Canon EOS Rebel T1i EF-S - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 12-12-2009, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Canon EOS Rebel T1i EF-S

So, Im really close to buying a Canon EOS Rebel T1i EF-S 18-55mm kit, along with a prime lens of some sort, probably a 50mm. This will be my first DSLR. I really want to learn about photography and want something that can take me from total beginner, yet still be able to perform well once I learn wtf I'm doing.

Will I regret buying this camera? Is this a decent "bang for the buck" buy? Is there another DLSR you would recommend instead? Is Canon about to release something brand new shortly that would be worth waiting for?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-12-2009, 12:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

I have an older Canon DSLR and have to say that i love Canon products. they use pretty high quality glass and their CMOS sensors are supposedly even better than ever. if you have a kit you are looking at with the 18-55 lens, i wouldnt get a 50mm lens. its practically duplicating an item. look at a 75-300mm lens. those two are pretty good for an amateur/beginner.

as for will they come out with something new, only they know. i bought my DSLR and like 3 weeks later the new one was released! i do know that they have one that is capable of shooting HDVideo!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-12-2009, 09:52 PM
JKO Addict!

That Rebel is alot of Camera for a first time user. Have you considered maybe something a little older to get you started. I have a Nikon D50 and love it. I have had it a few years and am just now getting fully functional with it, best part is when I do decide to move up to something better then all my accessories (lens, adapters, etc.) can follow along with me, I only have to change out the body. I was able to pick my D50 body up with an 18-55 lens for $450. The money I saved (from buying middle/top of the line) let me get my Sigma 70-300mm and a few more accessories (got a few more SD cards, some filters, etc),

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 12-13-2009, 07:38 AM
Granite Guru

I just bought the Canon EOS Rebel XS, because I was sick of missing action shots. I love the camera but hate the 18-55mm stock lens that came with the kit. Doesn't get close enough at hockey games and not fast enough to catch action without being a little fuzzy. I am buying a different lens. I got mine at Camerakings.com and saved like $150 from what they were in town. It's supposed to be the little brother of the EOS line, with alot of the same features for less $ because it's older. I would have bought just the camera body and picked a different lens had I known, but still love the camera. Try bhphotovideo.com for lens, there's seemed to be the most resonable. I emailed them on what exactly I was looking for in a lens and they replied back with an instant response to what I may like and would work for my situuation. The other lens places told me to call Sales. Good luck!

ND Jeep Girl~'07 Salvaged Silver Wrangler X 4X4 Hardtop~in the process of a slow renovation
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neoprene seat covers, Jeep cargo net, Rampage 2pc Safari top, Smittybilt XRC rear bumper w/ tire carrier
post #5 of 16 Old 12-13-2009, 09:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09rubicon View Post
That Rebel is alot of Camera for a first time user. Have you considered maybe something a little older to get you started. I have a Nikon D50 and love it. I have had it a few years and am just now getting fully functional with it, best part is when I do decide to move up to something better then all my accessories (lens, adapters, etc.) can follow along with me, I only have to change out the body. I was able to pick my D50 body up with an 18-55 lens for $450. The money I saved (from buying middle/top of the line) let me get my Sigma 70-300mm and a few more accessories (got a few more SD cards, some filters, etc),
the rebel Ti series is the entry level Canon DSLR cameras

Last edited by paramaniac; 12-13-2009 at 10:51 AM.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-14-2009, 07:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramaniac View Post
I have an older Canon DSLR and have to say that i love Canon products. they use pretty high quality glass and their CMOS sensors are supposedly even better than ever. if you have a kit you are looking at with the 18-55 lens, i wouldnt get a 50mm lens. its practically duplicating an item. look at a 75-300mm lens. those two are pretty good for an amateur/beginner.

as for will they come out with something new, only they know. i bought my DSLR and like 3 weeks later the new one was released! i do know that they have one that is capable of shooting HDVideo!
The 50mm is a prime lens, completely different from a 18-55mm zoom lens. I'd say get the 50mm, they are very very good for the price. An added bonus with the 50mm is that you'll learn to frame shots.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-14-2009, 07:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochiim View Post
So, Im really close to buying a Canon EOS Rebel T1i EF-S 18-55mm kit, along with a prime lens of some sort, probably a 50mm. This will be my first DSLR. I really want to learn about photography and want something that can take me from total beginner, yet still be able to perform well once I learn wtf I'm doing.

Will I regret buying this camera? Is this a decent "bang for the buck" buy? Is there another DLSR you would recommend instead? Is Canon about to release something brand new shortly that would be worth waiting for?

Thanks in advance

I have one, love it. Shoots video in 1080p as well. Haven't used that feature really but still pretty cool.
post #8 of 16 Old 12-14-2009, 08:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
The 50mm is a prime lens, completely different from a 18-55mm zoom lens. I'd say get the 50mm, they are very very good for the price. An added bonus with the 50mm is that you'll learn to frame shots.
I completely understand the "prime" lens thing, IMHO the 75-300mm is a "mulit tasker" while the 50mm is just that 50mm. No zoom, a fixed lens. If that's what you want, go for it! I feel like I have the ability of a 50mm packed into my 18-55.

I'm no pro, and I just wanted to get the most bang for my buck

post #9 of 16 Old 12-14-2009, 08:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

does the canon auto focus in hd video? i was looking at (broke now) the nikon that also shoots hd video but it doesnt auto focus in hd video mode

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #10 of 16 Old 12-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramaniac View Post
I completely understand the "prime" lens thing, IMHO the 75-300mm is a "mulit tasker" while the 50mm is just that 50mm. No zoom, a fixed lens. If that's what you want, go for it! I feel like I have the ability of a 50mm packed into my 18-55.

I'm no pro, and I just wanted to get the most bang for my buck
What kind of environments are you going to be shooting? There is quite a bit of difference in the kit lens vs the 50mm f1.8. The quality of the 50mm is loads better and can handle low light situations more easily.
post #11 of 16 Old 12-14-2009, 09:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
does the canon auto focus in hd video? i was looking at (broke now) the nikon that also shoots hd video but it doesnt auto focus in hd video mode
Yes, if you activate in live view.
post #12 of 16 Old 12-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Wheeler

I have the T1i... Yes it auto focuses while shooting video. The higher end 5D Mark II did not auto focus while shooting video but it was also the first DSLR to shoot HD video.

I personally do not recommend getting kits. The lenses that come with kits are usually plastic crap lenses. I would buy the body separate and get yourself a good multi-purpose lens. With Canon, the high quality lenses are marked with a L, but these are usually more than $1000 each. Just try and find lenses that are made with a metal body.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Wheeler

I been looking at this camera or the Nikon D5000. Anyone use or try both and offer any thumbs up or down on both. Cost for both is within a few bucks and inlude the 18-55 plus 55-200 lenses.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain"

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting '...holy **** ....what a ride!'
post #14 of 16 Old 12-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Wheeler

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTJ View Post
What kind of environments are you going to be shooting? There is quite a bit of difference in the kit lens vs the 50mm f1.8. The quality of the 50mm is loads better and can handle low light situations more easily.
Any recommendations on a good website that assists the 'beginner' in understanding DSLR basics? (i.e.f1.8 etc)....

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain"

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting '...holy **** ....what a ride!'
post #15 of 16 Old 12-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Wheeler

post #16 of 16 Old 01-04-2010, 01:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochiim View Post

Thanks in advance
Some of these same users have replied the same good info to me last year for the same camera I believe. It's a decent setup for a beginner photographer from what I learned through research but would be lacking for an intermediate to advanced.

Personally I'd be happy with this particular camera, just want decent pics/quick vids, could care a less about becoming a photographer per say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode