ROTM Definitions Vote - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
View Poll Results: How would you like to see the ROTM work?
Weighted Voting & Moderated Class definitions 2 5.26%
Light, Medium and Heavy Modified classes split up by Tire Size 25 65.79%
Point system to identify classes - moderator to tally and assign 10 26.32%
Stock is stock, leave everything as is like November 1 2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 Old 12-05-2012, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Apt
I Put the FU in FUN

Garage
ROTM Definitions Vote

Take your pick here guys. I'll leave it open a few days to gage the feel for everyone's thoughts on where we should let this head.
  • Weighted Voting & Moderated Class definitions
  • Light, Medium and Heavy Modified classes split up by Tire Size
  • Point system to identify classes - moderator to tally and assign
  • Stock is stock, leave everything as is like November
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 12-05-2012, 08:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Never under stood the stock class to begin with. Is that who can put decals on the best or rotate the tires most effectively?
post #3 of 54 Old 12-05-2012, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Apt
I Put the FU in FUN

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireTrail741 View Post
Never under stood the stock class to begin with. Is that who can put decals on the best or rotate the tires most effectively?
Best stock wheelin picture? I hear ya. Stock is stock creates a bit of a hardship with lack of potential participants. If you're on this forum, you're likely a wee bit modified in some aspect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 Old 12-05-2012, 01:40 PM
Rock God

Garage

LMH, should probably add tons and/or power plant swap to get in to heavy
post #5 of 54 Old 12-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

I like the idea of Light, Med, & Heavy. Only issue is the 37" tire designation. I've seen some rigs that would be considered in either category, but both are running 37's. One had a 2.5 BB & flats w/ 37's. The other was lifted, custom fabbed bumpers w/ frame chop (by the owner), supercharged & beadlocks...with 37's.

I'd say that the 37's could go in both, and let the owner decide which category they want to put their rig.
post #6 of 54 Old 12-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Rock God

Garage

i like the tire size idea...but by previous definition 37s and above would be heavy...i have 38s and still have 44s, would by no stretch of the imagination would consider my rig heavy duty......in my terms heavy would be 60s, 14b, etc, 40s and above

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #7 of 54 Old 12-06-2012, 07:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
I like the idea of Light, Med, & Heavy. Only issue is the 37" tire designation. I've seen some rigs that would be considered in either category, but both are running 37's. One had a 2.5 BB & flats w/ 37's. The other was lifted, custom fabbed bumpers w/ frame chop (by the owner), supercharged & beadlocks...with 37's.

I'd say that the 37's could go in both, and let the owner decide which category they want to put their rig.
I'm with Merlin here. I don't think 37's should automatically classify a rig as "heavily modified" because it takes very little to run them. Not to mention they are becoming the new 35's on the Unlimited. I don't consider my rig "heavily modified" as I'm only running a 2.5" coil lift with cut flares. But yeah, if a rig is running anything other than factory axles, it should be thrown into the heavy class. Anything other than a stock motor....heavy class. By this I mean engine swap, supercharger, heavy engine work, etc. Not stuff like intakes or other bolt-ons.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #8 of 54 Old 12-06-2012, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Apt
I Put the FU in FUN

Garage

I'm running 37's, OBA, Prorock 44, arb front and rear, regeared, aftermarket front drive shaft and a winch on a 3" suspension lift.
How do you categorize that?
What if I put on beadlocks. Still medium class? Or does it now tip over to heavy class? How about simple Rebel or EVO bolt on coilover kits? Still medium?
I agree 100% on 14 bolts and D60s being heavy. I agree with Hemi and LS being heavy. I'm not sure I agree with custom cage being heavy.
There's a lot to consider. A point system is beginning to have more and more merit. Wontons are automatic Heavy class though I'd think and so is a motor upgrade.
Grrr. Who has a magic wand to just make this easy?
post #9 of 54 Old 12-06-2012, 08:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I think the classes are probably okay how they are now. With the exception of the stock class. I'd say stock class could be any rig that is still on factory suspension and factory motor. There are simple bolt-ons that you can put on a stock rig that still don't make it perform much better than stock. So a stock rig with maybe a front & rear bumper, sliders, etc. as long as it's still on stock suspension & no larger than 32" tires would probably be in the stock class. Once you start lifting, then it's fair game for another class.

I voted for the first option, but the Light, Medium, Heavy class is starting to be more appealing. Maybe add stock to the front of that group.

post #10 of 54 Old 12-06-2012, 08:56 AM
Rock God

Garage

Here's a question: why even bother with classes? The number of rigs that actually fit the Heavy criteria is very small. Stock is kind of silly, as said above "who can apply stickers the best?" If your budget boost and 32" A/T's lose to a stretched rig on tons and 40's....oh well, enter again next month.

Maybe I'm going a bit too far? Maybe two classes if participation is high enough. Stock to slightly modified, modified to heavily modified? At least that gets rid of the "am I medium or heavy?" question.

Edit: just to add for the 2 class idea, 35's and for stock to slightly modified, larger than 35's for modified to heavy.

Didn't even have any contestants in the heavy class last month.

Last edited by ArticRubi; 12-06-2012 at 09:41 AM.
post #11 of 54 Old 12-06-2012, 09:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I am torn on this one I voted LMH but if i read it right that would put me in the med class due to 35" tires But that is all i have done.. cut bummper, cut finders, no other mods added just stuff removed to make room for 35"

and my all stock but for the 35s in a vote off with all the other "med" built rigs and im done before it gets started

but thats just me bitching carry on

How I LEARNED TO STOP GIVING A SHIT AND LOVE MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE

Itís time to reevaluate the way we coddle the future generation. Making mistakes and getting hurt is how you grow. Teaching kids to fear Pop Tarts is how you promote xenophobia. Letís get it together, America.
post #12 of 54 Old 12-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
Here's a question: why even bother with classes? The number of rigs that actually fit the Heavy criteria is very small. Stock is kind of silly, as said above "who can apply stickers the best?" If your budget boost and 32" A/T's lose to a stretched rig on tons and 40's....oh well, enter again next month.

Maybe I'm going a bit too far? Maybe two classes if participation is high enough. Stock to slightly modified, modified to heavily modified? At least that gets rid of the "am I medium or heavy?" question.

Edit: just to add for the 2 class idea, 35's and for stock to slightly modified, larger than 35's for modified to heavy.

Didn't even have any contestants in the heavy class last month.
That's why I liked Apt's idea of him grouping the contestants together each month. Say there were 15 entries, he could have taken the bottom 5 that were the closest together, the middle group, and the top end and put them into 3 classes.

One month, the top class might have all been guys on 37s, the next month they might have all had 38/40s.

Makes it a lot more subjective, but it probably wouldn't be that hard to group rigs with similar rigs, vs trying to pigeon hole each rig into a specific definition.

If it's on points... how many points would lights (aftermarket headlights, LED fogs, 4 driving lights, etc) count for, and how would that compare to a winch and bumper? Each set of lights, 1 point, while the bumper is worth 5 points, and a winch is worth 5? Then you have suspensions, tires, wheels, engine's, SCs, axles, etc.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #13 of 54 Old 12-06-2012, 11:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

WTF is weighted voting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #14 of 54 Old 12-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
That's why I liked Apt's idea of him grouping the contestants together each month. Say there were 15 entries, he could have taken the bottom 5 that were the closest together, the middle group, and the top end and put them into 3 classes.

One month, the top class might have all been guys on 37s, the next month they might have all had 38/40s.

Makes it a lot more subjective, but it probably wouldn't be that hard to group rigs with similar rigs, vs trying to pigeon hole each rig into a specific definition.

If it's on points... how many points would lights (aftermarket headlights, LED fogs, 4 driving lights, etc) count for, and how would that compare to a winch and bumper? Each set of lights, 1 point, while the bumper is worth 5 points, and a winch is worth 5? Then you have suspensions, tires, wheels, engine's, SCs, axles, etc.
Yeah I get that now...it does make sense. Plus it would be fun to see someone covered in AEV shit get all butt hurt when they're stuck in the light class

post #15 of 54 Old 12-06-2012, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Apt
I Put the FU in FUN

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
WTF is weighted voting?
I think I covered weighted voting in this thread.
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1367579

Sent from my megaphone
post #16 of 54 Old 12-06-2012, 12:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The point system could probably work, but say you created classes based on a certain number of points. Say X amount of points = lightly, x amount to x amount = medium, x+ amount = heavy then vote from there. Would still retain classes, but definte each class a little further based on modifications & points.

Ex.

0-100 points = stock to lightly modified
100-300 = medium duty
300+ = heavily modified

post #17 of 54 Old 12-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Rock God

Garage

500+= full retard?

post #18 of 54 Old 12-06-2012, 12:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
500+= full retard?
500+ = too much fuckin' money! and you need Jeepers Anonymous

post #19 of 54 Old 12-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apt View Post
Who has a magic wand to just make this easy?
Keep it as-is, but allow 37's to be in either Mod or Heavy classes.
post #20 of 54 Old 12-06-2012, 01:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apt View Post
I think I covered weighted voting in this thread.
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1367579

Sent from my megaphone
Looks like weighted = points based. Please explain.

Quote:

post #21 of 54 Old 12-06-2012, 02:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Thought weighted voting was Apt and the vendor getting votes that.count as more (think his example was "10") in an effort to make ROTM less of a popularity contest. If vendor doesn't vote, Apt has a guest star do the weighted vote (unbiased, I recommended the previous months ROTM winner in the respective category).

Maybe im wrong
post #22 of 54 Old 12-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
Looks like weighted = points based. Please explain.
My understanding was that points, was points assigned to all the mods. And depending on how many points you had, you fell into a specific class.

My understanding of the weighted one was that Apt subjectively grouped the contestants into groups based on who entered and tried to group the rigs so that each rig was in a fairly even/similar group. And then that him and the companies donating the prizes votes were worth more (eg worth 10 votes).

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #23 of 54 Old 12-06-2012, 02:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

That makes sense. I skimmed through that thread, but missed that. I can see where that'd work. I think the points based system is alot of work.

IMO, the contest should be limited to the max amount that we can do a poll (10) on the forum. It's so much easier to see the standings when it's done in poll form. First 10 entries get entered.

Maybe if there's that much demand, the poll restraints can be stretched if possible.

Quote:

post #24 of 54 Old 12-06-2012, 02:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impostr View Post
Thought weighted voting was Apt and the vendor getting votes that.count as more (think his example was "10") in an effort to make ROTM less of a popularity contest. If vendor doesn't vote, Apt has a guest star do the weighted vote (unbiased, I recommended the previous months ROTM winner in the respective category).

Maybe im wrong
I think this is a good idea....but I after reading Apt's definition of weighted voting, I don't think it'll work out too well. The only way to make JOTM not a popularity contest is to use the points system by itself. Whichever rig scores the most points wins. Of course you could do that in respective classes.

Last edited by ShortBus; 12-06-2012 at 02:31 PM.
post #25 of 54 Old 12-06-2012, 02:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Oh, hell no. I thought "points based" was just assigning points to figure out which class to place a rig in. No way, no how should the points determine the winner.

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode