Purchased Liftime Tent Trailer - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-10-2012, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Purchased Liftime Tent Trailer

Well folks, I sold my 74 CJ-5 recently and purchased a Lifetime Tent Trailer to fill it's place the garage. I've done a lot of research on them but there's not a lot of information out there. My wife really liked the idea but we knew we'd have to sell the CJ to fund it. The rest of the money is going to other JK things, but I'm really excited none the less. Here's the demo video on youtube if anyone isn't familiar with it.

*UPDATE* It arrived today, and I was able to get it completely assembled, I'll take some more pics and post them up shortly!

Lifetime Tent Trailer - YouTube

I found a thread on another forum somewhere, a guy had put used 31's, a 2.5" BS wheel, a different receiver, different trailer fenders and wheeled with it pretty well. I'm not sure what my plans will be, but I look forward to getting out camping with it!

It will help fill the void of not owning a pickup to get firewood, trips to home depot, or any other shit I need to haul around. I think this will work out perfect for us.

I'll try to post as much information I can about it for other people who may be interested.
$2799 shipping included from Costco.com With California tax it came out to $3016.99. I was a bit taken back at the price but when compared to other trailers like the jumpin jack (about $5k+) and the expedition style (A lot$$) it was a good option for us. If I had the ability and tools I might consider building one for myself but this is the best option for us.
I found a thread on another forum where a guy bought some steel wheels, 5x4.5 with 2.5" back spacing (I believe, apparently that's what's needed to fit the trailer), 31" tires, bolted on aftermarket fenders, and a Lock'N'Roll Trailer Hitch. Looks awesome! I'll borrow the pics. Pretty awesome looking!

Here's the Jumping Jack and Lifetime differences I found on another forum from searching google. I happened to stumble across it again, thought I'd share the information here for others to have as reference.... These opinions are not my own, they are results from web wheeling the net

"Jumping Jack vs. Tent Trailer

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Jumping Jack is a 6x8 foot trailer while the Tent Trailer is a 5x7 foot trailer. So the Jumping jack carries more but has a wider wheel base. The Jumping Jack has a single wing that folds down and the tent trailer has a double wing that folds over and out that needs wing supports. Tent trailer has more sleeping area unless you purchase the extra bed converter for the jumping jack which makes the extra floor space smaller than the tent trailer. Both are around 95-96 sq. feet of room. At this point, there are more accessories for the Jumping Jack like the cooler rack, water rack and sink rack. It looks like the Jumping jack is a little quick to set up and take down. Jumping Jack GVWR is 3000 while the Tent Trailer is 2000 however the Tent Trailer is about 350 pounds lighter.

I've been looking for a Jumping Jack trailer for about 2 years but they weren't sold in Michigan. I almost had one on Craigslist but someone purchased it about an hour before I called to say I'll take it. So when Costco started selling this new tent trailer, I reviewed both designs and figured I would go with the tent trailer. Main advantage was cost and ability to purchase (and delivered). Over the Jumping Jack, I like that the beds are bigger without the bench accessories and the trailer is lighter/small which tracks nicely behind my Tacoma. Disadvantage is the wing supports that require a bit more level ground when set up but they do adjust up and down."

Both trailers are good deals, it just depends on what you plan to do with it."

1) JJ can carry 2 full-size ATVs, LTT only one (1800 lb payload vs 900)
2) LTT smaller in width, with a much larger sleeping area stock (just two inches from a queen sized sleeping area on each side). For me, this was a huge plus... smaller trail footprint with a larger sleeping area.
3) JJ tent setup very quick. For me, meh. LTT pretty quick also, but not "pop and go" like the JJ
4) JJ has canvas tent from what I understand, LTT has "rubberized" nylon.
5) Both are constructed using the same materials and concepts. Same company makes both (Lifetime purchased JJ). My guess is this was in JJ's product development pipeline before the purchase, and Lifetime decided to brand it under their own name.
6) No brake option on the LTT.
7) LTT is leaf-sprung solid axle, JJ is torsion bar suspended. A plus to the JJ in my opinion.
8) Integrated lights on the JJ... they hang off the sides of the LTT. For what it's worth on the LTT the lights are surrounded by very heavy steel plates.
9) Currently a lot more factory accessories for the JJ, next to none for the LTT. Hopefully, that changes over time.
10) Price... When I got my LTT, it was $3k at Costco. For that price, used JJs were on craigslist in my area, but I went this route anyway. I think the LTT now lists for $3500 at Costco. Primarily, this is because JJ has been around for a while, whereas the LTT looks to be new in 2009. Eventually, the used market for the LTT will place these in an even lower price category.

Like I said, I saw some of these differences as a positive in the direction of the LTT, but you may have differing requirements and needs. I personally wanted a profile that matched the width of my JK. Those with full-size trucks may not care about the 91" width of the JJ.

In fact, having just finished reading the Expo West link in full, I would say the LTT has all of the advantages the author lists in his conclusions (sturdy construction, an amazing amount of tent room), with none of the disadvantages (too wide)."

2011 Green JK Rubicon Unlimited Purchased 10/18/2011
Previous Jeeps include a 99 TJ Rock Crawler, 74 CJ-5, 06 TJ Rubicon, and a 2001 TJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-11-2012, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thought I'd toss up some pictures of the progress of the Lifetime Tent Trailer. I've completed it but don't have pictures of it with the tent up yet. I'll be taking some tomorrow. It was pretty wet outside when I finished. I'll have it set up in the sunshine to ensure it's completely dry before storing it away for a few days.

Previous Jeeps include a 99 TJ Rock Crawler, 74 CJ-5, 06 TJ Rubicon, and a 2001 TJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-11-2012, 05:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice!

2014 Rubicon on the build!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 01-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Rock God

Looks like that should make a good Expedition / camping trailer. Would have consider one of those, would have saved a lot of money, but went a different direction here is mine.

post #5 of 18 Old 01-16-2012, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RODICON View Post
Nice!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tight_wad View Post
Looks like that should make a good Expedition / camping trailer. Would have consider one of those, would have saved a lot of money, but went a different direction here is mine.
That's a nice looking setup! What size tires are you running on the trailer? I plan to put larger wheels and tires but am unsure if it will cause problems with the axle or bearings. I don't know how to find out how large of a tire I can go with.

post #6 of 18 Old 01-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Rock God

Thanks, I am running the same tires 305/70R17, that I use on my JKU. They are 34 inchers. I wanted them to match, so that I could carry only one size spare tire.

Not sure what for axle that trailer has, but keep in mind that it is a trailer and not a drive axle. With in reason, a trailer can handle a larger tire since it is only being pulled. And if needed, an axle on a trailer is just about the easiest thing to change out.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-16-2012, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tight_wad View Post
Thanks, I am running the same tires 305/70R17, that I use on my JKU. They are 34 inchers. I wanted them to match, so that I could carry only one size spare tire.

Not sure what for axle that trailer has, but keep in mind that it is a trailer and not a drive axle. With in reason, a trailer can handle a larger tire since it is only being pulled. And if needed, an axle on a trailer is just about the easiest thing to change out.
I like the idea of having the same wheels and tires on the trailer as the rig for spare purposes but I don't know if I can run a 37 on that trailer. Hell I don't even know if the legs of the fold out wings would touch the ground at that height I know I'd need to have a wheel adapter to go from 5 on 4.5 to 5 on 5 and the overall back spacing would have to be in the 2.5 ballpark. My wheels are going to be 3.5" BS plus an adapter would put me around 2" which would work.

post #8 of 18 Old 01-16-2012, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Here's some more pictures as promised. I was able to install the lift with the help from a friend just in time to go enjoy both this weekend! I went to my firewood guy and loaded up the whole rear space of the trailer with logs. The trailer pulled just fine, had some very strong winds and didn't have an issue. My only issue is the hamster under my hood. Overall had an awesome weekend, I just need to tweak a couple things with the lift.

For reference, my lift is a RK 3.5" X-Factor mid arm, Smittybilt rear bumper and I'm using a 6" drop receiver hitch.

post #9 of 18 Old 01-29-2012, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Using the utility feature of the trailer to make a run to the dump tomorrow, here's what it looks like.

Sides folded up with the tent bag still in...

Tent bag pulled out...

Loaded up! You can see cross support bars can be put in four different locations. Front and rear upper and lower positions.

Last edited by lunneborgc; 01-29-2012 at 07:56 PM.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Wheeler

I'm really digging your thread.

I've been looking at the JJ for years. Just coudn't justify the cost.

I think one of these is in my future.

Thanks for the posts.
post #11 of 18 Old 01-29-2012, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
I'm really digging your thread.

I've been looking at the JJ for years. Just coudn't justify the cost.

I think one of these is in my future.

Thanks for the posts.
No problem bud! I think I've posted about as many pictures as necessary to show the features of the trailer but if you have any specific requests for pics let me know and I'll toss them up here. I'm sure I'll have more pictures posted in the future anyway.

One thing to note, when the trailer is in the utility mode it does rattle quite a bit. I'll be working on something to quiet it down, it shouldn't be very difficult at all.

post #12 of 18 Old 07-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Wheeler

We'll they've changed the beds so they are supported on the trailer and not on the ground. They've also dropped the Costco price by $300.

Mine is on its way. Should be here next Wednesday.
post #13 of 18 Old 07-10-2012, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
We'll they've changed the beds so they are supported on the trailer and not on the ground. They've also dropped the Costco price by $300.

Mine is on its way. Should be here next Wednesday.
Wow, I didn't know they were changing that much. I might like the idea of the way the bed is supported if the beds can still be leveled. I can't find a picture of it all folded up, I'm sure it'll still be pretty awesome. Toss up a link here in this thread if you don't mind when you get a thread started for it with pictures. I'm looking forward to seeing it!

post #14 of 18 Old 07-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Rock God

Garage

nice little trailer , I have been eyeing the "campa" brand myself

2010 Unlimited
RIVER CITY OFFROAD
GREEN COUNTRY OFFROAD
DNA Fabrication
post #15 of 18 Old 07-11-2012, 08:18 AM
Wheeler

Here's a link to the Lifetime site showing the newer model.

http://www.buylifetime.com/Products/BLT/PID-65047.aspx

The downside to the changes is that the beds no longer fold all the way back over the bed of the trailer. They only go back to vertical.

Here's the Costco link.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...atchallpartial
post #16 of 18 Old 09-05-2012, 08:43 AM

This is awesome. I think I am going to pull the trigger. Seems like a perfect combo. Thanks for the pictures and story.

BLACK 2013 Rubicon Unlimited -Steve
_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Follow me on Twitter & Instagram: @SSgt93
post #17 of 18 Old 09-05-2012, 08:58 AM

The "new" version kind of sucks. It's too bad they made the queen sides twins and changed the design (skimped out).

BLACK 2013 Rubicon Unlimited -Steve
_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Follow me on Twitter & Instagram: @SSgt93
post #18 of 18 Old 08-08-2013, 09:29 PM
Wheeler

Sweet setup

2012 JKU Sport Silver
2.5 RE lift.
315/70/17 Nitto Dune Grapplers
XD Series - Strike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode