New compound bow - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 01-11-2012, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
ADDICTION II build begins....

New compound bow

Just bought me a PSE Stinger 3G Compound bow "ready to shoot"....came with the Gemini Sight, QS Whisker Biscuit, Flexxtech Stabilizer, Mongoose Quiver, PSE Neoprene Sling, Peep Sight and Nock Loop!

Figured since my wife and son are really into it now and I have been swapping out with them on their bows, that it was time for me to get one so we can all shoot together! After all, they are both REALLY good! I definitely wouldnt want to stand downrange of either of them with their bows ready to fire!

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TXROCK; 01-15-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-12-2012, 08:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Sounds like a nice setup, I have been wanting a bow for a while now I just have no experience with one or with hunting, and no one to close to teach my ass. Anyway good luck with the new setup!

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #3 of 13 Old 01-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

You got a pic of the delivery guy...but not this??

Sounds sweet. Always wanted to get into archery.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-12-2012, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Here is the bow! I got the Right Handed 60# and will adjust down to 45 pounds according to the local archery shop. But I didn't order through them. They wanted $399 for a plain bow with nothing on it and $545 for a ready to hunt package. I found the same bow with everything on Amazon as well as the main PSE company page for $399 with EVERYTHING on it and $18 shipping. The only thing I didn't get with it by saving $145 was a bow case, trigger/release, and 4 arrows. The trigger is $20, 4 Arrows is $20 and you can get a case from $20-70 depending on what you want.

They were helpful, but the principal of selling the same bow (that by factory comes with EVERYTHING) for the same price as factory but stripped down then trying to make extra money on the parts that came with the bow threw red flags to NOT be a customer. And I found another archery store I can go to if needed even though they are farther away....but how hard is that living on an Island!

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TXROCK; 03-16-2014 at 01:24 AM.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-12-2012, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

and for those interested but nobody to teach, it's not hard at all to figure out if you are good at shooting anything else. They have taken all the guess work out of it. You just need a trigger that connects to the "Nock" loop, and and arm guard to make sure you don't BRUISE your forearm....AND YOU WILL without it!!

For the bow, the main things you want to look for is a single cam bow (easier for adjustments without timing issues), dual cam (but can have timing issues if the strings stretch), a site (trophy 3-4 pin is a good one....usually comes on PSE and Bear bows), quiver mounted to the side to hold from 4-6 arrows (comes with Bear and PSE bows), sling (comes with PSE bows), and a stabilizer ($20....comes with some Bear bows and all ready to shoot PSE bows).

From there it's just a matter of adjusting the draw length to your draw and test firing it using the sites and aligning the pin sites to where you want for distance. Usually they are set with the bow for 10, 20, and 30 yards, but you can adjust them for whatever distance you want.

The key to aiming is that the circle of your peep site on the string should overlay the circle of the front sight (if you have the circular trophy site). From there you place whichever dot you need per distance on the target and then release! Depending on where you hit will depend on how you adjust, but that is it and very easy to do.

***NOTE: place the trigger on the nock loop, lock the trigger around the nock loop then take your finger off the trigger. Pull back on the the string using the trigger attached to the wrist, but do not put your finger on the trigger until you are absolutely ready. Also, while pulling the arrow back into place to fire, keep the bow and arrow pointed to the ground just in case you bump the trigger. By doing so, you ensure the arrow isn't going to fly off into someone's house or someone's body, or someone's dog downrange of where the arrow will fly!

U.S. Army

Last edited by TXROCK; 01-12-2012 at 11:28 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-13-2012, 09:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Thanks for the info buddy I will definitely let you know if I have any questions cause you obviously know what your talking about. Thanks again

PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #7 of 13 Old 01-13-2012, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

You're welcome....and one more tip......

NEVER DRY FIRE A COMPOUND BOW! Doing so can cause MAJOR damage to your bow that may or may not be fixable.

U.S. Army
post #8 of 13 Old 01-15-2012, 01:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXROCK View Post

NEVER DRY FIRE A COMPOUND BOW! Doing so can cause MAJOR damage to your bow that may or may not be fixable.
ya i have heard that is very hard on the bow, thanks for the reminder I will definitely keep that in mind

post #9 of 13 Old 01-15-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

just bought a Plano hard case ($40), 12 Gold Tip arrows ($40 with sportsmans guide membership), and trigger for $15 and still came out with the total package the local archery shop was going to sell me for almost $50 less!

U.S. Army
post #10 of 13 Old 01-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Granite Guru

My bow

..2010 Hoyt maxxis 35 60-70# limbs (set at 64#) HHA 5019 slider sight QAD pro dropaway rest 7" Octane stabilizer Bohning 4 arrow quiver I fling Beaman Bonecollector 400 spine arrows Last pic is my Trufire 3D hunter releases

post #11 of 13 Old 04-18-2012, 05:35 AM
Wheeler

Garage

I shoot an older PSE... 2008 X-Force Dream Season... 70# Its fast and wants to go...

Dirty Korean : XRC front and rear bumpers, XRC ARMOR front & rear fenders, stock everything else for now...
post #12 of 13 Old 04-18-2012, 05:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXROCK View Post

Don't do it with recurves, either.

I never owned a compound...always wanted one.

I used to shoot competitive target archery (Olympic style). I had a Hoyt TD...we're talking old school. I was involved in the sport back in the late 70's to the mid 80's. I used to go to The World Archery Center (TWAC) in the summer for training. I got to shoot along side of people like Rick McKinney, Darrel Pace and the Italian Olympic Archery team.

Vidi, vici, veni

2008 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #13 of 13 Old 04-18-2012, 06:59 AM
Granite Guru

Looks good!
I'm a mathews guy.. MR7 all the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode