Waterproof dry sack recommendations - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Waterproof dry sack recommendations

I'm looking for recommendations for waterproof dry sacks. Basically something I can stow gear in and strap down to the cargo basket (see below) on top of the Jeep that I don't want drenched as we're traipsing cross country.

In my initial searches, I came across the bags from Sea to Summit, but I don't know anything about product or the company.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kkuntz01; 04-20-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 09:25 AM
Rock God

My dad always had good luck with the canoe sacks. There thick rubber/vinyl that you roll closed and snap shut.

I belive thule also offers two waterproof roofrack sacks and a cover to tie them to the rack as a whole set. But I bet it cost more than a few of those bags.

This is what im talking about, seem like they have all kinds of styles now. Not just tubes but box style and flat bags...
http://www.basspro.com/XPS-Heavy-Dut...SELL_THUMBNAIL
post #3 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 09:30 AM
fnc
Rock God

I have several of the Sea to Summit bags and they are great, if you put them in something else. I use them for gear that I don't want to get wet and then load them in my backpack. I wouldn't use them for anything that requires extra durability. They are too thin and lightweight.

Cabela's has some nice looking bags that have good reviews:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I can taste your meat from all the way up here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beedle4 View Post
My dad always had good luck with the canoe sacks. There thick rubber/vinyl that you roll closed and snap shut.

I belive thule also offers two waterproof roofrack sacks and a cover to tie them to the rack as a whole set. But I bet it cost more than a few of those bags.

This is what im talking about, seem like they have all kinds of styles now. Not just tubes but box style and flat bags...
http://www.basspro.com/XPS-Heavy-Dut...SELL_THUMBNAIL

Not sure if these were what you were talking about from Thule. I was scoping them out before, but they appear to only be water resistant and don't seems to hold up all that well based on some reviews.

I'll have to check out what BPS has the next time I'm down that way. I still have coupons and gift cards that I need to burn up for that place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnc View Post
I have several of the Sea to Summit bags and they are great, if you put them in something else. I use them for gear that I don't want to get wet and then load them in my backpack. I wouldn't use them for anything that requires extra durability. They are too thin and lightweight.

Cabela's has some nice looking bags that have good reviews:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products
Thanks for the heads up on the Sea to Summit sacks. I almost pulled the trigger on those, glad I didnt. For the use they'll be getting in the application I'm using them for it doesn't sound like they'll work out for me. Come to think of it, I think I stumbled on the Cabela's dry sacks at some point in my search.

Again thanks guys for the input. It certainly helps!

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 10:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have a Rage Powersports bags, that I use on my rear rack. They offer different sizes. Really good bags; for this rainy, snowy, windy, .... area. Very happy.

http://www.ragepowersports.com/cargo...car-roof-bags/

During trip from WA to UT, and back a couple weeks ago - rained hard, snowed and 50 mph wind gusts; no prob.

Last edited by Bubblegoose1; 04-20-2011 at 10:34 AM.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Rock God

Yeah the BPS page was just to show the idea, I know lots of companys make thema and they are pretty thick too.

I know he had one straped to the bitch bar on his old bike when he rode alot.

I would just scope out your local outdoors/boat/sporting places and pick what will work best.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Bubblegoose, I have to say I'm liking the idea of those cargo bags from Rage Powersports. Especially appealing is the pricepoint.

I'll scope out some local places and maybe I'll luck out and somebody will have those cargo bags for me to see up close and personal.

post #8 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 11:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuntz01 View Post
Bubblegoose, I have to say I'm liking the idea of those cargo bags from Rage Powersports. Especially appealing is the pricepoint.

I'll scope out some local places and maybe I'll luck out and somebody will have those cargo bags for me to see up close and personal.
They are good bags, wheeled and the price is right. I used it at Rubicon as well; got home and hosed it off before opening. All dry and clean still.

I got mine from discountramps.com. Best price and excellent customer service.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Rock God

I use a 40L SealLine dry bag for clothing and such. You should be able to find something to fit your needs at a store that sells kayaks.

Mike 2010 Rubicon 2DR | RK 3.5 X FACTOR MID ARM | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #10 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Granite Guru

I Use watershed bags. Designed for kayaking.
post #11 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage
post #12 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
x2

as well as the sea to summit compression dry sacks
post #13 of 16 Old 04-21-2011, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I pulled the trigger on that rage power sports bag. I scored one from discount ramps on eBay and surprisingly it'll be here tomorrow hopefully. I figure for $45 it'll still be of some use even if it turns out to not perform as I'd like it.

I still want to check out some of the other options that are out there because I don't know what my ultimate needs are going to be. It'll be interesting how loaded up we'll get the WK2 for our first camping trip of the season.

post #14 of 16 Old 09-20-2011, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I have give a big recommendation to the rage power sports bag and discount ramps where I sourced it from.

I had a problem with the one bag I got from them. I e-mailed Rage Powersports with a description and pic's of the problem and within an hour I was received an e-mail from the customer service at discount ramps asking if I wanted my replacement bag shipped to the same address as before.

That is what I call great f'ng service. No hassel, no b/s.

Oh and the bags withstand the elements reasonably well. We got caught up in a really wicked thunderstorm/micro burst and barely any water/moisture seeped in.

wicked storm in NE

Last edited by kkuntz01; 09-20-2011 at 05:45 PM.
post #15 of 16 Old 09-26-2011, 07:09 AM
Granite Guru

Outdoor Research
post #16 of 16 Old 10-06-2011, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Pretty cool, I got a mention in the Discount Ramps blog this month.

http://blog.discountramps.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode