Geocaching? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 07-08-2008, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom
Geocaching?

I thought this had been discussed on here before but I couldn't find the old thread.
never done it, but I think I'm gonna go out and give it a try this evening
Just put fresh batts in the old GPS60C and loaded up a few close caches from www.geocaching.com so wtf, I'm on vac from work this week and my jeep parts aren't here yet so I might as well give this a shot, if I'm lucky I might even find a few snakes

And as I typed this it starts raining, my luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 07-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Rock God

I have looked into it and it looks really fun. Just no chance yet to do it and I need a good GPS for it

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #3 of 35 Old 07-08-2008, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

went out scrounging with a buddy tonight - 2 people REALLY helps, 1 to nav and one to drive.
Found 4 of the 6 caches we went to.
Goin back tomorrow to hit the 2 again and try to find what we missed.
There are dozens of caches within a few miles of my house so I think we'll be doin this quite a bit.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Alec W

Geocaching is fun with kids plus we got to find some local parks and other places we never knew existed.
post #5 of 35 Old 07-11-2008, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

ok so 3 days of daily geocaching trips and we're hooked.

Quote:
post #6 of 35 Old 10-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Rock God

ok i give.... what is it?

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #7 of 35 Old 10-13-2008, 09:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnpj View Post
In AZ geo is no fun, cause the turtles move all the time,
post #8 of 35 Old 10-13-2008, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnpj View Post
basically it's a high tech scavenger hunt
goto www.geocaching.com, punch in your zip code and it shows all of the "caches" hidden around you and gives you GPS coordinates to them
you take your GPS and go out and find where the little ammo box or tupperware or pill bottle or whatever container is hidden, find it, sign the logbook inside it and most of them have little trinkets in them, take a trinket & leave a different trinket.
Theres variations, some are teeny tiny caches that are a b1tch to find and only hold a slip of paper for a log, some are camoflaged like a magnetic, hollow bolt that unscrews to open up but looks like a bolt going through something. Stuff like that
Plus some of the trinkets have a serial number and are trackable so you can punch it up on the web and see where it started and where all its been.
some have been to dozens of countries.

it's addicting as hell
it amazed me, there are hundreds of caches hidden all around me in places I go all the time and just never knew they existed

thats the gist of it....

Quote:
post #9 of 35 Old 10-14-2008, 05:55 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to kerryp Send a message via Skype™ to kerryp

Yeah its a blast and gives you something to do on slow days. Wish I had thought of that yesterday while I was off. My daughter and I put together a cache and hid it and I need to go back and check on it to make sure its in good shape.
post #10 of 35 Old 10-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryp View Post
Yeah its a blast and gives you something to do on slow days. Wish I had thought of that yesterday while I was off. My daughter and I put together a cache and hid it and I need to go back and check on it to make sure its in good shape.
You mean almost flipping over your jeep TWICE in one trip wasn't fun? I had a great time!
post #11 of 35 Old 10-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to kerryp Send a message via Skype™ to kerryp

No, that was fun too.....
post #12 of 35 Old 02-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Wheeler

Geeeeooooooo!

Me and the boys (esquared 2 boys, both names begin with e) started a couple weeks ago AND LOVE IT. Some are easy enough for my four and 2 year old to find. Pluss we have a park across the street and its loaded up with caches.
post #13 of 35 Old 09-28-2009, 08:43 PM
LSM
Granite Guru

I have been doing it since 04. Wanted to get the boys out doing some, now one is grown with a kid and the other is interested in other things. Friends are now hooked and I drag the wife along.

I am trying to look for caches that need the Jeep to get to. Just need another Jeeper just in case I get stuck. There are trails close by that have lots.

ME
08 Rubicon Unlimited / জীপ্ Green / 6 Speed..
Mopar offroad bumper
Winch
Raider Evap Skid plate
Some mods to the bumper
It has started....
post #14 of 35 Old 09-29-2009, 03:59 AM
Rock God

There was a cache hidden in a park across the street from a friends house one time, he would see people stop and sign and take pics or whatever but he had no idea what in the world it was all about. He took it and put it in his house, someone came and knocked on his door and asked if he had seen it, he denied knowing anything about it and ended up throwing it in dumpster. Does this happen very often??

HANG ON TIGHT...I SAW THIS IN A CARTOON ONCE...I THINK I CAN DO IT!!
08 4 DOOR, FLAME RED, 3" SKYJACKER LIFT, 325/70-17 NITTO TERRA GRAPPLERS, MOTO METAL 951 WHEELS, RANCHO REAR BUMPER/TIRE CARRIER,DAYSTAR HOOD WRANGLERS, RAINGLER GRIPS, MOPAR SLUSH MATS
post #15 of 35 Old 09-29-2009, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddandshari'sjk View Post
There was a cache hidden in a park across the street from a friends house one time, he would see people stop and sign and take pics or whatever but he had no idea what in the world it was all about. He took it and put it in his house, someone came and knocked on his door and asked if he had seen it, he denied knowing anything about it and ended up throwing it in dumpster. Does this happen very often??

Its called 'muggling' and its a very ѕhitty thing to do.
If the cache wasn't on his property, no reason to F it up for everyone else.
someone took the trouble to make it, place it and publish it on the geocaching site and other people were obviously looking for it and he decided to screw it up.
kick him in the bollocks for me.

There's supposed to be a explanation in the cache of what it is so if an average person stumbles across it, they can see what its all about and leave it alone, but some caches are too small to have it in there.

Cops get the occasional call from people who dont know what it is that people are using them for drug dealing drops and so on, sheriff here even got one called in as a bomb not too long ago.
They just recently had one brought into them and they just passed it on to me to put back out where it goes.

So if you're a cacher and have any relationship with your local law enforcement, please take a few minutes to educate them on caching if they dont know what it is.
Hell, after I explained it to the local LEOs, I ended up with a few new caching buddies

Quote:
post #16 of 35 Old 02-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Wheeler

love geocaching. a very fun thing to do.

you can even hunt for the jeep travel bugs, though many have been stolen now.

post #17 of 35 Old 02-23-2010, 08:45 AM
Granite Guru

My one daughter enjoys going out with me on a sunny day. We'll pick a few caches near some nice canyon, pack some snacks and the dog and usually end up feeling stupid and cranky by the end of the day.

But we still go!!

08 JKUR 6.5" lift, 40" MTR's ...
post #18 of 35 Old 02-23-2010, 09:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have a cousin who is way into it. He plans his business and vacation trip travel plans around caches. He's been doing it for about a year. In the first month he had already logged more than fifty. All his buddies from the geocaching forum told him he was gonna burn out but so far he is still hooked on it.

I think I'm going to go out with him one Saturday and see what it's all about.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #19 of 35 Old 07-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Rock God

So i thought to my self there cant be any near me......WRONG

There is one basically at the end of my street!
post #20 of 35 Old 07-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Wheeler

Wow!!! Talk about fun. Just started a few days ago. Love IT!!!! Would be neat to find a bunch of Jeepers in my area to join.

2008 JK Rubicon 4" Lift
37" x 12.5 x 18s
LOD Offroad Bumpers and Rails
Back up Camera
Nav/Dvd
Smitty Built Winch

It's a Rock Get Over It!!!
post #21 of 35 Old 07-10-2010, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Cool, just loaded the garmin for a trip out tomorrow

Quote:
post #22 of 35 Old 07-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Rock God

I'm guessing all the geocaching coins on ebay were stolen from a cache site?
post #23 of 35 Old 07-11-2010, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

when jumping out to sign a cache log - do NOT set your GPS on the tire and forget about it.

Quote:
post #24 of 35 Old 07-12-2010, 03:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Damn!! That has got to suck. Didn't know it was a contact sport.
post #25 of 35 Old 07-12-2010, 08:10 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

We do geocaching all the time with the kids. You don't really need a GPS if you have an iPhone (that's what I use) and it works pretty good. Enjoy your time off from work and be more careful next time with the GPS. Cool thing about Geocaching isthat theyare all over the world.

In Sincere Aiki Spirt,

AikiJuan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode