backpacking gear - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 12-30-2010, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
backpacking gear

i know we have a few bp'ers here. im saving up for gear that way i can hopefully start this summer.

i really like this pack. its price is good and i like the weight seems good for that size pack. http://www.rei.com/product/778468
any comments on this.?

tent looking for a 2p tent. if you have any suggestions im willing to spend 210 at most. that needs to include fly and footprint.
these seem about right.
http://www.rei.com/product/791634
http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/w...ariationId=854
does that seem a little heavy they are both at 5lbs i believe.

sleeping bag. i already have a very compressible down rated at 32f and the thing under the pillow can zip together to form a mummy bag.
sleeping pad. dont want to spend more than 60 here.

stove- this is where my real indecision lies.
i like this http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sho...8_10000001_-1_
but im not set on it. i know msr has some good stuff but the arms concern me.
if i go with an msr id have to buy some sort of pot which is more money and weight whereas the jetboil is all in one.
lemme know what you guys think.

water. i have i believe a 100 oz camelbak bladder ill have to measure it out some time.
water filter ???
i think this pack will hold all this and enough food for a 3-4 day trip but how about a week long trip?

would this be to cumbersome to mtn bike with?

i have a nice camelbak day pack and a kelty red wing 44 2650 st for an overnight pack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!

Last edited by TheBeatenPath; 12-30-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 12-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Rock God

Stove-
I have the MSR pocket rocket and love it. It fits inside my gsi duelist cookset and is great for the misses and I. But if I had to do it over I'd go jetboil. Boiling water in 90 seconds is awesome when chow is a dehy meal and you've been hiking all day.

"CUTTS CREW"
07 Unlimited Sport
Snork
Bunch of Other Stuff
post #3 of 33 Old 01-01-2011, 09:53 AM
fnc
Rock God

Both tents look good. You can save $20 on the Marmot (which would be my personal choice) at campmor.com vs rei.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___27477

I also have the MSR pocket rocket. It's nice and small and burns nicely but I don't care for it with windy conditions. I've been interested in the jetboil system too.

REI has nice stuff but you can save money at campmor.com and sierratradingpost.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I can taste your meat from all the way up here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 01-01-2011, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

do you think you can cook in the jet boil like instant rice and ramen?

im looking to go with less weight im considering these now
http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sho...8_10000001_-1_
or if i want to stick with a 2 person maybe this one

and another pack question is there a reason i cant use a womens pack the mens version is 72l and the womens is 62 i dont need 72 so can i?

Last edited by TheBeatenPath; 01-01-2011 at 10:21 AM.
post #5 of 33 Old 01-01-2011, 10:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I used to manage a backpacking shop back in the day. I've always been a HUGE fan of Osprey packs. Well made, light weight and really well thought out and comfortable. It all comes down to personal preference though. When it comes to tents I like Mountain Hardware, and for clothing I usually go with Marmot and Mountain Hardware. I'm not a huge North Face fan. A long time ago their stuff was great, but then I noticed a real big drop in quality (especially for the price).

There are three things that everybody wants. Lightweight, durable, and inexpensive. Pick two because you can't have all three.
post #6 of 33 Old 01-01-2011, 10:47 AM
It never ends...

[/QUOTE]

My family (5 kids) and I use Jet Boils. Yep, rice and raman no problem. We carry multiple Jet Boils.

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Adventures of Rex Thread:
post #7 of 33 Old 01-01-2011, 10:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post

and another pack question is there a reason i cant use a womens pack the mens version is 72l and the womens is 62 i dont need 72 so can i?
If the pack fits, go with it. Go to a local owned store, talk to the people that work there. Try on the packs WITH weight in them and walk around the store for awhile. If anything is the least bit annoying in the store, it will be REALLY annoying on the trail.

Here's the important part. After talking to them and having them help you, buy the pack from them. Nothing beats talking to experienced people and having them help you. Nothing would drive me more crazy than people coming in the store, getting quality advice from my employees then the customer would turn around and buy it online to save a little cash. The big box stores and internet are killing the little mom & pop shops because they can't compete with the prices. It's what happened to mine. I'll get off my soap box now.
post #8 of 33 Old 01-01-2011, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

???

post #9 of 33 Old 01-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

For tents, I'd also look at Sierra Designs. I used to work in a camping/outdoor store, and sold quite a few of those. If you don't want to pay the Mountain Hardwear/North Face markup, then that's another good place to start.

For sleeping pads, check out the open-cell Thermarest pads.
post #10 of 33 Old 01-01-2011, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
For tents, I'd also look at Sierra Designs. I used to work in a camping/outdoor store, and sold quite a few of those. If you don't want to pay the Mountain Hardwear/North Face markup, then that's another good place to start.

For sleeping pads, check out the open-cell Thermarest pads.
for those sierra designs and mountain hardwear sprites do you know if they come with the fly and footprint. it doesnt say?
edit:footprints sold seperatly

i know kelty makes good packs how about tents?
http://www.backcountryedge.com/kelty-teton-2-2007.aspx

Last edited by TheBeatenPath; 01-01-2011 at 12:44 PM.
post #11 of 33 Old 01-01-2011, 12:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

Quote:
for those sierra designs and mountain hardwear sprites do you know if they come with the fly and footprint. it doesnt say?
Most tents come with a rainfly, especially lighter weight backpacking tents as the fly can be pitched alone without the tent as an ultralight alternative. Usually the foot print is sold separately.

Sent by carrier pigeon

post #12 of 33 Old 01-01-2011, 12:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

"Pitch Light configuration allows user to set up a superlight shelter using only the tent fly, poles and footprint (sold separately)"

Looks like the footprint is sold separately (which is typical). Most tents include the fly.
post #13 of 33 Old 01-01-2011, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

i was wondering what pitch light was.

post #14 of 33 Old 01-01-2011, 07:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I can't backpack anymore, since breaking my back 2 years ago. I just can't handle the weight of the pack anymore. I'm resigned to car camping and day hikes. I've spent countless nights in the woods, my ex-wife and I used to pack at least once a month.

I have the north face roadrunner 23 backpacking tent. It's nice and light, poles are color coded which makes setting it up nice and easy, is freestanding and can be pitched using only the fly.

As for stoves I always used the msr whisperlites multi-fuel which packed up nicely inside the msr alpine cook set.

Water purification is another key item. I used the msr vario filter/purifier. It's a very light easy to use pump.

My last pack was an osprey atmos 65. Probably my most favorite of all the packs I've used over the years.

Look into the tent I have, which I don't use anymore. If it seems like one you'd like let me know, I have a footprint to go with it and it's in great shape. Maybe we can work something out

Sent by carrier pigeon

post #15 of 33 Old 01-01-2011, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

thanks for the offer i looked at it and it seems like a nice tent. but im not shure that ill always be camping with another person or at least not one i want to sleep next to and it weighs close to 6 lbs. thats more weight than i would prefer to carry.
sorry to hear about your back seems like thats the most awkward cast to wear.

i have looked at lot of tents and i found these 2. one is a solo and the other a 2 person. they are priced right. and the weight seems dooable with the 2 person if i need to carry it alone. ill most likely go with one of these just have to decide 1 or 2 person.
solo
http://www.backcountryedge.com/sierr...t-year-09.aspx
2 person
http://www.backcountryedge.com/mount...path-2-09.aspx

both of these seem to have good reviews and the brands were mentioned here. any experiences with either of these?

thx for the other recomendations

Last edited by TheBeatenPath; 01-01-2011 at 08:08 PM.
post #16 of 33 Old 01-01-2011, 08:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You can't go wrong with either of those tents. I've always used a two person tent, but then again I've always hiked with whatever girl I was dating at the time.

Last edited by HOOLIGAN; 01-01-2011 at 08:20 PM.
post #17 of 33 Old 01-01-2011, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

i looked for an msr vario i couldnt find it. did you mean katadyn vario?

post #18 of 33 Old 01-01-2011, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
You can't go wrong with either of those tents. I've always used a two person tent, but then again I've always hiked with whatever girl I was dating at the time.
thas another reason i might do 2 person. its a 1lb difference between the two.
that will have to be decided later prolly do the 2 person one tho

post #19 of 33 Old 01-01-2011, 08:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
i looked for an msr vario i couldnt find it. did you mean katadyn vario?
It's cool man, just throwing it out there... Actually, there was no cast, just surgery and laying on my back for 8 weeks! At least I can work and still wheel!

And yeah, I meant katadyn, I had msr on the brain!

Sent by carrier pigeon

post #20 of 33 Old 01-01-2011, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramaniac View Post
It's cool man, just throwing it out there... Actually, there was no cast, just surgery and laying on my back for 8 weeks! At least I can work and still wheel!

And yeah, I meant katadyn, I had msr on the brain!

Sent by carrier pigeon
yea whenever i see those casts i feel bad for them ppl they look funny and prolly arent comfy either.
8 weeks on the back would be hard to. i bet you watched a lot of movies and all the reruns

that vario is nice!. is there any other differences between it and the katadyn hiker other than speed and such. it will clean the same right?

post #21 of 33 Old 01-01-2011, 09:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

that vario is nice!. is there any other differences between it and the katadyn hiker other than speed and such. it will clean the same right?
tips on picking a water filter part 1

part 2

i like the speed and size of the vario

post #22 of 33 Old 01-01-2011, 09:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

wow corey i feel like this is deja vu haha. some great gear and advice in this thread

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #23 of 33 Old 01-01-2011, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

i know right.

that was a good read para thanks for the link.
still not dead set on which one i want. will have to pick between the two later

post #24 of 33 Old 01-01-2011, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

found out that the jetboil does half a liter at a time. id rather do more i think.
can you use other pots with the jetboil system?

couple on here have the whisperlite. have you had any problems.
ive seen some reviews saying the simmer control isnt very good. whats your experience with it?

the decision for the stove has come down to either of those i think.

pack question its an rei pack and the closest rei is in atlanta thats a ways away from me.
would i be able to order it on the internet and it work or is it strongly recommended i try a pack on with weight first?
the only stores that carru this stuff near me is academy outdoors,dicks and gander mtn

Last edited by TheBeatenPath; 01-01-2011 at 11:51 PM.
post #25 of 33 Old 01-02-2011, 09:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i had 2 MSR whisperlite stoves and wouldnt think of using anything else. regarding the simmer, it takes a little practice, but once you get figure it out, its easy to use. i have no experience with the jetboil, but have heard lots of good reviews. IMHO if you arent in the arctic, there is no good reason to need the kind of BTUs that it puts out. plus you are limited by the type of pot you can use to cook on it. if im not mistaken, you can only use theirs. the whisperlite you can put a pan on it and fry up some tasty backwoods bacon.

regarding the pack. i wouldnt recommend buying a pack online unless you have the opportunity to try it on, load it up, mess with all the straps, walk around the store with it all loaded up just give yourself a chance to mess around with it. when i bought my Osprey i spent almost 2 hours in the store trying packs on, different weights loaded in it. i even wore the boots i wear on the trail just to make sure. REI has a no questions asked return policy, but its a pain in the ass going back and forth thru the mail. i like the quality of REI brand products, i have their 15* sleeping bag for almost 10 years now and its still as warm as the day i bought it. if the local shops have other packs you have been considering and REI or EMS has them cheaper, go to the local guy and try them out then buy online. fitting a pack is very important because if its not fitting you well after a few hours or days on the trail youre fucked. the pack is your lifeline since you will be carrying all you need in it. its as important as a good pair of boots.

if you have anymore questions, feel free....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode