Fat Tire Bikes? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 05-20-2015, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Fat Tire Bikes?

I have been considering getting my hands on one of these new fat tire bikes. Anyone actually have one and ride it. Looking for feedback.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...tZIaAkHD8P8HAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 05-20-2015, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

You can get them from midlifecrisis.com also.

They're heavy as fuck and eventually will make you feel like you're trying to load your dick into a sweaty fat woman while eating a bucket of greasy chicken. They're a blast at first... until you lose your boner and regain your common sense.

Tires and tubes ain't cheap for these dinosaurs either.

Also keep in mind that the stress that the rotational weight exerts on the components is pretty hardcore... like a swinging around a bag full of wet-turtles. Spokes, rims, chains, bottom-brackets, and hubs will be put to the test. To replace crank-sets, bottom brackets, or wheels on these behemoth bitches is expensive, somewhat time-consuming, and no damned fun unless you're a long-haired liberal bike nut that just smoked a bag of Funyuns.

The cool factor is pretty high with the puppy-n-candy crowd but otherwise I would personally steer the fuck away from them. At the very least, look into replacement part support to see what kind of parts/ prices are available.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 26 Old 05-20-2015, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Well, hello Johnny Rain Cloud! I like hot, fat, greasy, sweaty bitches (like you when I get you around a tub of Crisco), so this sounds perfect! I current have a DB Response 26'er, I know lolz, 26'er talk about dinosaurs. I would think airing one of these pigs down would be a nice compromise between being sprung and using the tire as a spring. The increased contact patch would be beneficial in some of the sandy washes we have on the local trails where my standard 2.10 just sinks in like my dick into a warm apple pie.

I wonder if anyone on here actually owns one and rides it?

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 05-20-2015, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

My current bike.
Attached Images

Quote:
post #5 of 26 Old 05-20-2015, 01:14 PM
Granite Guru

He has one in Alaska. They're fun as hell in the snow because I get great traction but, I agree with the above statement that it would be like flying around a fat chick or some turtles
post #6 of 26 Old 05-20-2015, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

I like turtles.

Anyone want some warm apple pie?
Attached Images

Quote:
post #7 of 26 Old 05-20-2015, 01:24 PM
Granite Guru

You guys are always good for some laughs
post #8 of 26 Old 05-20-2015, 03:09 PM
Rock God

I ride a Salsa Mukluk 2.

Fat tires are sweet on the snow but I also ride mine year-round cuz it's just as happy on normal single-tracks and excels in sand and pea gravel.

I won't be goin' back to the skinny tire shit.

Bought a JK to haul it to the trails.

I'm the President of The White Trash of the Elwood Chapter ... and you ain't.
post #9 of 26 Old 05-20-2015, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Is it suspended?

Quote:
post #10 of 26 Old 05-21-2015, 06:23 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

I test rode a few a few months ago. Pig is an understatement, but they made up for it in a few places. Ungodly amounts of traction, and float for days. If you ride sloppy soft junk or loose material these will beat a 2.1-2.5 all day every day.

Where they suffer is weight, climbability, and agility, all 3 are key here in New England.

I ended up sticking to a 26-er. You can't be a 26 in terms of tight singletrack agility, though I'm itching to slap some 2.5 maxxis minions on it.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
post #11 of 26 Old 05-21-2015, 08:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Gearing these things really low would probably be a lot of fun on the beach. I wouldn't expect high speeds but it would be fun. Long Island has miles of beaches to ride so packed sand would be a good ride.

LI terrain probably caters to fat bikes more than anything else; we have no rocks, no big elevation changes, lots of dirt and rooted singletrack and beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #12 of 26 Old 05-21-2015, 08:47 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Is it suspended?
Just on the front.

Fits my needs perfectly ... which is why I bought it.

I'm the President of The White Trash of the Elwood Chapter ... and you ain't.
post #13 of 26 Old 05-21-2015, 02:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I still ride this bad boy...

You fancy pants with your "gears" and your "suspensions"....ppffft

I reach my optimal heart rate in like a block

Get a cheap one from wally world see if you like it...
then sell/gift it to get a better one...
Attached Images

How I LEARNED TO STOP GIVING A SHIT AND LOVE MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE

It’s time to reevaluate the way we coddle the future generation. Making mistakes and getting hurt is how you grow. Teaching kids to fear Pop Tarts is how you promote xenophobia. Let’s get it together, America.
post #14 of 26 Old 08-04-2015, 07:40 PM
Granite Guru

I bought my son a mongoose dolomite fatbike to get him in the game. He loves it and it's definitely fun to ride. I ride a scott genius lt40 and we both ride downhill and single track together. I may eventually get a fatty for myself just cause it's fun and something different.
post #15 of 26 Old 08-04-2015, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Still haven't made any decisions on getting one, money has been going to other places for the last few months, so this got bumped to the bottom of the list while I ride my Diamondback 26'er.

Quote:
post #16 of 26 Old 08-04-2015, 08:55 PM
TJT
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
My current bike.
BRO! I have the same bike!
post #17 of 26 Old 08-04-2015, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJT View Post
BRO! I have the same bike!
It's a great bike, I have no complaints with it. It simply works, and well.

Quote:
post #18 of 26 Old 08-20-2015, 07:24 AM
JKO Addict!

I'm considering one of these as well, a Boris X5 to be exact. I live in a semi-rural area and I spend way too much time waiting for good weather to ride. I hate skiing and boarding, and I figure one of these would be killer for the snow-covered loose gravel paths we have traversing our area. They may be a bitch to climb on or maneuver, and we have almost 1000 feet in elevation gain on those trails just through my neighborhood....I'm a bike freak in good shape, but if doing this kills me then I should be in killer condition come spring. For six bills, why the hell not.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #19 of 26 Old 08-20-2015, 07:56 AM

I love my fat bike. I have been riding Mt. bikes for over 30 years and this is one of my favorite bikes. A lot of people think they are snow bikes "wrong" I ride this bike on everything. I have taken this bike on every bike trail in Moab.
My bike only weights 27lbs so it's not heavy at all. If you want a good light fat bike be prepared to dish out $$$.

post #20 of 26 Old 08-20-2015, 08:32 AM
Rock God

Diggin' the fat bikes...too many other budgeted projects at the moment...I keep eyein' the Trek Farleys, tho'.
post #21 of 26 Old 08-20-2015, 09:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Dude View Post
If you want a good light fat bike be prepared to dish out $$$.
Ain't that the truth. I've got too much wrapped up in my other rides as it is...which is why I'm going to buy cheap and beat that bike like it owes me money. I won't drop for carbon, a 1x, and Bluto setup like you've got unless it bites me hard.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #22 of 26 Old 08-20-2015, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Definitely some good information in this thread. Thanks for that and keep it coming! This might be my only offroad vehicle after I trade my Jeep in on a 2016 Focus RS!

Quote:
post #23 of 26 Old 08-21-2015, 08:24 AM
Rock God

On the bottom end, the Mongoose Beast at WallyWorld get props for $200...sounds like a real beater.
post #24 of 26 Old 08-21-2015, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfred View Post
On the bottom end, the Mongoose Beast at WallyWorld get props for $200...sounds like a real beater.
This is the bike that I was originally referring to... cheap-ass components and heavy as shit. Getting into the higher-end Trek or Boris may be another story... idk, but I can't imagine any heavyweight Mongoose fatty is going to hold up very well with regularly scheduled beatings.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #25 of 26 Old 08-21-2015, 12:41 PM
JKO Addict!

The thing with the Boris, or any other Motobecane you buy mail order, is that they don't receive the assembly and setup attention that a shop bike does. You either need to 1) know how to wrench the bike yourself or 2) take it to a shop to have it set up. They are a tremendous value if you don't mind doing one of those things. I wrench myself so they are a good buy. For that $600 bucks, a shop will get you for $1000+ for an equivalent machine. Hope I like it, because resale on the Motos is shite.

-Milton Friedman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode