5x8 Box trailer conversion - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 01-27-2010, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
5x8 Box trailer conversion

First off, not 100% sure where I should have posted this, but it seemed this would be the best spot. I regularly visit Expedition Portal and am constantly finding new and interesting takes on things and this is one of those things.

Do any of you have a busted up or un-used 4x6 or 5x8 enclosed trailer? How about a buddy who has one to unload for a cheap buck or two? Well here is a little idea for you.....

Before:

After:

Curious to know more yet?.....
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=34786
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-27-2010, 05:32 AM
Granite Guru

Damn, sweet transformation!

2015 Unlimited "Willys Wheeler", AEV 3.5, 35 Nitto Exo Grapplers
2010 Unlimited "Sahara", 2.5 Rock Krawler Stock Mod on 35" Nittos SOLD
post #3 of 17 Old 01-27-2010, 06:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

WOW!! That is cool.. I read that entire thread.. Which I could weld..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 01-27-2010, 07:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmar2000 View Post
WOW!! That is cool.. I read that entire thread.. Which I could weld..
x2 that was a great read

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-27-2010, 08:36 AM
Rock God

that's a cool trailer.I'm not being a dick,maybe I just need to be educated,but why would you do that to that trailer?are enclosed trailer frames better suited?a short answer would be fine.

'08 Rubicon UL Red Rock(SOLD)
'83 CJ-7
post #6 of 17 Old 01-27-2010, 08:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Damn thats awesome!
I need me some excess time and money and id love to have one!

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #7 of 17 Old 01-27-2010, 09:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRANGLERV8 View Post
that's a cool trailer.I'm not being a dick,maybe I just need to be educated,but why would you do that to that trailer?are enclosed trailer frames better suited?a short answer would be fine.
I thought the exact same thing. Seems like a waste of a good trailer. I mean they stripped it all the way down to the frame. Seems like it would be cheaper to go pick up a trailer axle a welder and some steel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-27-2010, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRANGLERV8 View Post
Nah, its in the OP's thread, but he had two of these enclosed trailers and this one wasn't being used and was in need of a new floor anyway, so he said, F-it!...and started in. Its a great set up and so far above the original cost of the trailer, he's only into the project for $1500-$1800. Not a bad lil deal at all! I didn't ask, but I wonder how much if any he re-couped from recycling the old trailer, there was a lot of good aluminum to it.

Last edited by Loki646; 01-27-2010 at 09:15 AM.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-27-2010, 09:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki646 View Post
Nah, its in the OP's thread, but he had two of these enclosed trailers and this one wasn't being used and was in need of a new floor anyway, so he said, F-it!...and started in. Its a great set up and so far above the original cost of the trailer, he's only into the project for $1500-$1800. Not a bad lil deal at all! I didn't ask, but I wonder how much if any he re-couped from recycling the old trailer, there was a lot of good aluminum to it.
Close He only has one, didn't want two trailers when he was finished. And yeah the floor needed replacing...

Quote:
<Post #1> ...........I had a 1999 5x8 enclosed trailer that I used for my old R/C boat business a few years ago. It was no longber being used for the boat business, so I decided to use it as a base since I already owned, had a title for it, and a tag/registration for it.

I could have probably sold the little trailer for 600-800 bucks, and started to build a trailer from scratch, but then I would have had to deal with titleing, registering etc, not to mention I saved a lot of time and effort by having the main frame already tried and tru and ready....................

<Post #13> Yeah, i'll be honest. It was HARD to completely destroy a perfectly good enclosed trailer. But the floor needed to be replaced due to a little rot, and I wasnt using it for anything. I also needed a more open type utility trailer for random chores around the house. I really dont have room to keep this trailer, much less two of them, so I decided to hack it up..........

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-27-2010, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

touché....thats what I get for quoting a thread I was speed reading.......but hey it has such pretty pic-atures....
post #11 of 17 Old 01-27-2010, 01:42 PM
JKO Addict!

I go to Expo Portal quite a bit too. Quite a few people convert utility trailers that way. Seems it would be quite a bit more economical as a decent utility trailer can be had for a couple hundred. Even with the floor needing replaced, he most likely could have sold that one, purchased a good utility trailer and had some left over for materials for the build. Just my thoughts. Either way, the outcome is nice.

I plan to start one soon once things start to warm up a bit.
post #12 of 17 Old 01-28-2010, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
I go to Expo Portal quite a bit too. Quite a few people convert utility trailers that way. Seems it would be quite a bit more economical as a decent utility trailer can be had for a couple hundred. Even with the floor needing replaced, he most likely could have sold that one, purchased a good utility trailer and had some left over for materials for the build. Just my thoughts. Either way, the outcome is nice.

I plan to start one soon once things start to warm up a bit.
I don't disagree, he probably could have sold the trailer for 1.5k - 2k and picked up a utility trailer for much less, but hey, there a lot to be said for stress relief and demolition....

I'm waiting on a quote myself from a local fab shop on bending me up new side panels for my M416. I've got it torn down to the frame now, the plan this weekend is to get the new tongue welded on as well as the new 2" receiver on the tail. I should have a new set of leafsprings on order so hopefully my trailer will be fully ready by our July Expo trip to Colorado.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-11-2010, 04:55 AM
JKO Addict!

very cool but I would agree.... why?

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #14 of 17 Old 04-25-2011, 10:52 AM

Hey... cool...

That was my old trailer. Its gone to a new home now. It was a fun build though... I have a new one now

Those trailers, of that age and size (with a rotting floor), dont go for more than 800 -1000 bucks in my area. You would be hard pressed to buy the steel for that amount, let alone the labor involved in building from scratch. Utility trailers have much cheaper/less built frames, most made out of angle, not full box tubing like this one had. Hence the reason they are inexpensive. Then getting it registered and titled... it just made more sense to start with what I had, especially since I wasnt using it no?

Thanks for the compliments, ~ Stump

Here is what it looked like when I sold it a couple months ago:

Last edited by StumpXJ; 04-25-2011 at 10:59 AM.
post #15 of 17 Old 04-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Coonasian

Garage

That was a great conversion and I enjoyed reading it. Thanks!
post #16 of 17 Old 04-25-2011, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Glad to see you made it over Stump....I need to get back over to EP more often....

/

post #17 of 17 Old 04-29-2011, 07:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I can't believe I missed this, I have a 5x8 enclosed that I have been looking for ideas. This might be it, either that or sell what I have and get a military trailer since I lack fab skills, nunchuck, and bowhunting skills I have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode