Shotgun help - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 11-25-2009, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Shotgun help

I am a dumbass, i know.

So here it is, i leaned my Mossberg 835, 28" barrel 12 gauge against the tire on my truck and drove off. It looks like the barrel is straight but i don't really want to risk it, anyone have any good contacts for Mossberg parts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The best beer cooler in the world will always be the edge of your favorite river."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-25-2009, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Hey Hit, can you move this to guns and ammo, sorry!

"The best beer cooler in the world will always be the edge of your favorite river."
post #3 of 18 Old 11-25-2009, 02:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Dude! That sucks.

Why not get it straight from Mossberg?

http://www.mossberg.com/products/acc...section=access

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 11-25-2009, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post
Dude! That sucks.

Why not get it straight from Mossberg?

http://www.mossberg.com/products/acc...section=access

It is not available, all the websites i find they are out of stock

post #5 of 18 Old 11-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Granite Guru

bring it to your local gunsmith and have it checked. i have a 12 gauge remington that slides around the bed of my pickup all over the lease. doubt anything is wrong with it.

Tony Lopes
2008 Black Rubicon Unlimited
4" superlift, 35/14.50/17 Pitbull Rockers on 17x9 black soft 8's, Riddler rear diff. cover, Superior chromoly axles rear
texasjeepowners.com
tx4wd.org
post #6 of 18 Old 11-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Granite Guru

if the barrel comes off and reconnects without a problem, you should be fine. Shotguns are designed to take abuse, and if it only fell over you shouldn't have any problems. Take it to a range, or depending on where you live, take it out back and shoot some bird shot and then gradually move up to buck shot, and notice the pattern. If the pattern is messed up then you might have a problem, if not you should be good to go.
PS- Mossbergs are one helluva shotgun. I shoot a Benelli Nova, and I have dropped mine from the tree stand and it still shoots just fine.
post #7 of 18 Old 11-26-2009, 08:00 PM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to FHMan1905

If it just fell you are good to go!! I have a benelli that has been through hell (Arkansas) and back, several times over. Gets wet and muddy and dropped and banged around for at least 60 days with no cleaning or maintenance during duck season and never misfires or shows signs of damage! Oh yeah it ran over by a 3/4 ton dodge cummins once too!!

2007 Sahara Unlimited
4" Lift, 35" KM2's, Soft 8's, 4" HIDx windshield mounted, Finishlinewest rocksliders and 4.0 bumper, Bestop Trektop!

post #8 of 18 Old 11-30-2009, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHMan1905 View Post
If it just fell you are good to go!! I have a benelli that has been through hell (Arkansas) and back, several times over. Gets wet and muddy and dropped and banged around for at least 60 days with no cleaning or maintenance during duck season and never misfires or shows signs of damage! Oh yeah it ran over by a 3/4 ton dodge cummins once too!!
That is exactly what happened, it got ran over by a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel! I am going to take it to the gun smith, they evidently have a way to measure it and see if it is bent

post #9 of 18 Old 11-30-2009, 03:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Why don't ya just go shoot it?
If youre used to your gun you will know if something it wrong.
If it shoots the same no reason to worry about it.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #10 of 18 Old 11-30-2009, 03:58 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by a plumber View Post
That is exactly what happened, it got ran over by a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel! I am going to take it to the gun smith, they evidently have a way to measure it and see if it is bent

haha!!...i would say it is ok...especially if it was on fairly flat ground...if it had been a hole or something without a lot of support under the whole gun i would be worried.....Does it feel unusual when you hold up to your shoulder....

2007 Sahara Unlimited
4" Lift, 35" KM2's, Soft 8's, 4" HIDx windshield mounted, Finishlinewest rocksliders and 4.0 bumper, Bestop Trektop!

post #11 of 18 Old 11-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
Why don't ya just go shoot it?
If youre used to your gun you will know if something it wrong.
If it shoots the same no reason to worry about it.

Bad idea, even though if there isn't a visible bend it probably isn't bent, but worst case scenario it could be cracked and if it was shot....BAD ENDING!!!!

2007 Sahara Unlimited

post #12 of 18 Old 11-30-2009, 07:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Bad idea, even though if there isn't a visible bend it probably isn't bent, but worst case scenario it could be cracked and if it was shot....BAD ENDING!!!!
What exactly would a cracked barrel do? Explode?
I dont really see that happening, I suppose it could though.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
post #13 of 18 Old 11-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Rock God

Yeah but that is truly a worst case scenario. Have you ever seen a modern muzzleloader shot using true old school blackpowder, bad!! If the crack was in the right spot the gas expansion and pressure could cause the crack to expand and ultimately explode, but that is the worse case. I would say the gun is perfectly fine, you would be suprised how much guns can take, like I said mine has survived Arkansas several times! Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
What exactly would a cracked barrel do? Explode?
I dont really see that happening, I suppose it could though.

2007 Sahara Unlimited

post #14 of 18 Old 11-30-2009, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

The other thing that concerns me is that it is ported, for my piece of mind i am going to have them look at it.

The funny thing is i sit there and stare at it and i swear it is fine, then i walk away for 5 minutes look at it, and swear it is bent. The mind is a scary tool!

post #15 of 18 Old 11-30-2009, 07:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Yeah but that is truly a worst case scenario. Have you ever seen a modern muzzleloader shot using true old school blackpowder, bad!! If the crack was in the right spot the gas expansion and pressure could cause the crack to expand and ultimately explode, but that is the worse case. I would say the gun is perfectly fine, you would be suprised how much guns can take, like I said mine has survived Arkansas several times! Haha
True true.
I have put many shotguns through hell. The only one i "take care of" is my competition trap gun that one gets cleaned after every outing and stays safely in its padded case at all times when not in use.

The 870 (fun gun) , the 1100 (doves when not using one of the over/unders) , the Benelli (ducks/geese) all have been beat to hell and back and still work like champs
The Benelli has been dropped in 5 feet of water 15 miles from nowhere in Stuttgart several times LOL

-Doc Holiday
post #16 of 18 Old 11-30-2009, 08:02 PM
Rock God

My benelli has been in that same mud!!! Haha. Hate that crap still in the recoil pad and the fine textures of the stock!!! Haha

2007 Sahara Unlimited

post #17 of 18 Old 11-30-2009, 08:03 PM
Rock God

Arkansas is just dirty, all there is to it!!

2007 Sahara Unlimited

post #18 of 18 Old 11-30-2009, 08:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
My benelli has been in that same mud!!! Haha. Hate that crap still in the recoil pad and the fine textures of the stock!!! Haha
Haha when you float your hat in 35 degree weather the last thought on your mind is "hold onto the gun!"

-Doc Holiday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode