Recommend a double sleeping bag for below freezing? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 01-10-2012, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Recommend a double sleeping bag for below freezing?

Will be camping inside the 4-Dr, looking to buy a double sleeping bag for the next trip where we expect temperatures in the 20s overnight. Reading some things people are saying that even if a bag is rated to 15* that it won't be good enough because the ratings are lies.

Anyone have a decent double sleeping bag? Prefer one that will do well on our below freezing trip and potentially be useable in the spring time too.

Any advice??

-Brett
---------------------------------------------
My Jeep: 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 6-Spd Manual, Cosmos Blue
"The Smurf":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous Jeeps:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-11-2012, 06:47 AM
Rock God

Here is an article by Brett Woods a vendor here.
http://www.jeepswag.com/blog/
Give him a call, he will take good care of you.
Phone: (626)Trails1

Current Mods:
  1. Cleghorn tailpipe mod
  2. Cleghorn side step ventilation with Gold Mtn. enhancement
  3. Heartbreak Ridge bumper scuffs
  4. Goler gas tank skid mod
  5. Miscellaneous pin striping
  6. Woods evap cannister relocate (Wow, an intentional mod!)
  7. 2"BB and swapped in stock Rubi coils and shocks (thanks Seth!)
  8. Calico fender realignment and texturing
  9. Calico "explodey the side step" ez removal kit
  10. Stock Rubicon rails courtesy of JackTuttle (Thanks Jack!)
  11. Solid Axle dif covers
post #3 of 15 Old 01-11-2012, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks Mike, read the article and loved the information. Sadly though, they don't carry any doubles when I followed the link to their sleeping bag page. They only carry single-person bags.

-Brett
"The Smurf":

Previous Jeeps:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Rock God

if you are going to stay inside the cab it wont be as bad since there wont be any wind. personally i would just use a couple of quilts.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas View Post
if you are going to stay inside the cab it wont be as bad since there wont be any wind. personally i would just use a couple of quilts.
And you could always puss out and run the heater if it gets really unbearable... That heater is like a :flamethrowingsmiley

post #6 of 15 Old 01-11-2012, 02:17 PM
fnc
Rock God

I have no idea of your price range but have a look at this one:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Campi...Tz_stype%3DGNU

And yes, the temperature ratings aren't worth anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I can taste your meat from all the way up here.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-11-2012, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I'm trying to stick around $100 if possible.

I was looking at the TETON Mammoth rated to 0*F, seen here: http://www.tetonsports.com/TETON-Spo...eping-Bag.html

Anyone heard anything about that specific bag or the company in general?

-Brett
"The Smurf":

Previous Jeeps:

post #8 of 15 Old 01-11-2012, 03:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Just make sure you have a quality sleep pad. Don't use an air mattress or you will freeze your balls off.

I have a -7 deg bag (20 F) and I have been comfortable in some pretty cold situations. Cover your head and you will be good to go.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-11-2012, 03:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Just thought of something else,

Buy 2 bags but with zippers on opposite sides. You can get a really good bag for solo trips, and just zip them together when you need too.

It will open your options for colder weather bags.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-11-2012, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I was actually planning on an air mattress, but I'm going to layer a spare blanket between the mattress and sleeping bag for added insulation. Do you think this will be an issue still even with the extra layer between the mattress and sleeping bag?

-Brett
"The Smurf":

Previous Jeeps:

post #11 of 15 Old 01-11-2012, 03:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettDez View Post
I was actually planning on an air mattress, but I'm going to layer a spare blanket between the mattress and sleeping bag for added insulation. Do you think this will be an issue still even with the extra layer between the mattress and sleeping bag?
It might help, but I have found that an air mattress doesn't insulate well. I am always cold using an air matress when compared to a sleeping pad.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-11-2012, 04:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

A couple quilts will be easier to deal with and more comfortable, maybe add a 12 v heated blanket to be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDrinken View Post
Dirty Minion for life™.:the finger:
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
The fact that there is some Fag in you should be upsetting to say the least.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-11-2012, 04:08 PM
JKO Addict!

There are lots of bags made as solo units but are also built to zip together to make a double. This is the route I'd go.

I have a couple of Colemans rated to around 0 that I got around 10 yrs ago. Work great in either configuration.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #14 of 15 Old 01-13-2012, 07:34 AM
fnc
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
There are lots of bags made as solo units but are also built to zip together to make a double. This is the route I'd go.

I have a couple of Colemans rated to around 0 that I got around 10 yrs ago. Work great in either configuration.
If you can find some that zip together that is a great idea.

Also, instead of a heated blanket draining your battery or using gas to run your Jeep's heater (and possibly asphyxiating yourself) look at one of these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Sp...eater/13228604

Even though they are catalytic, you should leave a window cracked open a bit. This will help prevent condensation in the cab as well. I've used mine inside my tent many times without an issue. I don't leave it running all night, I just let it heat up the air enough to take the hard chill off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I can taste your meat from all the way up here.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Rock God

Been doing a ton of research on cold temperature camping and what I found has been really informative. What companies like Therm-A-Rest are saying is that the bottom insulation in a bag (i.e. - what you sleep on) is greatly reduced by compression. The more the bottom layer of insulation is compressed the less insulating it is.

To avoid this Therm-A-Rest recommends an insulating sleep pad with a down quilt on top. They claim this provides the most efficient thermal barrier available. I can't factually confirm this as my experience with this type of system is strictly theoretical but from the explanations provided it does make sense.

I'm currently looking into a Luxury Map mattress from Therm-A-Rest paired with their Alpine down blanket which is rated to 35* F. This specific system, although expensive, is supposed to be pretty damn good.

Those that the beast is looking for...
Listen in awe and you will hear him...
BARK AT THE MOON!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode