Cobb BBQ Grill review - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-01-2010, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Thumbs up Cobb BBQ Grill review

I do a fair amount of tailgating, camping, days at the beach and I love to cook on the grill. I have been through many portable grills, the cheap-o's and the nicer ones including the Coleman Rodatrip, the Thermos Grill 2 Go and several others. What I have found is that wheels fall off, they are hard to clean, parts get loose from rattling or you run out of gas etc.... they did cook good and I got a lot of use out of them.

IMO there is little substitute for cooking with wood, mesquite is my favorite... it takes too long to use that on the go so some good charcoal is next best. It is a PITA to deal with a bunch of charcoal while tailgating, what do you do with them once you are done cooking etc.... it is nice at the football games because there is a dumpster just for coals and ash. This thing leaves very little to have to discard, on the trail you can dig a little hole and use some water (or whatever) to extinguish the coals and move along.

My Thermos grill is falling apart so I started looking for a new grill to use, I needed one that takes up as little space as possible so I can secure it in the back, under the trunk. It also comes with a carrying case to keep everything secure.

I stumbled across the Cobb Grill and was skeptical at best. The size (14x14x14 and 10 lbs) and ease of cleaning (it all fits in the dishwasher) along with only using up to 10 charcoal briquettes was enough for me to pull the trigger.

From their website:
The Cobb Premier was voted TIMES magazine invention of the year for a good reason. Able to cook anything, running on just a few charcoal briquettes, this grill can cook for three hours at 500 degrees! And while this takes place, the revolutionary design ensures that the base never gets warm. Place this on any surface and never worry about burn marks! You could even carry it while cooking!

It showed up and I read the manual (I never do that) just because I was not familiar with the design.

More from their website, I was not familiar with how "convection cooking" works... now I am.

The award winning COBB system barbecues, grills, bakes, smokes, boils and warms. This unique light-weight cooking system circulates the heat in a convection cooking style. Thus maintaining a constant internal temperature for up to 3 hours. It is simple to use and maintain. The COBB includes a heavy-duty carry bag and a cookbook filled with delicious recipes and cooking instructions.

I put it through the tests over the weekend while at the beach and I am impressed. I cooked steaks, chicken, thick cut pork chops and ribs and they came out perfect every time - only using 10 charcoal briquettes each time. It is not as fast as gas but fast enough for tailgating or camping for sure.

This is the outer casing that the fire chamber fits into, it allows you to pick it up and move it any time, even while cooking.

Here is the fire chamber installed with the fire grid - fire stick will go under the fire grid and the fire grid will be filled with charcoal in a few...

These things are cool as chit, they strike against the box like a big match stick and burn for about 12 minutes which is perfect timing for the charcoal to be ready to cook.

Once the coals are about 30% gray they are ready to cook.

Throw on the cooking surface, whatever meat you want to cook, place the lid on and get after it.

I threw on some chicken on and sat back to drink some cold beer - it's hard to not keep opening the lid to check on the status but the longer you keep the lid closed the better everything cooks. I tuned them at 30 mins and they were just about ready - not burnt, no flare ups because the drippings are channeled to the edges - away from the coals. One thing that I forgot to do was add some beer to the moat..... and I was drinking while cooking so no excuse it was done in about 45 minutes - a little longer because it is chicken and you want it cooked good all the way through.

Just like everything that I have cooked on this thing so far - the chicken was perfectly cooked and juicy. I will do something different tomorrow and take some pics of the finished product... a little camera snafu kept me from taking some of the chicken. I was taking pics while doing the write up and forgot to stick the card back into the camera.... now the photos are in the camera and I cannot find the cable... duh. I will get some though. There is nothing left of the chicken so I guess the family approves.

Next up - accessories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-01-2010, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

There are plenty of options that can go with this thing making it damn near perfect for camping:

Frying Pan / Skillet:

Wok / Frying dish:

Roasting Rack:

Griddle:

Smoking pot with packs of pellets for smoking:

They make a bundle of all this stuff for $119, I might just get all this stuff later on. For now the grill is all I need. I would like to see how easily you could cook breakfast and clean up so the pan might be next.. we shall see.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to kerryp Send a message via Skype™ to kerryp

that is pretty cool and I like the compactness of it. might have to check this out.

ジープ
@CigarsNJeeps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Great review!!

The BBQ looks very practical. It think this could be my next aqusition

2010 Jk Unlimited Sport
35" Mickey Thompson Tires
Magnaflow exhaust
Fortec suspension 2.5"
Airaid CAI
Hi-Lift
IPF 968s windshield mounted lights
HID lights
5.13 G2 gears
Poison Spyder Rear Diff Cover
post #5 of 6 Old 06-01-2010, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Cleanup is simple at the house, I let it cool and then hit it with a little soap/water and a scrubber. I will add some non stick spray tomorrow to see if I can get it easy enough to wipe down which will be even better for trail use over a couple of days.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-03-2010, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Cooked some more steaks tonight.

bet you didn't know that Poly sells ribeyes too...

Can't say enough good things about those lighting sticks, perfect every time

Let the coals get nice and gray which takes about 15 minutes

The wife and kids like theirs well done after about 20 mins they were a little too done IMO...

My slab went next

5mins each side and it was perfectly medium.... awesome and didn't take as long as I thought.

I added some non stick spray to the inside and out and it made cleanup even easier, I was able to get everything off with a paper towel, perfect for the trail and multiple day use with no good cleaning facilities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode