ridiculous. and now that they are using paypal... thats sad that has been a good trusted source for transfering money
post #14 of 27 Old 09-24-2009, 09:02 PM
Granite Guru

I saw this a while ago and it just kept me laughing.

http://www.419eater.com/html/okorie.htm
post #15 of 27 Old 09-24-2009, 09:32 PM
Wheeler

Dude, that was classic!

I wish my grass was EMO, then it would cut itself.
post #16 of 27 Old 09-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Granite Guru

Just as an FYI people are using an email that looks identical to the email you'd get from PayPal (you know, the "You're got money!" email) and making it look like you were paid. If you don't actually go to your account and check you'd never know. People that have tried this have paid the exact amount asked, not overpaying so there is no red flag there. They are hoping you'll see the email and ship the item before you realized you were never paid. I've read about this scam on multiple R/C message boards, so if you get paid with PP, don't rely on the email alone...check your account!
post #17 of 27 Old 09-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Wheeler

Anytime they say "goods" like I'm interested in your goods. I just automatically delete those. Always a scam.
post #18 of 27 Old 10-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Granite Guru

You just need to pay attention. If an email sounds "generic", meaning there are no references to anything you said in the post besides quoting your title maybe, then it is very likely computer generated and is some sort of a scam. I don't even reply to these email, since they could simply be interested in collecting your email address and selling it (by replying your are revealing your real email address). If I feel like playing with them I send a response from a dummy email account I don't care about like [email protected] and ask for their address and phone number so I can call them and send them the stuff... usually after that you don't hear from them.
post #19 of 27 Old 07-10-2010, 04:23 AM
Granite Guru

I had one of these asses try it on me... he offered to buy an item I had for sale. The next day I get an email stating that his secretary accidentally sent a check for $1000.00 too much. He wanted me to send him a check for $1000.00 immediately. I returned his email... "go fuck yourself!" funny... I never received his check...

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Prosperity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
post #20 of 27 Old 07-10-2010, 04:32 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I don't know what you guys are talking about but I've been making like $1.5 million a week from various heads of state, royalty, doctors, and humanitarians that have put me in their will in various parts of Africa for years now. Just a few small bank transfer fees and TADA! I'm rich!

My sig is HUGE in Japan
post #21 of 27 Old 07-10-2010, 04:34 AM
Granite Guru

Bingo. Anyone interested in my "goods" can piss off, I'm married.

You want me to send you money for something you are buying? Seriously?

I know I didn't win some lottery or have a rich uncle die and leave me millions because I'm not that lucky. If I did, I dont want the money, its fun trying to move money around last minute or pray that check doesnt clear until after payday. I like the suspense.....

2007 Sahara Unlimited. Zone 3" lift. JKS adjustable front track bar, Fox steering stabalizer, Crown kevlar brake lines, MBRP grill guard w/PIAAs. pistol grip Hurst shifter. Spiderweb sun shade. Homemade "raingler" style rear and side nets. Flowmaster Super 40. Stock 17" wheels. 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers. DVD/Nav head unit. MBRP stubby w/ mm winch. PJ stubby rear.
post #22 of 27 Old 07-10-2010, 04:44 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
I don't know what you guys are talking about but I've been making like $1.5 million a week from various heads of state, royalty, doctors, and humanitarians that have put me in their will in various parts of Africa for years now. Just a few small bank transfer fees and TADA! I'm rich!
LMAO! I was waiting for someone to say just that
post #23 of 27 Old 07-10-2010, 06:53 AM
Rock God

forward the fake paypal email to [email protected] I get fake paypal shit all the time. forwarding it to that email address alerts paypal and they may be able to use it to find the dicks that sent it.

No more Jeep
post #24 of 27 Old 07-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Granite Guru

I hear ye, Mates! I just posted a For Sale Listing on Craigslist the other day, and got the usual, "GMAIL" responses about the, "Secretary sending a check... blah-blah-blah!"

I didn't even waste my time responding back.

ARSEHOLES!!!

Cheers!

BB

Blackbeard

'09 Yellow Wrangler X JK - "Scooter"

-Sony CDX-GT540UI Head Unit
-Alpine SPR-17C Coaxial 6.5" Speakers
-Alpine SPR-17S Component 6.5" Speakers With Tweeters & Crossovers
-Rockford Fosgate Punch 400W 4-Ch Amp
-Factory Half-Doors & Full-Doors
-Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor Tires
-Black Rock Viper 900 Tungsten 17" Wheels
-Pre-Runner Light Bar
-KC-127 6" Fog Lights

"The Floggings will continue until Morale improves!"
post #25 of 27 Old 07-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Wheeler

Garage

It is sad that this scam keeps catching people. I've personally dealt with several folks who fall for this, most of the time they are elderly people who are way too trusting. Sometimes the bad guys have too much time on their hands.

2010 JK Unlimited Sport ... Goodyear Duratracs on Rubicon Rims...Body Armor 4x4 front bumper and skid plate...Smittybilt XRC8 winch...Poison Spyder Evap Skid...Soft top...Rubicon Rock Rails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode