Custom iPad Mini mount for 2010-2013 Jeep Wrangler - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Custom iPad Mini mount for 2010-2013 Jeep Wrangler

I am selling an iPad mini mount for a 2010-2013 Jeep Wrangler.

The exterior of the mount is made from ABS plastic, which you can paint if desired. There is a metal backing plate to keep the iPad in place, and a metal support bar on the top of the mount to add rigidity and strength. All parts of the mount that contact the iPad or the dash are covered to avoid damage. The mount is completely reversible and can be installed or removed in seconds. The mount is secured with a screw which attaches to the stock screw location in the sunglass holder.

The mounts can be used with the stock radio, however space is limited and how you hook it up (Bluetooth, audio jack, act) is up to you. In my Jeep I purchased a cheap ($90) JVC head unit with bluetooth and USB inputs because I needed pre-amp outputs for my amplifier. I plug my iPad Mini into the USB input in the head unit, which charges the iPad as well. I also purchased a connector to allow me to use my steering wheel controls with the aftermarket radio. In my Jeep I don't ever remove my iPad Mini, it is my head unit and stays in the Jeep. If you don't need the pre-amp outputs like I did the stock head unit will work fine. The iPad can be connected via Bluetooth, audio jack (90 degree adapter will probably be needed), or any other method I'm not aware of.

Here are a couple of quick videos
[video=youtube;0Z2rs5MLY_Y]http://youtu.be/0Z2rs5MLY_Y[/video]
[video=youtube;IAzwGCYaUBU]http://youtu.be/IAzwGCYaUBU[/video]

iPad Mini Mount Installation Instructions

Installing the iPad Mini into the mount
  1. Lay mount face down on flat surface
  2. Remove screw from the bottom of the mount
  3. Lift bottom edge of the metal backing plate just enough to insert the iPad Mini
  4. Adjust the iPad's position in the mount
  5. Reinstall the bottom screw

Installing the IPad Mini mount onto the dash
  1. Remove rubber insert from sunglasses holder on top of the dash.
  2. Remove screw found under the rubber insert.
  3. Place mount onto the dash and insert longer provided screw (if using stock radio be careful not to over tighten the screw, it may be possible for the screw to enter the top of the radio)

Things I’ve learned about having an iPad as a head unit
  1. In the summer the iPad can get hot and overheat if left in direct sunlight. Cover the iPad if you plan on parking in a sunny area. If the iPad does overheat just direct the center two air conditioning vents upwards towards the mount and turn the air conditioning on high.
  2. If your iPad is jailbroken, download the app “Activator” from Cydia. Create a custom Activator link to set the iPad to Sleep Mode with a long press of the Home Button. This is needed because the Power Button is not accessible.
  3. If your iPad is not jailbroken, go to Settings>Accessibility>Triple-click and choose the “Assistive Touch” option. With this option selected you can triple click the Home button and a glowing dot will appear on the home screen. When you need to turn off the iPad touch the glowing dot and select “Device” then “Lock Screen”.

Good Apps for an iPad head unit
  1. Dash Command (app that checks vehicle trouble codes, but needs additional hardware)
  2. iHeart Radio
  3. Pandora
  4. Slacker Radio
  5. Alarm Clock HD- Free (great looking clock interface which has adjustable colors to match dash)
  6. Vehicle Clinometer/ Tilt Meter (off-road Jeep tilt meter by Smittybilt, under iPhone apps)

$150 shipped

Last edited by Olsen185; 09-19-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-06-2013, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Bump
post #3 of 7 Old 07-06-2013, 01:13 AM
Slow and Low

Are you just selling one, or do you make these and sell them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-11-2013, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Vehicle clinometer by Smittybilt

Maps

Dash Command

Alarm Clock Hd

Slacker Radio

Iheartradio
post #5 of 7 Old 07-31-2013, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I have a special mount I custom made for a forum member who decided not to pay (I should have required pre-payment, my bad). It is up for grabs if someone wants it.

Here is a link to a video of it in action:
http://youtu.be/_UqgTPS5Lj4
post #6 of 7 Old 09-19-2013, 09:33 AM

Still have this? very interested if you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olsen185 View Post
I have a special mount I custom made for a forum member who decided not to pay (I should have required pre-payment, my bad). It is up for grabs if someone wants it.

Here is a link to a video of it in action:
http://youtu.be/_UqgTPS5Lj4
post #7 of 7 Old 09-19-2013, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Sorry I sold that mount. I only have the normal mounts available.

Here is an example:
http://youtu.be/JUJU0L3xbRM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode