scuba!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 96 Old 05-20-2009, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Send a message via Skype™ to rage344
scuba!!

any divers in here

Riverraider Rubicon 2 door (under construction)
[QUOTE=priell3;158092] you have the old style with dirty balls.QUOTE]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 Old 05-20-2009, 08:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rage344 View Post
any divers in here
Muff
post #3 of 96 Old 05-20-2009, 08:26 AM
TrailDuty.com

Yup! Use Nitrox whenever I can and always carry a pony bottle.

Here's some Christmas Tree worms I snapped out at the Flower Gardens in the Gulf of Mexico.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 96 Old 05-20-2009, 09:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

^ WOW! Great pic. I'm an AOW PADI dork Dove from NY down the East Coast to the Caribbean back when I didn't have a Jeep to steal all my $ Miss it terribly Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #5 of 96 Old 05-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Banned

Been diving since 1990 (NAUI/YMCA). PADI divers (no offense) scare me. I once dove w/ a guy on a shore dive off of Bradenton. Was his first solo dive. He had done ONE check out dive and the rest of his entire course on the internet. Guy lost me in about 5 minutes and I surfaced expecting him to surface too - so we could hook back up. Didn't him again til he came out of the water 30 minutes later going "where did you go man? that was a great dive!" The worst part: he had cocaine boogers all over his face when he took his mask off. I didnt tell him about it and let him walk off to his car.

Anyone in the central fl area that wants to get back into diving: drop me a line.

Yeah and fantastic pic Phil!

Last edited by karnuvore; 05-20-2009 at 10:27 AM.
post #6 of 96 Old 05-20-2009, 10:28 AM
JKO Addict!

^Yikes! Yeah, I did it all in person- 3 in a pool, 2 in the ocean. OVER THE INTERNET?! That's insane- great way to get yourself killed.
I personally hate the "resort course" crap- I did a dive off Provo with a group of those jokers- some poor woman saw SOMETHING she didn't like (her husband right next to her didn't see anything- poor bastard), and booked it for the surface, holding her breath and kicking as hard as she could. One of the least pleasant things I've ever seen- chest all purple, blood all over her head (from ears, nose, mouth, eyes)- terrible way to go. Bad way to end the honeymoon.
None taken- I have over 300 dives that WERE logged- lost my damn book! Actually, do you know what I can do to re-claim those towards a divemaster cert? Would love to finally get one if I move back south- Mark W.

post #7 of 96 Old 05-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Alec W

I'm PADI certified, but did it in Mexico, so not that much better than the internet guy

Only made about 30 dives in Cozumel (cool drift dives) and the Turks and Caicos islands (great wall dives). Own all my own gear except a tank but living in Denver don’t get to use it very often. Actually I haven’t been diving for about 5 years so need a refresher course.
post #8 of 96 Old 05-20-2009, 12:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Hey Alec- who'd you dive with in the Turks? I used to bubble with the Turtle Divers- good folks, nice boats, and usually brought all the pretty tourists along Mark W.

post #9 of 96 Old 05-20-2009, 12:14 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

I have naui open water, advanced open water, nitrox, and cavern. I have cave 1 and cave 2 from GUE. I also have a DPV card from some mickey mouse organization. Heres a video we shot a couple of years ago. My buddy shot the video and im the diver. No DPVs here, they dont allow them, too small, low, and silty i guess.....

YouTube - Madison Blue

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #10 of 96 Old 05-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Rock God

Twentynine years now. Got back from two weeks in the Carribean in Nov/Dec. Trying to get a quick 4-5 day trip soon to get my daughter in the water for a few days before she goes off to college in August.

Twenty years as a rescue diver, federal, state and now just for fun.

Colorado Mountains = Land of Mountain Trails

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13

'08 JK Sahara, Jeep Green, BFG MT's, Pro Comp 4" Lift, Smittybuilt XRC8 Winch, Olympic BOA front & Olympic Defender rear bumpers, Olympic A/T Slider Rails, Spidertrax Spacers, SeatGlover Seat Covers, Bestop TrekTop, Husky Mats, Midland 75-822 CB, Magellan Maestro 3250.
post #11 of 96 Old 05-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Rock God

I've been diving about 14 years now. I don't get out as much as I'd like anymore though. I used to hit the keys twice a year, but now all I hit is the murky NE Florida spots. (not really that fun-90+ft.)

BTW-NAUI

BIG RED JEEP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 96 Old 05-20-2009, 06:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Interesting timing on the post - Face (Corey D) and I were just talking about diving in a PM.

I have been diving for about 20 years now, spent the last 11 as the Dive Team Sergeant for the Sheriff's Office in Houston. Did the whole trimix/cave/deep tech/wreck/recovery/etc... thing for a while including mixed gas blender which is usually good for a free ride on tech trips. The time spent on the dive team has been unbelievable, from high speed training (bomb school/UW anti-terrorist go-fast boat driving etc...) to diving for the space shuttle as a part of the disaster response, Aruba as part of the Natalee Holloway search and everything in between. Good times.... mostly.

The Flower Garden Banks (for the LA/Texas Gulf Coast folks) is a great place to dive. I have worked the MV Spree/Fling since 1994. The Spree is headed to the Dry Tortugas in FLA so you FLA folks go say hello to Frank and Mel - two fine folks and a great boat. Fling Charters still run folks to the FGB from Freeport - Cpt Ken and Sharon are great folks as well.

I retired from the SO / Dive Team last month... gonna miss getting the truck dirty.... (and letting the turds clean it up)

Here is one of my favorite diving pics.... not a high voltage dive just a quick dip in Vortex springs during a buddies cavern cert.

Also from the Flower Gardens.. that is the spree topside right above the big Manta, who I think is M20...

Last edited by Mr.RonGilbert; 05-20-2009 at 07:01 PM.
post #13 of 96 Old 05-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Banned

Best diving Ive ever done was in the tortugas. There is a MONSTER jewfish living under the dock at the fort.

post #14 of 96 Old 05-20-2009, 07:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
Best diving Ive ever done was in the tortugas. There is a MONSTER jewfish living under the dock at the fort.
I have heard about a monster JF that lives out there. If you go back try and go on the Spree - that boat kicks azz.. pumping nothing but nitrox... it's a converted 100' crew boat. and set up very nice.

post #15 of 96 Old 05-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Banned

I had the good fortune of having a friend who had a dad who was a doctor. Long story short - he could sail and chartered a 45' sailing yacht when we went. I hope it wasnt a once in a lifetime trip for me - but if it was, man it was amazing. Wrecks everywhere. You could literally anchor up at ANY point and find amazing reef to dive. And nothing significantly deeper than 30-40'.

post #16 of 96 Old 05-21-2009, 09:13 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

I need to stop looking at this thread. I dont want to start back up another very expensive hobby. The first thing id have to do to start back cave diving is get about 20 tanks hydro'd. I could buy a tire and a half with that money.

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #17 of 96 Old 05-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Banned

Yeah no s h i t. I spent about an hour last night pricing dive gear lol.

post #18 of 96 Old 05-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

yeah, i have about 30k worth of dive gear collecting dust. I cant make myself sell any of it though.

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #19 of 96 Old 05-21-2009, 07:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE View Post
yeah, i have about 30k worth of dive gear collecting dust. I cant make myself sell any of it though.

corey d
I feel ya.. it is interesting how much we accumulate over time. I was lucky when it came to the maintenance, someone else was picking up the ticket on the PMs/hydros etc... and when something broke they replaced it. Gonna miss that a little... that and the Viking dry suit and woolly undies... oh.. and the compressor - no more free gas...

I am keeping my stuff and am going to do more "good time" diving. I have had enough of the ship channel, bayous, ditches and swamps!

Not going to miss the ship searches....

Or the recoveries..... this one had a family of seven, two made it out:

Last edited by Mr.RonGilbert; 05-21-2009 at 07:16 PM.
post #20 of 96 Old 05-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

I dont want any part of that kind of diving.

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #21 of 96 Old 05-22-2009, 03:11 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Phil That picture of the Flower Gardens brings me back to my checkout dive with the Lafayette, La. Scuba Divers back in 63. It still a destination I see. Last dive I did was off of an Island off the west coast of Costa Rica a couple of years ago. I remember watching Sea Hunt on TV back in the early 60's with Lloyd Bridges. thats what got me interested. Spearfishing under the Gulf rigs out of Cameron, Morgan City and Grand Ilse is something I miss.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015

Last edited by RubiCajun; 05-22-2009 at 03:14 AM.
post #22 of 96 Old 05-22-2009, 11:28 AM
Rock God

I am SSI certified.I have been so for 9 years.I usually dive off the coast of Savannah.I go down to Ginnie for fun and love every minute of it.As a matter of fact,I'm planning on being down there next weekend.My wife and two best friends also dive and we all have a good time together.I have sworn off charters.I dive in the Maye River in Bluffton alot looking for shark's teeth and whale bones.That's about the only blackwater diving I enjoy.I also want no part of rescue diving.

'08 Rubicon UL Red Rock(SOLD)
'83 CJ-7
post #23 of 96 Old 05-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Banned

You're gonna be at Ginnie Springs next weekend?

post #24 of 96 Old 05-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
You're gonna be at Ginnie Springs next weekend?
That's the plan.Two of my buddies are doing their check-out dive this weekend and next weekend we are going to take them to Ginnie to log some bottom time.Why,are you gonna be around?

'08 Rubicon UL Red Rock(SOLD)
'83 CJ-7
post #25 of 96 Old 05-22-2009, 02:25 PM
Banned

I am now. Lemme clear it w/ the boss. I'll see if I can get some buddies to head up that way w/ me. I dont have gear - so I'll be snorkeling - but that's fine by me. Cool. Havent been to Ginnie in quite a long time!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode