Skiers or Boarders??? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old 11-14-2011, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Skiers or Boarders???

Looking forward to another epic ski season again....snow is piling up at my local mountain! Post your epic ski/boarding adventures!

A few shots from last season with my 2 kids (my son 6 years old and my daughter 9).

Sub-peak shot

Shredding up a storm!

First day of boarding for my little guy!

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 11-14-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 11-21-2011, 12:38 PM
Granite Guru

For the sake of all that is holy, please teach them to stay in control, how to bail in a controlled manner if they lose control and that the SKIER/BOARDER DOWNHILL OF THEM HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY!

Been skiing for 25yrs and it seems mountain etiquette is not taught these days. My mother has been run over from behind by multiple boarders who then yell at her like it's her fault.

3.5" Rock Krawler Mid-Arm Flex, Bilstein 5100s, Smittybuilt XRC Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier, AEV ProCal, 37" Nitto TrailGrappler MTs, MB 72s, 5.38s, C Gussets
post #3 of 43 Old 11-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoachJeep View Post
For the sake of all that is holy, please teach them to stay in control, how to bail in a controlled manner if they lose control and that the SKIER/BOARDER DOWNHILL OF THEM HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY!

Been skiing for 25yrs and it seems mountain etiquette is not taught these days. My mother has been run over from behind by multiple boarders who then yell at her like it's her fault.
Its not boarders that are the problem. Its idiots and humans in general. Skiers do it too. Boarders just piss me off because the push all the snow off the mountain (east coaster here). People are act exactly the same on the road. It doesnt matter if you are driving a Jeep or a Ferrari.

RubiRed Unlimited

ARB bumpers
Superwinch 9.0i
3.5" AEV premium lift
35" KM2s, OR-Fab tire carrier
Viair on board air
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 11-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiRed Unlimited View Post
Its not boarders that are the problem. Its idiots and humans in general. Skiers do it too. Boarders just piss me off because the push all the snow off the mountain (east coaster here). People are act exactly the same on the road. It doesnt matter if you are driving a Jeep or a Ferrari.
Former skier and current snowboard instructor here and believe me skiers push more snow. Ever see snowboarders create moguls? dosent happen. The snow gets pushed around on the east coast due to it getting warm during the day then freezing at night creating layers of ice. The groomers only till down about 6 inches and that 6 inches gets pushed off ice pretty easily.

But you are right about jackasses they are everywhere in every sport in every walk of life... What can you do?

2011 JKU Rubicon
PSC Evap Skid
PSC Diff Covers
Dynomax Rock Crawler exhaust
ACE Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier
Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex W/ Bilstein 5100's
35" Nitto Trail Grappler's
post #5 of 43 Old 11-21-2011, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:

Where the hell did this come to think I am not teaching my kids the etiquette????? I have had my kids in ski/boarding lessons since the age of 3! My now 7 year old is skiing at a level 6 all-mountain group already with kids 14 to 16 year olds due to his ability! He enjoys POW and climbing to the peaks & shredding up the glades! He his in full control and knows the rules of skiing and boarding! My 9 year old daughter is the same, in control and enjoys shredding up the back-country on her board.

I get sick of some people on the ski slopes telling me I shouldn't be taking my small kids up to the peaks or much steeper terrain or hitting double black diamond, and they believe I am doing my kids a disfavor thinking they don't have the ability to ski/board the slopes...guess what??? I love it when my kids out perform their asses on the hill!

Quote:
Totally agree, boarders/skiers, adult & kids you are going to meet idiots on the hill.
post #6 of 43 Old 11-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
To say snowboarders push the snow off the hill is ridiculous. Think of it this way. Skiers have 2 skis, and 2 sets of edges scraping the snow. A snowboarder has only one set of edges scraping the snow.
As far as the downhill skier/boarder having the right of way, this is great, until the downhill skier suddenly and unexpectedly changes direction. An easy way to avoid this is for people to not make huge gs style turns on narrow runs.
Generally, its older skiers that make statements claiming snowboarders cause all the problems on the mountain. The problem is more that too many kids these days are raised with no respect for anyone, and less of a skier vs. snowboarder thing.

By the way, I used to ski, but I've been snowboarding for over 20 years now. I remember when snowboarders either were'nt allowed on most ski hills or were only allowed on a run or two. Boy how things have changed.

2011 JKU Rubi
2.5" RK Max Travel
35/12.5/17 Pro Comp MT
35/12.5 /17 Duratracs
Poison Spyder Evap Skid
Paramount front and rear bumpers
VKS Rocksliders
Fox 2.0 shocks
Recon 10,000lb Winch
Vision X Rock lights
Cobra 75

Last edited by Rubichronic; 11-21-2011 at 08:57 PM.
post #7 of 43 Old 11-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Granite Guru

Oops, totally forgot to mention. First day shredding pow today. Apparently 50cms tonight and another tomorrow night!

2011 JKU Rubi
2.5" RK Max Travel
35/12.5/17 Pro Comp MT
35/12.5 /17 Duratracs
Poison Spyder Evap Skid
VKS Rocksliders
Fox 2.0 shocks
Recon 10,000lb Winch
Vision X Rock lights
Cobra 75
post #8 of 43 Old 11-22-2011, 06:40 AM
Rock God

Garage

Didn't a few real famous people die on the mountain quiet a few years ago? They were both doing stupid shit, and both lost their lives. And guess what, they were on Ski's... There are idiots on both sides of the fence.

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #9 of 43 Old 11-22-2011, 06:49 AM
Rock God

Garage

Okay, back to the OP's request for pics... Enough with the bitching!

Big Mountain, Montana outside of Whitefish. I'm ready to hit the slopes again so bad I can taste it!

"Sweet ain't as sweet without the sour"
post #10 of 43 Old 11-22-2011, 07:01 AM
Rock God

Garage

My daughter taking her first ski lesson.

Mount Snow, VT

Killington, VT

This is a fun run.

Finishing up the day!

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #11 of 43 Old 11-22-2011, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubichronic View Post
Oops, totally forgot to mention. First day shredding pow today. Apparently 50cms tonight and another tomorrow night!

Same here Ron! Opening is on Saturday at Revelstoke....talked with one of my friends that grooms the mountain...already 6 ft at mid-station and over 10ft at the peak! Looking forward to another epic season!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victim Of Pain View Post
My daughter taking her first ski lesson.

How old??? Give her a year or two and she will be shredding up the POW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUJeep View Post
Okay, back to the OP's request for pics... Enough with the bitching!

Big Mountain, Montana outside of Whitefish. I'm ready to hit the slopes again so bad I can taste it!

Nice shot & great view! My kids & I are stoked for this season to hit the epic POW and GLADES once again!
post #12 of 43 Old 11-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevyJKU08 View Post

How old??? Give her a year or two and she will be shredding up the POW!
She was 4, had a lesson the year before but we had to lie about her age to get her in. This year should tell whether she really likes it or not. Then we'll switch her over to a board.

post #13 of 43 Old 11-22-2011, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victim Of Pain View Post
She was 4, had a lesson the year before but we had to lie about her age to get her in. This year should tell whether she really likes it or not. Then we'll switch her over to a board.
Awesome way to start them out young!
post #14 of 43 Old 11-22-2011, 10:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

Snowboarder here (12 years) and glad to be back on the slopes after living in Florida for 9 years.

Here are some shots of the weekend after Halloween at Sunday River, Maine this year. 2 trails open to advance early season peeps. The trail that came to the bottom of the mountain was optional and a huge ice waterfall. I opted for the scenic foliage chair ride route. The conditions were great and ever changing throughout the day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Attached Images

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 43 Old 11-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Rock God

Garage

Hey Revy.... A few buddies and I are considering Whistler for this year's trip. Are you familiar? Where's the best place to stay? I'm thinking that we should fly into Seattle and rent a car to cross the border (if that's possible) or should we try to fly directly into Vancouver?

post #16 of 43 Old 11-22-2011, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Hey Revy.... A few buddies and I are considering Whistler for this year's trip. Are you familiar? Where's the best place to stay? I'm thinking that we should fly into Seattle and rent a car to cross the border (if that's possible) or should we try to fly directly into Vancouver?
MSU....Yes I am familiar with the skihill! However, places to stay I don't really know. Talk with (Rubichronic) - a few post up in this thread! Ron is from Whistler and I am sure he will be more helpful for places to stay!

You should give Revelstoke Mountain Resort a shot sometime in the future...Fly into Kelowna and drive about 2 hrs, and it will give you the highest Vertical in North America and has Cat-skiiing and Heliskiing at the resort! Just as challenging if not more so then Whistler with some epic POW!
post #17 of 43 Old 11-22-2011, 02:11 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevyJKU08 View Post
Where the hell did this come to think I am not teaching my kids the etiquette????? I have had my kids in ski/boarding lessons since the age of 3! My now 7 year old is skiing at a level 6 all-mountain group already with kids 14 to 16 year olds due to his ability! He enjoys POW and climbing to the peaks & shredding up the glades! He his in full control and knows the rules of skiing and boarding! My 9 year old daughter is the same, in control and enjoys shredding up the back-country on her board.

I get sick of some people on the ski slopes telling me I shouldn't be taking my small kids up to the peaks or much steeper terrain or hitting double black diamond, and they believe I am doing my kids a disfavor thinking they don't have the ability to ski/board the slopes...guess what??? I love it when my kids out perform their asses on the hill!

Totally agree, boarders/skiers, adult & kids you are going to meet idiots on the hill.

Sorry if I gave the impression that I was accusing you of not teaching them right. It was more a general request. When I was young I was much like your kids, out-skiing most everyone around and in control. My statement was more a general observation of skiing/boarding these days. It would be the same as asking a parent with a kid who just turned 16 to please teach them not to use a cell phone while driving. Did not mean for it to turn into an attack on your parenting skills. Again, if it came across that way, I sincerely apologize.

3.5" Rock Krawler Mid-Arm Flex, Bilstein 5100s, Smittybuilt XRC Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier, AEV ProCal, 37" Nitto TrailGrappler MTs, MB 72s, 5.38s, C Gussets
post #18 of 43 Old 11-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Granite Guru

I also didn't mean to come across as anti-boarder sorry for that. I have a board sitting next to my skis. I'm only anti-out of control people. At 33 I wouldn't consider myself old.

post #19 of 43 Old 11-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Whistler is awesome. Hands down. I've gone out there three times & stayed in different places each time. Where to stay depends on the atmosphere you're looking for, I stayed on Blackcomb ('upper village' i think) which was pretty quiet & seem to remember whistler village had more of the party atmosphere. Blackcomb had more ski in/ski out places I think. It's been a few years tho since I've gone.
Where are u flying from? We drove from Detroit to Windsor & flew from there to Vancouver (via Toronto) It was quite a bit cheaper to do it that way instead of directly from the US. From Vancouver we took a bus up to whistler. Didn't really need a car once we were there. Bus tickets are pretty cheap too. have fun if u guys end up going there! it's awesome. hit me up if u want & I'll help if I can

Sent via smoke signal

NOT A DUDE!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steel Blue 2008 Sahara 2dr with stuff & things
NONE SHALL PASS!

Last edited by Melodywriter; 11-22-2011 at 03:12 PM.
post #20 of 43 Old 11-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Keep in mind once you get here you don't need a car. If it's cheaper to fly to Seattle and rent a car do it, but keep in mind some hotels charge extra for parking as well. I think bus tickets from Vancouver are about 20 bucks one way. You'd have to take a shuttle ($12 i think) from the airport to the bus station.
For places to stay, consider what kind of atmosphere you want. If you don't want to hear the night time rowdiness, ask for a room that doesn't face into the main village. It's a pedestrian village, and when all the bars let out it can get pretty loud. Room prices vary, but if you can try to avoid holidays or special events. You can also probly get lift tickets worked in to some kind of deal with your rooms.

Also, like RevyJK08 said, I've heard great things about Revelstoke. Steeper, deeper, and gnarlier from what I've been told. It might be worth considering as well.
If you make it out here, we should go for some wings and beers, and maybe some pow runs (i love to try and scare the shit out of flatlanders) to depending on my work schedule.

2011 JKU Rubi
2.5" RK Max Travel
35/12.5/17 Pro Comp MT
35/12.5 /17 Duratracs
Poison Spyder Evap Skid
VKS Rocksliders
Fox 2.0 shocks
Recon 10,000lb Winch
Vision X Rock lights
Cobra 75

Last edited by Rubichronic; 11-22-2011 at 05:04 PM.
post #21 of 43 Old 11-22-2011, 04:58 PM
Granite Guru

oh ya, 73cm in the last 24hrs, calling for another 30 to 50cm tonight, and more on the way. Mountains been open for 5 days and the base is around 150cms I think. We are skiing to the valley already, but it's still pretty boney up there!

2011 JKU Rubi
2.5" RK Max Travel
35/12.5/17 Pro Comp MT
35/12.5 /17 Duratracs
Poison Spyder Evap Skid
VKS Rocksliders
Fox 2.0 shocks
Recon 10,000lb Winch
Vision X Rock lights
Cobra 75
post #22 of 43 Old 11-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Granite Guru

Been skiing since I was 6... was president of the ski team for the USCSA for 4 years at school, and this sport/winter season is the main reason why i bought my jeep...

pics are from killington this past january (just kidding, they're too big to post, will resize).

being a die-hard skier on the east coast sucks, my dreams are of growing up (yeah, so what, I'm 30 now) and moving out west...

Jersey
Crew!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuerdog View Post
Steph, you are the spicy mustard that binds this sausage fest together.
"You cant stop me, you can only try and contain me.."
post #23 of 43 Old 11-23-2011, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Sorry if I gave the impression that I was accusing you of not teaching them right. It was more a general request. When I was young I was much like your kids, out-skiing most everyone around and in control. My statement was more a general observation of skiing/boarding these days. It would be the same as asking a parent with a kid who just turned 16 to please teach them not to use a cell phone while driving. Did not mean for it to turn into an attack on your parenting skills. Again, if it came across that way, I sincerely apologize.
No worries.....like I stated you get idiots on every hill everyday that have no respect or are plan a-holes Back to posting more epic ski photos!
post #24 of 43 Old 11-25-2011, 11:03 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubichronic View Post

Keep in mind once you get here you don't need a car. If it's cheaper to fly to Seattle and rent a car do it, but keep in mind some hotels charge extra for parking as well. I think bus tickets from Vancouver are about 20 bucks one way. You'd have to take a shuttle ($12 i think) from the airport to the bus station.
For places to stay, consider what kind of atmosphere you want. If you don't want to hear the night time rowdiness, ask for a room that doesn't face into the main village. It's a pedestrian village, and when all the bars let out it can get pretty loud. Room prices vary, but if you can try to avoid holidays or special events. You can also probly get lift tickets worked in to some kind of deal with your rooms.

Also, like RevyJK08 said, I've heard great things about Revelstoke. Steeper, deeper, and gnarlier from what I've been told. It might be worth considering as well.
If you make it out here, we should go for some wings and beers, and maybe some pow runs (i love to try and scare the shit out of flatlanders) to depending on my work schedule.
Thanks for the tips chronic! The party atmosphere definitely won't bother us. That is why we are considering Whistler in the first place .

Ski in/out is a must. Checking flights to Seattle and Vancouver, it seems that the Seattle route is cheaper even when renting a vehicle. When it gets closer to the time to start planning I'll hit you up for some more specific advice, if that's alright.

Edit: lol. It'll be hard to scare me. I've been skiing since I was just a wee little ladd.

Last edited by MSUJeep; 11-25-2011 at 11:05 AM.
post #25 of 43 Old 11-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Granite Guru

if you don't mind the party, than aim to stay in Whistler Village. Tell whoever is helping you book your room that. Main Village. The Pan Pacific is the hotel at the bottom of two gondolas. One brings you up Whistler Mtn., and one brings you up Blackcomb Mtn. If you got the cash, that is the ultimate ski in ski out, even if you have to walk a hundred steps or so. Hit me up when you get closer to your holiday, i'll help you any way i can. Probly just means helping with your hotel location, and showing you some secret spots. Same goes for anyone reading this. I love showing people around the mountains, and i've been here long enough now that i can show you places that aren't on the trail maps! hit me up for sure!

2011 JKU Rubi
2.5" RK Max Travel
35/12.5/17 Pro Comp MT
35/12.5 /17 Duratracs
Poison Spyder Evap Skid
VKS Rocksliders
Fox 2.0 shocks
Recon 10,000lb Winch
Vision X Rock lights
Cobra 75
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode