New to Kayaking and Need Buying Advice - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 05-30-2010, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
New to Kayaking and Need Buying Advice

My wife and I started Kayaking last year. We rented the kayaks and now want to get more serious with it. As we need to buy two, one for her and one for me. This i what I am looking at. Also she likes a sit on top and I like a sit in. What are the pro's and con's to them?

Side Note: I am 6'2" and she is 5'4"

EDIT: So after seeing Dicks Sporting goods wants to charge $225 shipping for a $230 Kayak I decided to look else where. Now looking at this bad boy.

Emotion Kayaks Comet Kayak

07 JK 2/DR Sahara, 35" Wrangler kevlar, 10k Winch, Garvin Roof Rack, 3" Black Diamond, CatBack Exhaust, RR Gen-1 Snorkel, too much more to list

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Welcome to JKOWNERS- Home of boobs, guns, meat, and Jeeps.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bodybrdng; 05-30-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 05-30-2010, 11:37 AM
JKO Addict!

What other makes and models have you paddled? Depending on your build you may not be tickled with that Comet and likely the two of you will find that the same kayak won't work for both of you due to differences in height and weight. It's a fairly wide and short kayak, you may find you will want something alittle faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnb2010 View Post
As BSack would probably say, the rewards of doing for others while seeking nothing makes one rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Momma View Post
Had to google this...

Last edited by bsack; 05-30-2010 at 11:41 AM.
post #3 of 31 Old 05-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

The longer and narrower you go.....the faster it will be and it will track straighter. My Dagger is shorter- maybe 9-10 ft (can't remember). I like it because i can navigate marshes and rivers a little easier/ quicker. Just sucks on open water like lakes and bays where you are simply trying to get from point A to point B with the least amount of effort.

If you like to fish at all, then a sit-in can be somewhat restrictive, but I do it often and have gotten used to the limitations.

For me- I feel much more stable on the water (especially rough water- waves/ rapids). The sit-on-tops that I have tried, made me feel as if the craft was top-heavy. Keep in mind that you can't flood/ submerge a sit-on-top, like you can with a sit-in type. Once that cockpit is full of water, it becomes next to impossible to steer and make any headway on the water. They can also be a chore to dump out. Only time that I became completely flooded, was on the coast- once during a Hurricane, and another time trying to ride waves. Oh- and I never cared for the "skirt" although I have used one. That's the waterproof thing that seals the cockpit so that water stays out, and so that you can do Eskimo-rolls.

Everybody likes something different, and has different recreational needs. I'm just sharing my experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 05-30-2010, 03:15 PM
JKO Addict!

You should have float bags front and rear in a 'sea' kayak though most recreational kayaks have enough rigid foam in them to keep them afloat if rolled and to help the wide body have enough rigidity. Properly outfitted a sit-inside is as safe and unsinkable as a sit-on-top. Though you can get more cold weather use out of a enclosed kayak because though you won't be eskimo rolling a Comet, with a spray skirt will keep you relatively dry and warmer than a sit-on-top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnb2010 View Post
As BSack would probably say, the rewards of doing for others while seeking nothing makes one rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Momma View Post
Had to google this...
post #5 of 31 Old 05-31-2010, 08:54 PM
Granite Guru

Save yourself a lot of grief and go take a beginners whitewater course. You will learn in one weekend more than you can imagine. You will have a good idea of what kind of kayak you want after spending a lot of time under one! You need to decide if you want a lake kayak or whitewater or if you like to do a little of both. The sit on tops make great fishing platforms and are fun in the surf. The enclosed kayaks with skirts are better for cool or cold water use.

Before dropping $600 or more take the class. The worst thing would be buying the kayaks and one of you having a bad experiencing capsizing and never getting in the boat again.

Also, you might consider a canoe. They come in whitewater and lake styles also and have the advantage of being able to carry a lot more gear if you think you might do some long trips.

Pay close attention to the posted weight limits on these boats. 250 pounds means 250 pounds, not 285. As tall as you are, you are going to want a longer boat than what you have pictured. Make sure you sit in and preferably paddle any boat before you buy. That cute little sucker may be a painful bastard after five hours of paddling without adequate back support or cramped aching legs that are twisted up because the boat is too short. The longer boats paddle straighter and faster but may not be able to turn in a tight creek. Finally if you are looking at a whitewater boat, it should fit as tight as OJ Simpson's glove. You wear those suckers.

And get all the safety gear.

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill", Bob Arnett

Last edited by JKDoc; 05-31-2010 at 09:03 PM.
post #6 of 31 Old 06-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Granite Guru

depends on where your going, also if there is a dicks or any other sports store around sometimes they'll cover shipping to the store. also the stores will run specials all the time on kayaks so you should be able to find a good price
post #7 of 31 Old 06-03-2010, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyeye View Post
depends on where your going, also if there is a dicks or any other sports store around sometimes they'll cover shipping to the store. also the stores will run specials all the time on kayaks so you should be able to find a good price
Unfortunately Dick's does not offer site to store and want to charge $225 shipping for a $250 Kayak..

I am going to order from REI as they have a store about 20min away and have free site to store.

From everything I have been reading the Emotion Kayak Comet is going to be the best choice for us.
http://www.emotionkayaks.com/HTML/Kayaks/comet10.html
YouTube - Comet Kayak!

Thank you all for your help.

07 JK 2/DR Sahara, 35" Wrangler kevlar, 10k Winch, Garvin Roof Rack, 3" Black Diamond, CatBack Exhaust, RR Gen-1 Snorkel, too much more to list

Quote:
post #8 of 31 Old 06-03-2010, 09:33 AM
TrailDuty.com

FWIW I have a sit on top Ocean Kayak and it's great in the surf, but if you have to travel more than a mile or so get ready for a good workout.
post #9 of 31 Old 06-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Wheeler

i may be too late...
but check out the TYPE of plastic they are made from.
some skimp on materials and you will have to buy another one in 2-3 years.

i have had my 2 old town's for over 10 years w/ no problems.

being a larger guy (240lbs) i personally enjoy a small canoe faced reverse direction with only me in it at the almost middle seat.

READ THIS. IT IS ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW.

http://www.alsmallboats.com/canoes.html

http://www.alsmallboats.com/kayak.html
post #10 of 31 Old 06-03-2010, 10:10 AM
JKO Addict!

You wont be happy with that style of kayak. They suck.
Been paddling for over 10 years now and i started with a sit on top, then went to a short enclosed boat, then long touring boats, and now im doing whitewater.

The short boats like you show really dont have much purpose....jack of all trades, master of none.
They suck on big open water because they are slow as molasses, they suck in whitewater because they are not really stable and you cant easily roll them, they are really only "good" for the lazy river style of paddling.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #11 of 31 Old 06-03-2010, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

hmm...know I have no clue what to get..lol

Basically looking to do Kayaking year round. Water styles from large water ares with a chance of white caps due to high winds, also large ponds, and some calm streams/rivers. Also some fishing once in a while but not very often.

Can't afford to spend a fortune due to also having to get the wife one too. I am not a fan of sit on top due to wanting year round kayaking .

Quote:
post #12 of 31 Old 06-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I would really look into a mid length (maybe around 10 ft) Dagger or Old Town. Their prices are pretty realistic on a lot of models, and both brands that I have had, have held up well to salt and fresh water. Cabella's has a good selection imo.

Keep the kayaks clean too. Wash them if you can after each trip- especially if using in salt water. Oh- and avoid oyster reefs if possible- lol.

Too short- and I think you will spend a lot of time paddling to make much headway and to keep it going straight.

Too long- and they can become cumbersome in transporting, carrying, and in water that has tight areas due to marshes, trees, or other obstructions.

I personally like one that is light enough to lift and carry with one person- although that might not matter much to you- different strokes.

I recommend while (or shortly after) getting your kayak, to also look into a very comfortable and well fitting USCG approved life-jacket, and an ergonomic paddle. Bending-Branches make great paddles imo.

I agree with SONIC on the "jack of all trades" dilemma, however if you go specific (long touring or short whitewater) then you will limit yourself to being able to go anywhere. My mid length Dagger isn't the best on open water, or on tight rapids, but I like it. I like being able to take it anywhere, and I have had a ton of fun with it in many different situations- ocean, in-shore bays, lakes, swamps, bayous, rivers, etc.

JMO
Good luck-

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #13 of 31 Old 06-03-2010, 11:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Something like this is what i would go with in your shoes
http://www.dagger.com/product/index/...catalyst_12_8/

A little shorter
http://www.dagger.com/product/index/...axis/axis_105/

this is what i paddle...But get on some flat water and youre screwed
http://www.eddyflower.com/ShowBoat.aspx?BoatId=101

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #14 of 31 Old 06-04-2010, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

My biggest problem is that I am trying to stay around the $200-$300(each) range due to the fact I have to buy two.

Quote:

Last edited by bodybrdng; 06-04-2010 at 03:15 PM.
post #15 of 31 Old 06-05-2010, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Found Dick's Sporting has these on sale for $299 this week and going to pick these up instead.

FEATURES

SPECS
Length: 12’ - 366 cm
Beam: 28’’ - 71 cm
Depth: 15.75’’ - 40 cm
Cockpit Width: 19’’ - 48 cm
Cockpit Length: 39’’ - 99 cm
Weight: 48 lb - 22 kg
Max. Capacity: 300 lb - 136 kg
Hull Material: Ram-X™

http://potomacsport.com/Potomac120.html

Quote:

Last edited by bodybrdng; 06-06-2010 at 04:04 AM.
post #16 of 31 Old 06-05-2010, 09:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

we just went camping and brought my freinds canoe and i saw a lot of kayaks we rent kayaks a couple times a year last year and i went kayaking for 6 hours in the greens program during middle school and i enjoy it very much i was throwing hte idea around while camping but i realized i have no room to store one so i need to get a rack before the kayak.

that looks like a good mix.prolly for what you need and what i would do,

creeks and small rivers maybe the intercoastal its a fun sport and if you do it often enough it is a pretty good way to stay in shape for certain muscles.

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #17 of 31 Old 06-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Wheeler

I would keep an eye out for some on craigslist. There are plenty of people on there that bought boats thinking they were going to paddle more than they have so you can pick up an almost new boat for pretty cheap. A lot of times they come with a paddle and a PFD so that's also money you don't have to spend.

If that's not an option I would recommend the Perception Swifty. For the price point it is actually a pretty decent boat. It's cheap, it's reasonably fast, and it's very stable.
post #18 of 31 Old 06-20-2010, 08:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybrdng View Post
Found Dick's Sporting has these on sale for $299 this week and going to pick these up instead.

FEATURES

SPECS
Length: 12’ - 366 cm
Beam: 28’’ - 71 cm
Depth: 15.75’’ - 40 cm
Cockpit Width: 19’’ - 48 cm
Cockpit Length: 39’’ - 99 cm
Weight: 48 lb - 22 kg
Max. Capacity: 300 lb - 136 kg
Hull Material: Ram-X™

http://potomacsport.com/Potomac120.html

you will want to upgrade the seat and/or some more support. your back will hate you after about an hour of paddling.

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #19 of 31 Old 06-21-2010, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
you will want to upgrade the seat and/or some more support. your back will hate you after about an hour of paddling.
Actually did about 3 hours and no problem on the back. The back seat is adjustable. My ass on the other hand is another story. Need to get a seat pad or something.

Quote:

Last edited by bodybrdng; 06-21-2010 at 05:28 AM.
post #20 of 31 Old 06-21-2010, 09:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybrdng View Post
Actually did about 3 hours and no problem on the back. The back seat is adjustable. My ass on the other hand is another story. Need to get a seat pad or something.
awesome

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #21 of 31 Old 07-05-2010, 09:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

ok he got him some kayaks ive decided to get one when the cash is ready to go

should i start a new thread or jsut reuse this one?

post #22 of 31 Old 07-06-2010, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post
ok he got him some kayaks ive decided to get one when the cash is ready to go

should i start a new thread or jsut reuse this one?
Go for it bro, re-use this thread

Quote:
post #23 of 31 Old 07-06-2010, 11:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

ok whatever

what do you guys think of this one

http://www.pelicansport.com/index.ph...at=KOA10P200:D

post #24 of 31 Old 07-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
ok whatever

Which one?
post #25 of 31 Old 07-06-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
ok whatever

I don't know if I would do that it has an error on it
Quote:
Error there are no nautical boats name KOA10P200.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode