MTB with GoPro - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 04-13-2012, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

MTB with GoPro

I just got a new GoPro decided to test it out on my bike the other day. The handlebar mount makes for some shaky video I may try the mount in different positions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-13-2012, 09:50 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Hey Jeff, maybe move the camera to your helmet and use yourself for the "stabilizer"? Also, on your Vimeo account, you have a video with a red TJ from Higher Ground, is that Russ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #3 of 22 Old 04-13-2012, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Yeah I have heard the helmet mount works pretty good but I have a habit of not staying on my bike at times so I figured the camera was safer on the bike Haha. Yeah I went wheeling with Russ about a month ago up at Table Mesa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 04-13-2012, 10:47 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Thought that was the Brotobeast... Haven't seen him in a long time. Then again, I'm just a web wheeler anymore thanks to work, young kids, and life.

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #5 of 22 Old 04-13-2012, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

He is a lot of fun to wheel with
post #6 of 22 Old 04-19-2012, 04:45 AM
Rock God

Go pro makes a chest rig that is pretty comfortable and you might be a little less likely to tear up your camera when you decide to come off.
post #7 of 22 Old 04-19-2012, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks for the recommendation I will give it a try. I dont think Im going to do video for most of my rides because they really wouldnt be that fun to watch but it is fun to mess with.
post #8 of 22 Old 04-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Rock God

Garage

I have the helmet mount. I like it better than the handlebar mount. How you like your gopro so far??

Need advice or parts without all the bs. Call Marcus at River City Offroad
"Things are starting to come, what I like to call, together."
"Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it."
post #9 of 22 Old 04-19-2012, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

That has been the only time I have got to use it so far but it is fun. Should get to use it with the jeep this weekend.
post #10 of 22 Old 04-20-2012, 06:49 AM
Rock God

2x on the chest mount. The perspective makes the video more interesting because your arms and handle bar will be in the frame so you see how much body motion goes into the ride. The helmet mount is good if you have someone in front of you to give the video some perspective otherwise, like the handlebar mount you are staring at a bare trail with nothing to give you an indication as to what it takes to ride the trail.
Nice job though!
I used to race Down Hill so I am no stranger to video. Before the GoPro days we used to take a block of foam and hollow it out and stuff a small camcorder in it then zip tie it to our helmets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 JKUR- 3 Inch Synergy Stage III Lift, PR44, 1310 Shafts, RROR Skids, 37" MTR's, Warn 9.5Ti, Bumpers, Sliders, OBA, Lights... bla bla bla
post #11 of 22 Old 04-21-2012, 01:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Let me know when you are ready for your next MTB outing!
post #12 of 22 Old 04-22-2012, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose512 View Post
Let me know when you are ready for your next MTB outing!
Will do Moose, I am hoping to get a few more rides in before it gets too hot
post #13 of 22 Old 04-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Granite Guru

The chest mount takes the best videos.
post #14 of 22 Old 04-22-2012, 08:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeloJeff View Post
Will do Moose, I am hoping to get a few more rides in before it gets too hot
May be too late judging by yesterday and today! Now that the snowbirds have returned home I am able to ride and get back into shape. Spent some time on the road bike yesterday and it was getting really hot at the end of the ride.

Some trips to Flag or Sedona may be in order. I just ordered a Tallboy LT that I am going to be stoked to ride when I take delivery.
post #15 of 22 Old 04-22-2012, 08:47 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

If you guys are willing to do trails that are hard tail friendly, I'd love to get back out there too. I haven't been on any trails up north and would love to do so... Let me know. Thank you!

Quote:
post #16 of 22 Old 04-22-2012, 10:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
If you guys are willing to do trails that are hard tail friendly, I'd love to get back out there too. I haven't been on any trails up north and would love to do so... Let me know. Thank you!
Sounds like a JKO "singletrack" run needs to get organized. Is your HT a 26 or 29er? Lot of guys are riding hardtails these days and most of the trails I have ridden in the valley are hardtail friendly.
post #17 of 22 Old 04-22-2012, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Chris all the trails I have done around here are hard tail friendly. I ride an old santa cruz superlight that doesnt have much travel. I usually ride at Estrella Mtn because its close to my house.

I really want to get some rides in at either Prescott or Sedona this summer!
post #18 of 22 Old 04-22-2012, 10:50 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Sounds like a JKO "singletrack" run needs to get organized. Is your HT a 26 or 29er? Lot of guys are riding hardtails these days and most of the trails I have ridden in the valley are hardtail friendly.
I have a 26" '08 Diamondback Response (the model before they split the levels into sport, comp, etc., and ruined the frame in the process) with 100mm of front fork travel so it will do pretty well. I have always been a hard tail fan, the FS bikes were not very good on single track until they got smart and locked out the rear. They are still too heavy in my mind for good all around riding. Sounds like I need to start trail riding again.

Quote:
Chris all the trails I have done around here are hard tail friendly. I ride an old santa cruz superlight that doesnt have much travel. I usually ride at Estrella Mtn because its close to my house.

That would be my goal too. I would love to see some of the red rock trails in a more open manner than even a Jeep. I have a trail guide around here somewhere, I'll have to see if I can find it.

It would be cool to get out with you guys and do something active.

Quote:
post #19 of 22 Old 04-23-2012, 09:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I usually ride at Estrella Mtn because its close to my house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
That would be my goal too. I would love to see some of the red rock trails in a more open manner than even a Jeep. I have a trail guide around here somewhere, I'll have to see if I can find it.

It would be cool to get out with you guys and do something active.
Have not been to Estrella. Trail 100 is next to my house so I ride it more then anywhere but I have also done the Gateway loop on the Scottsdale side of the McDowells and love riding the competition tracks out at McDowell Park (Fountain Hills) when I get the chance.

I have heard some really good things about the Black Canyon Trail and want to try it out one of these days. Also looking forward to exploring some Sedona and Flagstaff singletrack. I am going to Big Bear for the Jeep Jamboree Mother's day weekend but after that we should plan some rides.
post #20 of 22 Old 04-23-2012, 09:26 PM
Rock God

I'd love to get out with you guys sometime. I've been riding a garbage cheapy bike, so need to step up to something nicer before hitting any decent trails.

Aaron
2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #21 of 22 Old 04-23-2012, 09:38 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Have not been to Estrella. Trail 100 is next to my house so I ride it more then anywhere but I have also done the Gateway loop on the Scottsdale side of the McDowells and love riding the competition tracks out at McDowell Park (Fountain Hills) when I get the chance.

I have heard some really good things about the Black Canyon Trail and want to try it out one of these days. Also looking forward to exploring some Sedona and Flagstaff singletrack. I am going to Big Bear for the Jeep Jamboree Mother's day weekend but after that we should plan some rides.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snksknr94 View Post
I'd love to get out with you guys sometime. I've been riding a garbage cheapy bike, so need to step up to something nicer before hitting any decent trails.
Sounds like we have a nice little riding group already. Let's make it happen!

Quote:
post #22 of 22 Old 04-23-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Let me know anytime you guys go out and I will try to make it. It is supposed to be cool on thurs so I will probably go out for a ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode