Working Out - The Place To Share Ideas And Tips. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 07-10-2013, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Working Out - The Place To Share Ideas And Tips.

I have gotten back into the habit of working out in the last four weeks. I'm managing to get four to five workouts in each week. So far it has been 5-7 miles on the elliptical, free weights (20-30 reps with 20 lb dumbells in sets of 5-6 for curls, vertical press, vertical thrust, etc.), and 100 to 125 sit ups and push ups. I need to get an incline bench and larger dumbells as the 20 lb'ers are already starting to feel light.

Who else is currently or starting to get back into their physical fitness?

I guess this can be the place to share work out tips and ideas. Post up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-11-2013, 04:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Just got the P90X dvds from a friend... about to start them in the near future.
from what i hear I may not be able to even type for a few days

How I LEARNED TO STOP GIVING A SHIT AND LOVE MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE

It’s time to reevaluate the way we coddle the future generation. Making mistakes and getting hurt is how you grow. Teaching kids to fear Pop Tarts is how you promote xenophobia. Let’s get it together, America.
post #3 of 22 Old 07-11-2013, 05:37 AM
Granite Guru

P90x and P90x2 are both really good workouts. Just like anything you get what you put into them and it is easy to slack off if you want to since there isn't anybody there to tell you otherwise.

If you are looking for dumbbells pick up a set of the selectable ones from bowflex of powerblock. I have the powerblock ones that go up to 50lbs each and they are pretty nice. THey are a little light for certain things but for the majority of my workouts they work just fine and take up very little floor space.

I am sure you have heard this before but working out is only about 30% of where you get your results, the rest is your diet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 07-11-2013, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post
P90x and P90x2 are both really good workouts. Just like anything you get what you put into them and it is easy to slack off if you want to since there isn't anybody there to tell you otherwise.

If you are looking for dumbbells pick up a set of the selectable ones from bowflex of powerblock. I have the powerblock ones that go up to 50lbs each and they are pretty nice. THey are a little light for certain things but for the majority of my workouts they work just fine and take up very little floor space.

I am sure you have heard this before but working out is only about 30% of where you get your results, the rest is your diet.
The P90x/2 is a possibility, but I haven't really worked out in several years so I am starting with the basics. I picked up a slant bench today and I will start shopping for dumbell sets. I will look into the powerblock set you mentioned. I am determined to drop 15-20 lbs by the end of this year.

Diet isn't my issue, I almost always prefer healthy items (aside from the once in a while beer and bacon binge ) so my real issue is portion control and time of day. With my shitty work schedule I got into a bad habit of eating way too close to bedtime and I have been metabolizing my meals into stored sugars and fat instead of burning them. I work out at night to ensure that any unused energy doesn't get stored anymore.

I am surprised nobody else is chiming in considering the DILF 2013 contest is in effect...

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #5 of 22 Old 07-11-2013, 05:03 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

You don't have to join a crossfit gym, cuz the prices are through the roof..

But google some crossfit excercises on YouTube or the webz and Incoperate those... Awesome full body, core, and body weight excersises.

For the past two years I have been doing a lot of crossfit style workouts, no rest, multiple excersises, own body weight and core excersises...

I can honestly say that I have worked out my entire life, and always been athletic but at 40 I am in the best shape of my life !

My other trick as drinking a water bottle or two at the end of my work shift and going home with a full belly of water, stopped me from eating like shit and drinking a few bears when I got home right before bed.. I still eat what I want, just make sure I burn it off the next day

I know I could be a contender in the 2nd annual dilf contest with this six pack !

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #6 of 22 Old 07-11-2013, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
I know I could be a contender in the 2nd annual dilf contest with this six pack !
Stop talking about it and git'r done! Hah!

I am still far too shrouded in puffy man-cloud like tissue to compete...

Quote:
post #7 of 22 Old 07-12-2013, 05:05 AM
Granite Guru

Having done both p90x workouts i think P90x2 i think is easier for a beginner to do. The first phase is all core work and hard but manageable, the 2nd phase is strength training and the third is about performance.

Some of the htings i have found that help is to saty hydrated all throughout the day. i have a 32 oz nalgene bottle that i fill up probably 3-4 times throughout the day. I know you have heard this before but if you are thirsty you are not drinking enough. Also try and eat 5-6 times a day. Much easier said than done but it keeps a constant flow of fuel to your body which aids in burning fat. If you skip meals and then eat larger meals your body will go into recovery mode which will store more of the food as fat for later use.

The one caveat for p90x2 though is if you don't have somehwat of good balance to start out you will have trouble at first as the exercises are very core/balance oriented. Luckily i have really good balance so i didn't have trouble but my fiancee saw me working out and said there was no way she could do those exercises without falling on her face she does NOT have good balance....

Find something you enjoy doing and it won't seem like you are working out but rather just doing part of your routine. You could always pick up a sport that is more active cardio like cycling too. WHen i am really riding a lot, 250-300 miles a week, i can pretty much eat whatever and as much as i want because i need about 6k calories a day just to not bonk and it burns fat and tones better than anything i have done in the past.
post #8 of 22 Old 07-12-2013, 08:45 AM
Rock God

Partial-Reps?

Any of y'all used partial reps?

Specifically- have any of you used a partial-specific routine to regain size or strength after an injury? Everything I have found so far involves incorporation of partials into the routine, as opposed to starting from scratch.

Anyone have first hand experience or testimony on this? Physiologically it makes perfect sense for a weakened body... but before I put 6 weeks into it I am trying to make sure I want to try six weeks of it instead of typical return-routines.

Soon to be a vendor!!!
Looking for a good Rat Rod JK donor vehicle.

Last edited by DeucesALLin; 07-12-2013 at 08:48 AM.
post #9 of 22 Old 07-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post
Find something you enjoy doing and it won't seem like you are working out but rather just doing part of your routine. You could always pick up a sport that is more active cardio like cycling too. WHen i am really riding a lot, 250-300 miles a week, i can pretty much eat whatever and as much as i want because i need about 6k calories a day just to not bonk and it burns fat and tones better than anything i have done in the past.
^^^my mindset^^^

I believe it is MUCH EASIER to increase caloric need then reduce caloric intake.

Soon to be a vendor!!!
Looking for a good Rat Rod JK donor vehicle.
post #10 of 22 Old 07-12-2013, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

That is where I have had the hardest time, the holes in my feeding schedule, sometimes i'll wake up and blow out the door without eating for five to seven hours. I know it's bad so I started paying more attention to it recently. I really need to get back on my bike and ride, but it's sooo fucking hot right now in Phoenix, the only feasible time to ride is late at night or super early which with my work schedule makes that damn near impossible during the summer (on call service). I often lament that the only reason I am still relatively thin is because of all the hard work I did in my twenties. I used to ride 300+miles a week for years and during that time I was in the best shape of my life. I need to get back to that place somehow. For now, I figure a routine of any kind is better than watching the Discovery channel or sitting on the internet during that free time. I have already lost 3 pounds in the last two weeks, so that is a minor victory to me.

Quote:
post #11 of 22 Old 07-14-2013, 09:01 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeucesALLin View Post
Any of y'all used partial reps?

Specifically- have any of you used a partial-specific routine to regain size or strength after an injury? Everything I have found so far involves incorporation of partials into the routine, as opposed to starting from scratch.

Anyone have first hand experience or testimony on this? Physiologically it makes perfect sense for a weakened body... but before I put 6 weeks into it I am trying to make sure I want to try six weeks of it instead of typical return-routines.
I have been involved in weight training/competition my whole life. My body has paid the price. I had surgery for a SLAP tear (shoulder labrum) last July. I never did any partial reps of anything. My PT, who is awesome, told me quite the opposite. One of the many keys recovering from an injury is to restore mobility and range of motion.

The only time in my entire career doing anything partial was once you have reached a very high level and you need to concentrate on a weak spot. I will use the bench press as an example as everyone can pretty much identify with that. If you find you have a weak spot at the lock out around the last 3 inches or so, you can do rack lockouts. We also use board presses to hit weak spots in any area of the range of motion. Again, this is not for someone just looking to be a little stronger and get in shape. FWIW, if anyone has any questions, I don't know much about anything else but I can lift heavy things. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions.

As mentioned above, Crossfit is awesome. You can go to the Crossfit website and follow along at home. They post all WODs (workout of the day). You can typically get away with following along with minimal equipment. I would recommend a pullup bar. For most other exercises, you can find substitutions if you are lacking the equipment.
post #12 of 22 Old 07-30-2013, 06:09 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
You don't have to join a crossfit gym, cuz the prices are through the roof..

But google some crossfit excercises on YouTube or the webz and Incoperate those... Awesome full body, core, and body weight excersises.

For the past two years I have been doing a lot of crossfit style workouts, no rest, multiple excersises, own body weight and core excersises...

I can honestly say that I have worked out my entire life, and always been athletic but at 40 I am in the best shape of my life !

My other trick as drinking a water bottle or two at the end of my work shift and going home with a full belly of water, stopped me from eating like shit and drinking a few bears when I got home right before bed.. I still eat what I want, just make sure I burn it off the next day

A couple friends of mine in the area own a couple Crossfit gyms and while Ide love to go there are a few problems. One is the cost at about $150/mo. Then there is the drive there, socializing for 30 minutes, and the drive home. Im lucky if I can get an hour a day to myself. A few years ago I joined a local crossfit gym for 3 months, learned the technical lifts and varying techniques and bought the stuff needed for my basement. Crossfit started in a garage and there is no need to go to an expensive gym, at least not long term, to get the benefits. The only down side is I don't think youll ever push yourself quite as hard when alone as when there are some hot women around yelling "one more you mother fucker"

2012 Rubicon Unlimited

Its almost done!!!!!!!!!!!
-Dan Jones
post #13 of 22 Old 07-30-2013, 06:36 AM
Rock God

Due to my wife's job, we have moved about every year and a half 3 times now and I seem to gain 20 lbs every time due to eating out during the process, living in temporary housing and getting settled in a new place. Then it seems I spend the next year trying to loose it all, only to find out we're moving again.

I did P90x after the first move to Denver and I enjoyed it for a while and while it definitely worked and I got into about the best shape I have been in for 15 years, I got pretty burned out on it.

Then we moved to Knoxville, gained my 20 and decided I needed to loose it before going to Mexico for a friends wedding. Mostly ran and mountain biked, but worked in some P90x (mostly core) and thought that was a good balance.

Now we're in Charlotte, I'm back up 20 and starting to get back into running and biking. (I'm sitting here in my running gear procrastinating as I type)

I think that the biggest thing that helps me is having some sort of goal or event to actually be preparing for. ie vacation, trip back home or a 5k or something.

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 22 Old 09-10-2013, 07:24 PM

My advice, be consistent period. Depending on your goals, just going on a consistent basis is 90% of the battle. .02

AZ Undertakers
post #15 of 22 Old 09-10-2013, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by howyadoin View Post
My advice, be consistent period. Depending on your goals, just going on a consistent basis is 90% of the battle. .02
Hey! Another VJC convert! I have done pretty well up until last week when I got sick with chest and head congestion. Working out wasn't an option. Otherwise, I have been going two and half months strong. Got back on the routine last night and going for it again tonight even though it feels like Tyson punched me in the gut. Happy to say that my reps have nearly doubled with the same weight in the last month and it might be tripling here soon. Thanks for the advice, Brother!

Quote:
post #16 of 22 Old 09-11-2013, 04:48 AM
Rock God

I go 4 mornings a week (hopefully). Supersets for 40 minutes, my theory is that keeping my heart rate up for that timeframe replaces my cardio.
Day 1: chest/back
Day 2: arms
Day 3: legs
Day 4: shoulders
About every 2 months I'll switch up the exercises for each body part.

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.
post #17 of 22 Old 09-11-2013, 06:55 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopher View Post
I go 4 mornings a week (hopefully). Supersets for 40 minutes, my theory is that keeping my heart rate up for that timeframe replaces my cardio.
Day 1: chest/back
Day 2: arms
Day 3: legs
Day 4: shoulders
About every 2 months I'll switch up the exercises for each body part.
Heart rate is key ! Never paid much attention to it when working out when I was younger and trying to get big by lifting heavy. But now it is a staple !

I look like a fawking wierdo doing crossfit excercises and and being the only one drenched in sweat at my planet fitness gym filled with old folks and people just starting to work out but the increased heart rate for extended periods of time is great for endurance, cardio, burning calories and staying in shape.

I had a physical where the doctor said he wanted to see if I could reach 75 % of my max heart rate. I told him I do 85% for an hour about four or five times a week... Doc said.. Really ? Ok.. Physical is pretty much over

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #18 of 22 Old 09-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Rock God

That makes you the ONLY person in a planet fitness being productive. I went to one of those for about a week. Grunt or drop a weight, they set off a siren and tell you to not do it again. However, sit on a bench with three friends and text away, please come in! Asshats!

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.
post #19 of 22 Old 09-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Granite Guru

Just going to throw my two cents into the mix.
- Like someone else stated earlier, pick a workout regiment that you enjoy. If you don't, it won't last.
- Set goals. When I say that I mean short term realistic goals. Doesn't have to be huge expectations but something to cross off as they are achieved so you can set more.
- I recommend running outside rather than a workout. Not only do the hills actually apply difficulty but it gets you out and once you are halfway, you can't just jump off and call it quits.
- I am in the Army and even though they have came out with a new pt regiment (PRT), I do crossfit on my own. At my last duty station, I didn't like the local "box" so I used the "wods" online and conducted them at the gym. If you are interested in crossfit but don't want to join a box check out this website: http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index..../viewforum/16/. They post daily wods and within each thread there is scaled down versions for each exercise.
post #20 of 22 Old 09-13-2013, 03:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Always been a weight lifter and only ran for my semi-annual PT test. Well low and behold our gym at work has black mold and removing it is taking atleast a month longer than expected. So I have picked up running. Gotta exercise I love to eat way to much. Currently running 3-4 times a week between 2-4 miles.

Like stated above once your half way you cant just stop you still got to make it home. I also downloaded the nike running app and its helped a lot in setting milestones for speed and distance.

Just my .02 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
This is one reason I have a strict policy of not eating anything out of another dudes butt. Flick it with my tongue? Sure. Run my tongue around the rim? Depends. Dart my tongue in for a brief second? Maybe. Eat something out of it? No fuckin' way!
If you want to know whats on it check my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 22 Old 09-13-2013, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

I've been averaging 5-7 miles around 2-3 times a week along with 125 sit ups and various old school dumbell free weight stuff. It has been helping. I cannot wait for the temps to get back below triple digit to hit my Mt. Bike again and start plugging away 20+ mile rides like I used to.

Quote:
post #22 of 22 Old 09-15-2013, 08:34 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
I've been averaging 5-7 miles around 2-3 times a week along with 125 sit ups and various old school dumbell free weight stuff. It has been helping. I cannot wait for the temps to get back below triple digit to hit my Mt. Bike again and start plugging away 20+ mile rides like I used to.
May I suggest you start adding compound exercises and bumping the weight as you master the movements. You'll get maximum result for your effort this way.

2012 JKU Altitude
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode