Any campers here from NC/SC? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-14-2008, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Any campers here from NC/SC?

I'm fairly new to NC and I've been searching the net for camping areas around me. I prefer the primitive style of camping out in the middle of nowhere. All I'm finding are the places in parks where you have to follow rules like "no alcohol". I like to crack open a beer while sitting in front of the camp fire. Back in PA, we used to camp along the Allegheny river in the northern part of the sate. It was nothing more than a few clearings along the river in a remote area. I'd like to find something like that around here, but unfortunately, those types of places can be found by "word of mouth" only. Anybody familiar with any "non park" camping areas like that around here?

'07 Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Granite Guru

No but I will say this for the state parks in SC (the ones I have been to) as long as you are not noisy or a problem they don't say anything to you about having a beer in your campsite regardless of the regs. Most people use a coozie for the beer. I have even seen folks break out a bottle and pour mixed drinks. As long as no one complains you will be fine. The behaviour that gets you in trouble is the loud noises and music that is usually associated with the beer and fire that a lot of rude people who fail to realize it is a campground with other people do.

All who wander are Jeep drivers.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-15-2008, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Yea, I get the "don't draw attention" and you'll be fine part. I've personally never had a problem while camping and we're the type of people who leave a campsite and you could never tell we were there. I just prefer to not have strangers 50 yards away or whatever. Kinda defeats that "getting away from it all" feeling that I like to have while camping. Oh well, I'm getting the itch to go so maybe I'll try one of the camping areas up in Pisgah NF. Thanks for the response.

'07 Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-16-2008, 07:18 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
Yea, I get the "don't draw attention" and you'll be fine part. I've personally never had a problem while camping and we're the type of people who leave a campsite and you could never tell we were there. I just prefer to not have strangers 50 yards away or whatever. Kinda defeats that "getting away from it all" feeling that I like to have while camping. Oh well, I'm getting the itch to go so maybe I'll try one of the camping areas up in Pisgah NF. Thanks for the response.
Yeah I kind of like getting away from everyone myself. Growing up it was easy they allowed you to camp in more places as long as it was public land. What happened is people started trashing places and they regulated it back. Also you have more people getting outdoors now than then too. I used to be able to go up to the river and find a sandbar to camp the weekend and see few if any other people/boaters. Now on any given weekend there is a flotilla of kayaks and jet skis everywhere. I don't mind the kayakers mostly except some of them will pull up the the same sandbar you have set up camp on and get out to look around. Kind of rude if you ask me.

All who wander are Jeep drivers.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-31-2008, 03:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutongs45 View Post
  Little Tommy (who was Jewish) was doing very badly in math. His parents had tried everything: tutors, etc., they tried everything they could think of. Finally, in a last ditch effort, they took Tommy down and enrolled him in the local Catholic school. After the first day, little Tommy came home with a very serious look on his face. He didn't even kiss his mother hello. Instead, he went to his room and started studying.   Books and papers were spread out all over the room and little Tommy was hard at work. His mother was amazed. She called him down to dinner and to her shock, the minute he was done he marched back to his room without a word and in no time he was back hitting the books as hard as before.   This went on for some time, day after day while the mother tried to understand what made all the difference. Finally, little Tommy brought home his report card. He quietly laid it on the table and went up to his room and hit the books. With great trepidation, his Mom looked at it and to her surprise, little Tommy got an A in math.   She could no longer hold her curiosity. She went to his room and said: "Son, what was it? Was it the nuns?" Little Tommy looked at her and shook his head, no. "Well, then," she replied, "was it the books, the discipline, the structure, the uniforms? WHAT was it?"  Little Tommy looked at her and said, "Well, on the first day of school, when I saw that guy nailed to the plus sign, I knew they weren't fooling around.cheap wow power leveling (World of warcraft Power Leveling):buy WoW Power Leveling, cheap world of warcraft power leveling , 1-80 level wow Power Leveling,maple story mesos, wedding invitations

Another spam BOT...WTF

Dedicating the next four years to throwing the bum(s) out!

The One Constant in an Ever Declining Civilization...Me!

Putting the SWAT Back in Conservative Values
post #6 of 14 Old 10-31-2008, 03:04 PM
JKO Addict!

I tend to shy away from the "lost in the wilderness" style of camping...I camp on the beaches of the OBX...even in the winter....nothing like a beautifull sunrise in the AM while on a beach..BTW, I have yet to be bothered by the "Rangers"...yes, it's all about keeping a low profile.

Dedicating the next four years to throwing the bum(s) out!

The One Constant in an Ever Declining Civilization...Me!

Putting the SWAT Back in Conservative Values
post #7 of 14 Old 11-24-2008, 02:51 PM
Wheeler

We are also new to the area! We got out and tried to camp over at the Pisgah NF one of the last holiday weekends and ended up tooking for a suitable spot to camp for a few hours before having to actually just camp at a camp ground, which is not my choise ever.

There are some really good wilderness sites but you have to get there early apprently!

It was also the first dry run trying to camp with my 18 month old daughter, she must have been 16months old at the time. That went ok... She needs her own air matress! I think I am in for a world of hurt in the long run!

Has anyone ever camped out UWharrie before? We have been out there wheeling for the day and been out on the boat on Badin but never camped.

Have you fished in the area?

RJ Lynn
post #8 of 14 Old 11-26-2008, 09:01 AM
Granite Guru

Primitive camping is allowed at Uwharrie, and on the busy weekends, every trail intersection has a group camping there. Right after I bought the jeep, my wife and spent a Saturday exploring Uwharrie, and hit the park from the south side (24/27, turn north at the BP) instead of the north (49 to 109, Eldorado), away from the OHV trails. We found a couple dirt roads that had some spots where people had been camping before but were pretty remote. We didn't see any other vehicles down there for quite a while, and it was gravel roads rather than OHV trails.

There is a LOT of hunting out there during deer season, so camping near the trails is probably a bit safer than going too remote. Its relatively small for a national forest (50,000 acres) so you aren't really ever going to be too far from people.

There is also a nice campground at Uwharrie, but the usual alcohol rules apply.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Wheeler

Ahh camping in a heavily Hunted area could be interesting, in not a fun way!

Where are some good spots in the SC area?

I am also trying to fins some good spots to go wade fishing this weekend with my Father in Law. Trout, smallies or anything!

RJ Lynn
post #10 of 14 Old 09-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to VaRUbiJK

Your not to far away from Va up 77 and there is TONS of primitive camping in the border counties of VA/NC. usually don;t have to worry about any trouble if you want to have a cold one,, just don't drive
post #11 of 14 Old 09-14-2009, 08:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Are you looking for primitive car camping? If so youre unlikely to find anything legal.

but if you're into backpacking theres a ton of good primitive camping in NC.
As far as the alcohol thing, we just use solo cups.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #12 of 14 Old 09-14-2009, 09:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

cough "thread date" cough

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #13 of 14 Old 09-14-2009, 09:26 PM
JKO Addict!

AHAHAH didnt even look
at least it wasnt me that brought it back

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #14 of 14 Old 09-15-2009, 07:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

You can always camp on the trails at Uwharrie and nobody is going to mess with you..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode