Kayak Mounting ? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-12-2010, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Kayak Mounting ?

Normally I just put the top down and strap my kayak to the front and rear bumpers and away I go. My problem is now that I'm gettting ready to take a vacation with my kayak and don't want to drive in the rain with no top. I would put a rack of somesort on my jeep but it only clears the garage by less than an inch now. My kayak ways about 65 pounds. If I just throw it on top of the Jeep with the soft top up is it going to destroy the bows in the top? Anybody have any other ideas? Thanks

Fish

07 X. 4 inch lift. 35 inch Pro Comp Mud Terrains. Rock Hard bumpers front and rear. Warn 9.5 Ti. sPOD. More to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Rock God

Garage

I have the same delima with my canoe. 65 pounds, is not much. But.... it will catch a lot of air at highway speeds, I can't see the soft top bows surviving.

I plan to buy a new house with a higher shop door, and install a rack.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #3 of 12 Old 04-12-2010, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Im thinking if it will hold it for a few minutes I can stuff a couple pieces of foam from an old kayak carrier I had on top of the roll bar and windshield. This should raise the kayak above the bow in the roof. Then I strap down the bow and stearn like I normally do. I just haven't figured out how to secure the foam in place. I'm afraid at highway speeds it might blow out.

07 X. 4 inch lift. 35 inch Pro Comp Mud Terrains. Rock Hard bumpers front and rear. Warn 9.5 Ti. sPOD. More to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-12-2010, 09:00 PM
JKO Addict!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...0030168017442a

You may be able to set that up high enough so the kayak is raked and doesnt touch anything but the loader and the windshield.....

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #5 of 12 Old 04-12-2010, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

That's a good idea Sonic. The Cabelas version won't clear my spare tire but I should be able to weld something up that would work. Thanks

post #6 of 12 Old 04-12-2010, 10:08 PM
JKO Addict!

yeah i would never buy one of those, its probably the easiest thing you could possibly fab if you have a welder and a chop saw

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #7 of 12 Old 06-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Wheeler

I know tis probably dosent help much but for my kayaks I was able to buy an old boat trailer and have it fabricated into a boat trailer. I live in St. Louis if you are interested in seeing it. I could talk to the guy that did mine and see if I could help you.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-17-2010, 04:25 AM
Rock God

Garage

Here is mine

07 JK 2/DR Sahara, 35" Wrangler kevlar, 10k Winch, Garvin Roof Rack, 3" Black Diamond, CatBack Exhaust, RR Gen-1 Snorkel, too much more to list

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Welcome to JKOWNERS- Home of boobs, guns, meat, and Jeeps.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Granite Guru

Nice, and the little woman is smiling too. Nice job. I have the KargoMaster rack for the 4dr, with one cross bar in rear, placed where the kayak has the most support while upside down, ~ 5ft. My brother & I both have the same kayaks, Pelican fishing ride on top style. Works good for what we do with our families, & kids, on lakes, and slow moving rivers.

2008 Red Rock Rubicon Unltd 6spd dual top
post #10 of 12 Old 06-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Granite Guru

here is my jeep... The yakima bars are mounted with kargo master brackets. Luckily they also hold on the awning... all it took was some custom modified hinges I found at home depot that were originally for a backyard gate.

I know they aren't in the picture, but I have since put on a yakima bike and mako kayak racks on the bars that you see mounted to the cargo rack. It can hold the kayak, my bike, 10 gallons of gas, and all my gear up there no sweat.

sorry for the crappy pic but its the only one I have of the rack right now.

Last edited by give me vtec; 06-22-2010 at 03:59 PM.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Wheeler

anyone have a 4 door that has solved this problem? my wife wants to get 2 kayaks for x-mas and that way we have them for the summer .. I don't know why she wants them for x-mas we get something call snow here in Canada. anyways i normally have the soft top down but i don't know how to rig them up!

I will be picking up a M101cnd trailer next week for $650 and it looks to be in great shape with little rust but we will see once i get it back to base and have some time to look it over! Can i rig them up to that trailer ?? any help would be great !

Cheers
post #12 of 12 Old 07-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Wheeler

what kinda tent is that ?? would really like to know !

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by give me vtec View Post
here is my jeep... The yakima bars are mounted with kargo master brackets. Luckily they also hold on the awning... all it took was some custom modified hinges I found at home depot that were originally for a backyard gate.

I know they aren't in the picture, but I have since put on a yakima bike and mako kayak racks on the bars that you see mounted to the cargo rack. It can hold the kayak, my bike, 10 gallons of gas, and all my gear up there no sweat.

sorry for the crappy pic but its the only one I have of the rack right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode