Trailer question for the Camping Gurus - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-09-2010, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
JNV
Wheeler

Trailer question for the Camping Gurus

I have been looking for something like a ultra light weight toy hauler to pull behind my JK 4door. Since I have not been able to find what I am looking for I am considering building my own. It will most likely be pretty primitive for sure but I want to use it for weekend camping and be able to haul two dirt bikes.
So i am looking for basic trailers to start with. I see some very inexpensive brand new ones in the Harbor Freight tools catalog. There is a huge difference in price between those and the trailers at the local trailer dealers. Is there a big differencein quality or carrying capacity?
Also, if anyone has built there own camping trailer I welcome any advice.
Thanks,
JNV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-19-2010, 12:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Back when they were readily available the M416 Military trailers were the favorites as well as the Canadian version M101. If you google either of those you can get an idea of their look and size. They are basic 4x6 1/4 ton trailers, if you like the style and don't want to wait for a lucky find in the classifieds, Check with Omix-ada as they sell reproduction kits for these. If you are confident in your skills, then I say do a search in here for "M416 Trailer re-build" and use some of the ideas to design your own.

I was lucking enough to find an actual M416, but it is in very rough condition and will require a lot of repair fabrication.

The Harbor Freight trailers are sound enough frame wise but you will definately want to switch out the axle for something that can handle bigger tires. Also stay away from Torsion Axles, they will give you too much bounce on the trail and you risk dumping the trailer. If you would like even more info on the subject, check out ExpeditionPortal... This site is to off-road trailers as JKO is for Jeeps. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Heres a nice platform to start with

ITEM 2948-7VGA

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2948

Name:  02948.gif
Views: 3157
Size:  40.9 KB

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-20-2010, 01:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
Heres a nice platform to start with

ITEM 2948-7VGA

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2948

Attachment 15792

With the right modifications those make great "mules". I can't wait to have my M416 finished and to take it out the first time. Its sad but I'm gonna have more $$$ in my trailer than my Jeep...
post #5 of 11 Old 02-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Granite Guru

Here is a trailer that I am building to pull behind my JK. I am going to use it for hauling a couple dirt bikes and carrying camping equipment through trails. Its not finished, but I thought I would share.
Steve
post #6 of 11 Old 02-14-2010, 09:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice Trailer.

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #7 of 11 Old 02-15-2010, 04:07 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Looks good, reminds me of the one I am building

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #8 of 11 Old 02-15-2010, 06:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

hard to beat a 416
light, VERY tough, pulls great behind a JK and with a little patience can be had pretty cheap
usually in really good shape they go for 600-1000
less if they need work

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

The M101's and M416's bring crazy money on the west coast and south west. Most are rust free and a beater sells for $1500, a nice one $3000.

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #10 of 11 Old 02-16-2010, 02:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Tell me about it I've seen 5 or 6 new owners pop up over @ Expedition Portal in the last 2 wks and most were in Washington State. Me, I find the Cheese Grader Special... Basically I paid 150 for a to scale model template...since everything but the frame will be new on mine. BTW, nice home build Dragon!

/

post #11 of 11 Old 03-26-2010, 07:54 AM
Wheeler

I have a 2007 Rockwood 4 x 4 Pop Up 190 XR. It is a offroad lifted popup camper. It has been used twice and is in great condition. Sets up in minutes. Weighs empty 2500 lbs and can hold about 1600 lbs of cargo. The jks can haul 4000 lbs with weight distribution hitch. Let me know if you are interested and i can email you some pics or check out my profile. Exterior has been covered with camo wrap. Everything works and is in excellent condition. Also has power up and power down. Camper has heated beds, sleeps 6, refrigerator, furnace, and stove. Also has rack on the front to accomodate an ATV, golf cart, hunting or camping gear. Side rails double as ramps.

Last edited by bsharp704; 05-03-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode