Disc Golf? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 04-26-2010, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac
Disc Golf?

A buddy of mine took me out last week to play disc golf for the first time and I am HOOKED! went out the next day and bought a set of discs....

anyone else play? have any pointers for a noob?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-26-2010, 11:05 PM
Rock God

i play from time to time. Just have fun. dont get to techo weenie with it. I carry one disc...maybe 2. and a back pack full beer. I gotta laugh when i see some dork with 100 discs and a small pack muel to carry it all just because if a squirrel farts in the pine tree he needs a disc to compensate for it. Just throw the fricken toy.lol Check out French Creeks course if you havnt already.

2007 Wrangler
Rescue Green
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.5" AEV Lift
37" GoodYear MTR
Pro Comp 7089's
Tom Woods Shafts F&R
OR Fab Tire Carrier
Shaffer Stinger
Bulldog Winch
Buschwacker Flat Flares
Poly Tie Rod
JKS Disco
post #3 of 23 Old 04-28-2010, 07:58 AM
Rock God

Garage

its great, lots of fun. even goes well with

we only ever carry 2 discs. a driver and a putter. and this is because we have a friend who is really into it. but he still even only carries two.

beagle comes with us too and she loves it! lots of sniffing time.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 04-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Granite Guru

I went with my buddy before he is really big into it he probably has about 50 discs lol. It is a good way to kill some time, but I am not big into it. Just a fun time to get a few people together and play.

2011 Rubicon-2 door- 35" Trail Grappler-2.5" tera flex-Stubby Schrockworks-20" led bar
post #5 of 23 Old 05-02-2010, 10:55 PM
JKO Addict!

In my secured complex...we have a disc golf course...anyone wanna come over I live in Highlands Ranch, Crawlorado.

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #6 of 23 Old 05-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourplyn View Post
In my secured complex...we have a disc golf course...anyone wanna come over I live in Highlands Ranch, Crawlorado.
you must live in palomino park? how is it? though about moving to that area

2007 Wrangler
Rescue Green

3.5" AEV Lift
37" GoodYear MTR
Pro Comp 7089's
Tom Woods Shafts F&R
OR Fab Tire Carrier
Shaffer Stinger
Bulldog Winch
Buschwacker Flat Flares
Poly Tie Rod
JKS Disco
post #7 of 23 Old 03-17-2011, 01:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Just played today for the first time in like 25 years. It was fun, but would probably be better with a group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube
Once upon a time grown men didn't act like assholes for no reason nor get butt-hurt by complete strangers.

Then the internet was born.
post #8 of 23 Old 03-24-2011, 07:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Here's the local park. Being anovice, I can't give an educated review and comparison of the course, but I had a great time! First time I played it 3 times with a Wham-O 175g and did fair. Never made par, but had some good shots. A few days later, I went to Play It Again Sports and got an Innova Valkyrie. Did much better and by the second time around I was making some strong pars.

Most of the holes lack real finesse, but require some long drives. There are a few that have some pretty imposing obstacles like hundred year old oaks that look like enjoy eating discs.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course...d=2597&mode=ci

Back in, ohhhhhhhh, I don't know, maybe 1982/83, I played this course. It was my first try at disc golf, although I was a regular thrower and a pretty wicked drive for a 16 year old.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3811

Back then, I was still using a standard Wham-O, I think in the 165g flavor, but may have been a 140g.

One hole I can still remember. The tee was at the top of a hill with a pretty decent slope and a hard left turn at the end. The basket was out of sight from the tee. There was a thick tree canopy that prevented you from taking a short cut and forcing you to throw under the low hanging branches. If you threw as if you were on flat ground, the disc would ultimately catch too much air since there is a slope and fade back with minimal distance. Throw it too low to compensate and it's in the ground.

Then there was the water hazard. The testosterone wanted to wing it over the pond, but the logical side didn't want to risk losing my brother in law's disc, so I had to lose a stroke and lay it up.

Quote:
Once upon a time grown men didn't act like assholes for no reason nor get butt-hurt by complete strangers.

post #9 of 23 Old 03-24-2011, 07:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

My son plays on teams down in Austin. I played for the first time last weekend with him. Just have fun would be my recommendation as well. He has a pack but also has won money playing so I won't say anything about all the disc's. I lost one and found a better one in the creek so I'm better than even. Good time for anyone willing to walk.
post #10 of 23 Old 03-24-2011, 11:41 PM
JKO Addict!

I have played a few times but just go out for fun. My cousin and his friend are addicted to disc golf. It is fun though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader613 View Post
yeah...I decided to go and finish on the tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
actually , I can see my cock , is just a little hard to shave down there
post #11 of 23 Old 03-30-2011, 12:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I kept saying I wasn't gonna get all geek with this. Yeah one disc will do. Already had a Valkyrie driver just picked up a putter and a mid range. Mark me as geek now.

Quote:

post #12 of 23 Old 03-30-2011, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittnthebz View Post
I have played a few times but just go out for fun. My cousin and his friend are addicted to disc golf. It is fun though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLLawdog View Post
I kept saying I wasn't gonna get all geek with this. Yeah one disc will do. Already had a Valkyrie driver just picked up a putter and a mid range. Mark me as geek now.
HA!

I said the same thing when I started! Now I have more discs than I cam even remember! And after throwing many a round with them, I've settled on a "Buzzz SS" for my drives, and "Avian" for my mids and approaches and some no name super soft putter. I have about 20 total discs in my bag but consistently only throw those 3

post #13 of 23 Old 03-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramaniac View Post
HA!

I said the same thing when I started! Now I have more discs than I cam even remember! And after throwing many a round with them, I've settled on a "Buzzz SS" for my drives, and "Avian" for my mids and approaches and some no name super soft putter. I have about 20 total discs in my bag but consistently only throw those 3
Ever go out to French Creek next to Hopewell Lake?

I think they have 2 different courses there IIRC. I gotta get back into that. I used to be pretty good.

post #14 of 23 Old 03-30-2011, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
Ever go out to French Creek next to Hopewell Lake?

I think they have 2 different courses there IIRC. I gotta get back into that. I used to be pretty good.
French Creek only has one course, but it's spread out over a pretty big area. My buddy and I play FC at least once a month. I'll let you know next time we head out and you can join us!

Sent by carrier pigeon

post #15 of 23 Old 03-30-2011, 01:39 PM
Rock God

I actually carry three

a driver, putter and some goofy shaped one that goes up really high.
we have a couple of long stretches on the course I play on where there are a lot of short trees and it is a lot easier to go over rather than through them.

I haven't played in a couple months though.
post #16 of 23 Old 03-30-2011, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
French Creek only has one course, but it's spread out over a pretty big area. My buddy and I play FC at least once a month. I'll let you know next time we head out and you can join us!

Sent by carrier pigeon
Word!

See ya Saturday

post #17 of 23 Old 03-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Granite Guru

I also play disc golf, usually once a week. It's always a good time with some buddies and beer. I love seeing the guys who carry 30 disc to the course but then only use 4 at most. Then when they stink it up they start whippin out all kinds of random disc sayin," well I should have thrown this one." Disc golf is like anything else. Carry a driver and a butter and practice and constancy will bring the game quickly. It's easy, like was said, your just throwing a toy. Don't make it any harder than that and you'll b fine. If your back hand throw sucks then try what they call 'flicking' the disc. Flicking is basically holding the disc the complete opposite way you would as is you were going to throw a disc on the beach. Then flick it side armed. I think I just went nerd on that post but it is a fun game. Innova makes good discs. Champion orc by Innova is a good one.also.
post #18 of 23 Old 03-30-2011, 02:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
HA!

I picked up a Buzzz Pro D and an Aviar Put and Approach. They had a Nuke and a Champion Valkyrie I came close to grabbing.

Quote:

post #19 of 23 Old 03-30-2011, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I picked up a Buzzz Pro D and an Aviar Put and Approach. They had a Nuke and a Champion Valkyrie I came close to grabbing.
I have a nuke and a Valkyrie, can't stand either of them

Sent by carrier pigeon

post #20 of 23 Old 03-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Granite Guru

I only carry one disc. It's an older champion Orc. I use it as a driver and putter.169 grams. Works well...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
post #21 of 23 Old 03-30-2011, 03:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I have a nuke and a Valkyrie, can't stand either of them

Sent by carrier pigeon
I like my Valk DL. Of course, being new to the sport, I don't have tons of experience. I got an almost 300' drive last Sunday. Took a lazy turn off course and was heading about 50' away from the tee, but hit a palm tree and deflected within 10'.

If the weather holds out, I'm hoping to get at least one round in tomorrow after work.

Quote:

post #22 of 23 Old 03-30-2011, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I like my Valk DL. Of course, being new to the sport, I don't have tons of experience. I got an almost 300' drive last Sunday. Took a lazy turn off course and was heading about 50' away from the tee, but hit a palm tree and deflected within 10'.

If the weather holds out, I'm hoping to get at least one round in tomorrow after work.
300' is a nice drive! I'm average 225-250 (measured by pacing it out)

I have a decent short game though so once I get close I can bang the chains fairly easy

Sent by carrier pigeon

post #23 of 23 Old 03-30-2011, 05:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

My short game sucks and my drives are inconsistent. They should just change the name of the game to FUCK!!!! instead of golf.

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode