KNIFE SHARPENING - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 11-30-2010, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
KNIFE SHARPENING

Any feedback would be a appreciated-

I have several different sharpeners that I have used over the years to sharpen blades.....but I have rarely been impressed with the hone on many of my knives after sharpening them.

What do you guys use? Ceramic/ Carbide/ Arkansas whetstone/ combination (?)

Any tips? Types or brands? Methods?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 11-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to kerryp Send a message via Skype™ to kerryp

The type I have had the most luck from are the kits that come with a couple of diamond stones (one is a rougher cut and one for finishing) and has the guide.

I am traveling right now so don't have the name in front of me, but basically it comes with a clamp that clamps ur blade and the stones screw into a steel rod that is then inserted into a guide on the clamp. It keeps the optimal angle for sharpening and makes it easy.

I have tried Arkansas stones, but apparently just don't have the patience to sit there and sharpen. The kit I have now puts a razor sharp edge in just a few minutes and it lasts.

ジープ
@CigarsNJeeps
post #3 of 42 Old 11-30-2010, 02:22 PM
WINNAR!

Garage

You can find them local for the same price. I destroy a knife edge so something quick and easy fits the bill for me!

http://www.amazon.com/AccuSharp-1-00...1155728&sr=8-1

Andy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 11-30-2010, 04:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOKEY View Post
You can find them local for the same price. I destroy a knife edge so something quick and easy fits the bill for me!

do those really work? what degree edge does it put on the blade? can you shave hair with it?

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #5 of 42 Old 11-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Rock God

Garage

I just use a bench grinder about 100 grit wheel (it was on it when I bought the grinder, not sure exactly) somewhere around 25 deg, same as a chisel.
My fine wheel isn't very fine so I give it a hone with a 2" x 6" wet stone.
Also had good success with a bench belt sander to hone.
Have a small piece of tungsten to do touch ups on my leatherman.
post #6 of 42 Old 11-30-2010, 05:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryp View Post
The type I have had the most luck from are the kits that come with a couple of diamond stones (one is a rougher cut and one for finishing) and has the guide.

I am traveling right now so don't have the name in front of me, but basically it comes with a clamp that clamps ur blade and the stones screw into a steel rod that is then inserted into a guide on the clamp. It keeps the optimal angle for sharpening and makes it easy.

I have tried Arkansas stones, but apparently just don't have the patience to sit there and sharpen. The kit I have now puts a razor sharp edge in just a few minutes and it lasts.
Spidertech makes a good one for thick blade knives alot like gator sticks. But the one with guide is a lansky get the diamond ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
This is one reason I have a strict policy of not eating anything out of another dudes butt. Flick it with my tongue? Sure. Run my tongue around the rim? Depends. Dart my tongue in for a brief second? Maybe. Eat something out of it? No fuckin' way!
If you want to know whats on it check my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 42 Old 11-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Wheeler

My experience has been to just have a professional sharpen them once or twice a year. A good. Knife should only require a sharpening at that interval to hold an edge.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using my knobs
post #8 of 42 Old 11-30-2010, 08:25 PM
fnc
Rock God

Quote:

There are a couple of brands. I have the cheap Smiths brand from Walmart. They are great for both beginners and experienced people.

Using stones by themselves is very difficult and takes someone with experience just to keep from making things worse, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I can taste your meat from all the way up here.
post #9 of 42 Old 12-01-2010, 06:27 AM
WINNAR!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
do those really work? what degree edge does it put on the blade? can you shave hair with it?
I believe I remember them saying 40 degrees on the cut. You can't shave with it. And it took me awhile to figure out how to get it really sharp. But it won't cut hair. It will cut paper with ease.

I ran out and bought one of the $35 dollar Smith's sharpeners last night to play around with. I believe I can get as much of an edge on my blade (D2 tool steel) as I can with the cheaper one listed.

I'm going to practice with the smith's version for quite a bit and see how it goes.

Andy

post #10 of 42 Old 12-01-2010, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:

....it comes with a clamp that clamps ur blade and the stones screw into a steel rod that is then inserted into a guide on the clamp. It keeps the optimal angle for sharpening and makes it easy.

Thanks, kp. That sounds like the one that I have been looking at. Looks to be kind of "idiot-proof" for someone like me that is just getting back into sharpening. I may pick that one up at walmart. It's a Smith's sharpening system with diamond and Arkansas stones, the guide/ rod, honing oil, etc. I think it was about $20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOKEY View Post

I had one like that. It disappeared with my ex-g/f and my grill. I mainly used it for fillet-knives. Looks pretty fail-safe and cheap. Thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilrod View Post
I just use a bench grinder about 100 grit wheel (it was on it when I bought the grinder, not sure exactly) somewhere around 25 deg, same as a chisel.
My fine wheel isn't very fine so I give it a hone with a 2" x 6" wet stone.
Also had good success with a bench belt sander to hone.
Have a small piece of tungsten to do touch ups on my leatherman.
Well that's out b/c I corrently don't have a bench grinder....and I don't think I want to use my angle grinder- lol. Something tells me that you have a LOT more skill at sharpening, then I would. I can see using a grinder and turning my butcher knives into pen knives- lol. I guess I could find some cheap worn out knives at a garage sale and practice sharpening on a stone. Thank you for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knyland View Post
Spidertech makes a good one for thick blade knives alot like gator sticks. But the one with guide is a lansky get the diamond ones.
I'll look into the Spydertech for my kitchen knives, since they are thicker blades. I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privacypro View Post
My experience has been to just have a professional sharpen them once or twice a year. A good. Knife should only require a sharpening at that interval to hold an edge.
Man....I did that before and never again. They ruined all 4 knives, and I had to wait for about 3-4 weeks to get them back. It was cheap but I was extremely when I got them back. I know there must be some good pros out there, but I just won't risk using someone that I'm not sure of. Plus I want to do it myself. I think I can get good with some practice- idk. Thanks for the advice though. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnc View Post
There are a couple of brands. I have the cheap Smiths brand from Walmart. They are great for both beginners and experienced people. Using stones by themselves is very difficult and takes someone with experience just to keep from making things worse, IMHO.
The Smith's are what I'm looking at. They have several types that I like for different reasons. One is the sharpening system that I think Kerry was referring to. They have another that does scissors as well as knives, and another that does serrated knives and gut-hooks. I can see picking up a couple sharpeners before I'm done. Thank you for your advice.
post #11 of 42 Old 12-01-2010, 01:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've been using the Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpener for years. Comes with stone and ceramic stones. Pretty much brainless. Works great. Cheers...

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #12 of 42 Old 12-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Rock God

I won't use a hand held sharpener again after getting 21 stitches in my hand.
My wife asked me a question while I was sharpening a knife. I looked away before stopping what I was doing.
Now I have an M permanently carved into my hand. At least M is my first initial.

Not long after that I was chopping carrots. Almost lost the tip of my thumb. From then on my wife would tell me to put down the knife before saying anything else.
post #13 of 42 Old 12-01-2010, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-jeep View Post
I've been using the Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpener for years. Comes with stone and ceramic stones. Pretty much brainless. Works great. Cheers...
I've been looking at a couple Spyderco knives lately. I may look into that sharpener as well. Thanks, man.

Yes.....brainless......that's good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgutz View Post
I won't use a hand held sharpener again after getting 21 stitches in my hand.
My wife asked me a question while I was sharpening a knife. I looked away before stopping what I was doing.
Now I have an M permanently carved into my hand. At least M is my first initial.

Not long after that I was chopping carrots. Almost lost the tip of my thumb. From then on my wife would tell me to put down the knife before saying anything else.
Holy crap!

I'll have to be careful. The ones I am looking at all have hand-guards and/ or are used sitting on the table. I'll stay away from anything that I have to hold. Thanks for the feedback.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #14 of 42 Old 12-01-2010, 02:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

I've been using this for years...

post #15 of 42 Old 12-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to redneckjk

i use the Lansky to get an edge started on a new knife, but also have some Steamboat sharpeners. there are 4 ceramic sticks set in pairs at a set angle of 23-25 degrees. just hold the blade straight down and slide across alternating sticks pulling the blade toward you. bought them at True Value for about 15 bucks. great for a quick touch up.
post #16 of 42 Old 12-02-2010, 06:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have been using the Gatco Edgemate Professional sharpening system. I like the system and yes it does take some practice to get it right. I think part of the secret is to let the stones do the work and not too much pressure. Also count the number of stokes on each side to keep everything even. Then as a final I leather strap my blades.

http://www.gatcosharpeners.com/produ...0B031F63E3FA28
post #17 of 42 Old 12-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to redneckjk

the Lansky and the Gatco have the metal clamp and guide. the Smith's guide is plastic with a metal clamp i believe. i like the metal better. although the Smith's is cheaper. they all do a very nice job.
post #18 of 42 Old 12-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Rock God

Been making knives for 30 years and never use a stone anymore. I use a Delta 1" countertop beltsander to sharpen. Don't rush, just one smooth even stroke down each side of the blade and touch up the side of the edge that has a bur on it with one stroke of a fine diamond sharpener or buffer. Takes about 2 sec to get a razor edge that you can shave with if it is good quality steel.

17 degrees is for scalples and razors - awesome sharp but edge will go away fast.
27-32 degrees is best for general use hunting/kitchen knives - best overall angle that will last but sharp enough to shave with
35-40 degrees for heavy use hacking knives/axes - Longest lasting edge but will never be shaving sharp..

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #19 of 42 Old 12-04-2010, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

jtphoto, redneck, paramaniac. 4x4x4.....I really appreciate the additional info.

I decided to go with the Gatco Ultimate diamond knife sharpening system. I really like the overall completeness of the kit- Serration hone/ coarse hone/ medium hone/ fine hone/ ultimate finishing hone/ the 6 angle guide/ honing oil/ case......and the fact that the individual sharpeners are replaceable.

It was WAY more than I really wanted to spend....but hopefully it will produce great results. It came down to the cheaper Smith's, the Gatco, and the Spderco (which looked bad-ass too).
post #20 of 42 Old 12-04-2010, 03:21 PM
WINNAR!

Garage

Thanks for posting that info Jeff. It makes sense why I couldn't shave with the rip stlye quick shapener. 40 degrees just won't cut it.

I took my new smith's sharpener and moved down to the 20 degree slot and can now shave with it.

Andy

post #21 of 42 Old 12-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Rock God

No problem. Just be carefull, you can't replace fingers very easily..

Fact: People are more likely to cut themselves while forcing a dull knife, then those using a sharp knife...

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #22 of 42 Old 12-04-2010, 04:39 PM
WINNAR!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtphoto JK View Post
No problem. Just be carefull, you can't replace fingers very easily..

Fact: People are more likely to cut themselves while forcing a dull knife, then those using a sharp knife...
I'm not saying I have a better sense about knives than most but I was a flooring installer for ten years. I've been using 17 degree carpet blades for a long time. Now I've had my fair share of bloody fingers but my GPA lost two fingers to an auger so it has been my life goal to keep all my digits.

Andy

post #23 of 42 Old 12-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Granite Guru

Well First it all depends on the Knife and the blade , Cheap knife with the cheap blade , I dont care what kind off a kit you have or how good you are with a stone even if you get a good edge by some miracle it wont last past opening a letter with it !! I personally only use high dollar Buck knifes and have always had good luck with them , I got my first Buck hunting knife when I was 12 (24 years ago) and I still use it today !! Now A good knike all I have ever used is a cheap Smith diamond set , if it is just dull from ordenary things I use a smooth stone and some oil with the circle motion will bring it right back , if you use it for something a little more harsh like gutting a deer and cutting through the briskit and cartalige and cutting the windpipe , then I first use the coarse stone and put about a 35 degree edge on it which helps from dulling the knife easily again , and the I use the fine stone and put about a 45 degree edge on top of that and then finish it slowly and carefully with a stone and oil with a steep angle and not only can you shave with it but it lasts and keeps its edge for a long time , It sounds like a lot of work but its really not because it holds its edge for a long time !! Sometimes even after gutting a deer I only have to use a stone and the edge comes right back !! But thats just me !! If you dont know how to use a stone you can do more damage than good !! actually if you get the knife sharp but just cant get that razor edge , they sell a little knife shrapener in the fishing section of most sporting goods stores and its like 2 dollars , It wont get the fat edge that will hold up like sharpening it like I said but to get that razor edge you can run the knife through that a few times , Its actually designed for resharpening your knife while filleting fish !!

Tear It Up - Fix It - And Do It Again !!
post #24 of 42 Old 12-05-2010, 02:14 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4 View Post
I have been using the Gatco Edgemate Professional sharpening system. I like the system and yes it does take some practice to get it right. I think part of the secret is to let the stones do the work and not too much pressure. Also count the number of stokes on each side to keep everything even. Then as a final I leather strap my blades.

http://www.gatcosharpeners.com/produ...0B031F63E3FA28
That's what I have and love it

Quote:
-I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?
post #25 of 42 Old 12-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Wheeler

Knife Sharpening

I have searched and searched as well. The best thing I have found for under $75 is the one from Spyderco. It comes as a kit with 4 ceramic rods, triangular in shape. First coarse rods, pointed edge, then flat edge. Then the white finer rods, pointed edge then flat edge. You use it like a crock stick in a v shape. About 20 strokes on each of the above, and your knife will easily slice paper cleanly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode