Time to wet a line - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 05-03-2008, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Time to wet a line

Looking forward to get out and do some fly fishing. It puts me at peace like nothing else does. Fish on!
Attached Images

2008 JK "X" Unlimited-Redrock, hardtop, stock for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Wheeler

Nice one!
Thats one thing that Ive never been able to do, catch fish.
Maybe its because Ive just never been into it enough, to learn the tricks of the sport, and how to get them to bite

I thought of something a little different when I saw the title of this thread......
Here is my idea of wetting a line...

07' Graystone Unlimited Rubicon
Rubicon Express 4.5" Long Arm kit
35" BFG mud's and 17" Pro Comp wheels
Warn 9.5ti winch
Shrockworks stubby front bumper
Mopar rear bumper/tire carrier
Poly Performance rocker guards
Skid Row engine skid
and a whole lot more over priced stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old 05-03-2008, 09:03 PM
JKowners Vendor

Don't get me started, we spent last night planning the trips for this year!

Name:  IMG_0485.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  61.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0518.jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  43.9 KB

Name:  fish trip  9-30-07 033.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  51.1 KB

I can't wait, Grey reef in Wyoming next month, Green River in Utah in the fall and all of Colorado in between. In the Jeep of course!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The best beer cooler in the world will always be the edge of your favorite river."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 05-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Alec W

Iíve never been successful fly fishing and Iím more of a sit by a lake with power bait drinking beer type of fisherman. Iíd like to try fly fishing again if you guys wouldnít mind showing me how
post #5 of 25 Old 05-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Rock God

Love to fly fish and try to go after everything possible with a fly. Stripers are a blast along with Blues. For freshwater I like hitting Large mouth in my backyard...

Launched the boat this year 1 week after the ice melted... temp of the water was already 49 degrees and it's now around 59 to 62 depending on sun. So far I've caught one 4 lb bass and I'm hearing the other side of the lake 4 10 lb large outh have been caught.
post #6 of 25 Old 05-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
Iíve never been successful fly fishing and Iím more of a sit by a lake with power bait drinking beer type of fisherman. Iíd like to try fly fishing again if you guys wouldnít mind showing me how
sounds like we have the same idea of fishing. I have always wanted to try fly fishing though

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #7 of 25 Old 05-04-2008, 08:23 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
wheeling/fishing trip this summer? we need to plan a blow out trip for Colorado, how was Texas?

"The best beer cooler in the world will always be the edge of your favorite river."
post #8 of 25 Old 05-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Alec W

Quote:
Originally Posted by a plumber View Post
how was Texas?
Blew my t-case on the way

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showpo...5&postcount=10
post #9 of 25 Old 05-05-2008, 08:08 AM
Rock God

Ok, all you guys in here showing all these very big trout, now you better tell ever body that you guys bought them at the hatchery(Trout Farm) & run to the creek to take photos. thats an old trick......
Ok, just joking, very nice trout guys, I was an avid trout fishermen, some fly, some bait............ Now you'll find me wadding out in the middle of the "Susquehanna River" ripping Smallmouth. Here in Pa. we have the famous (Yellow Breeches) for some awesome fly fishing.
[URL="http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/yellowbreechescreek.html"]

Jim,
USMC 0311 - 1811 RVN (Dec 67 - Aug 69) DAV, DMZ "Leatherneck square"((To All The "November Charlie Foxtrot's" that think they know)) You Are Clueless
G27 , G26, & G22-C
post #10 of 25 Old 05-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Granite Guru

You guys with the nearby cold water fishing (with big fish) make me a little envious untill I realize...... in 4 hours I could be in the mountians trout fishing (little eastern streams) or offshore trolling for marlin. Of course in the time it takes to write this I could be out the back door and hooked into a largemouth in my pond.

That reminds me for those of you who do flyfish warmwater what would you recomend as the best fly for the money (I don't tie so I will have to purchase) for small largemouth? Mostly on the pond the best action is subsurface with plastic worms topping out however spinnerbaits come a close second. Of course I think they would hit anything but the topwater baits seem not to work as well on the pond as they do for me elsewhere. I have a 6wt flyrod I am fairly competent with and a 9wt I am trying to become better with. I have caught bream mostly but I have caught a few bass, a couple catfish (in a stocked pond), and several smallish trout in the mountians (one 22" fish but mostly small 12" ones). I figure since it is getting too easy to catch bass in the pond I would try the flyrod a bit more. I am rusty because it has been a year or so but I want to get back into shape to take a trip to the mountians (body as well as casting shape)

All who wander are Jeep drivers.
post #11 of 25 Old 05-05-2008, 12:51 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyInMyJeep View Post
You guys with the nearby cold water fishing (with big fish) make me a little envious untill I realize...... in 4 hours I could be in the mountians trout fishing (little eastern streams) or offshore trolling for marlin. Of course in the time it takes to write this I could be out the back door and hooked into a largemouth in my pond.

That reminds me for those of you who do flyfish warmwater what would you recomend as the best fly for the money (I don't tie so I will have to purchase) for small largemouth? Mostly on the pond the best action is subsurface with plastic worms topping out however spinnerbaits come a close second. Of course I think they would hit anything but the topwater baits seem not to work as well on the pond as they do for me elsewhere. I have a 6wt flyrod I am fairly competent with and a 9wt I am trying to become better with. I have caught bream mostly but I have caught a few bass, a couple catfish (in a stocked pond), and several smallish trout in the mountians (one 22" fish but mostly small 12" ones). I figure since it is getting too easy to catch bass in the pond I would try the flyrod a bit more. I am rusty because it has been a year or so but I want to get back into shape to take a trip to the mountians (body as well as casting shape)
try a wooley bugger in various colors and sizes, the also make some flies out of cork, the can be fished like a top water plug, bass are fun on a fly rod we used to go out after work to some of the ponds around here and slay them

post #12 of 25 Old 05-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Rock God

Well Dragon Fly patterns work and so do the many dry fly patterns. I've caught some on Bumble bee patterns, mouse and ant patterns. A very few on plug/popper patterns. The surface usually has the pain in the butt crappie's swarming.

I've used a few saltwater patterns and streamers. I don't have all the names in front of me and nymphs don't typically work.

This is all for bass of course.

It really has allot to do with the tippet material and the action you give the fly. Very thin tippet and stripping the line slowly works best. slowly pull in by hand then recast. Pond/Lake fishing has allot to do with smooth landings as the surface is not running like a stream and often is much like glass.
post #13 of 25 Old 05-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Granite Guru

I will pick up a few Wooly Buggers. I have had some luck on Muddler Minnows in other ponds but the bream there pick the bigger ones apart so I need to get a few more. The best part about this is no crappies and few bream so whatever I use will most likely pick up a bass. I still can go to the neighbors and catch bream as he has an abundance of them. If I ever find a 3wt rod I can afford I will pick it up just to dry fly that pond.

All who wander are Jeep drivers.
post #14 of 25 Old 05-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by a plumber View Post
wheeling/fishing trip this summer? we need to plan a blow out trip for Colorado, how was Texas?
Man, Fly fishin looks like fun. I will have to take you up on your offer to show me the ropes sometime this summer. In exchange I will show you some deep sea type fishin skillz from the Pacific Northwest, just not sure where we would do that here, lol
post #15 of 25 Old 05-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Alec W

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF_LOL View Post
Man, Fly fishin looks like fun. I will have to take you up on your offer to show me the ropes sometime this summer. In exchange I will show you some deep sea type fishin skillz from the Pacific Northwest, just not sure where we would do that here, lol
Deep sea is my type of fishing. Cast, drink beer, drink beer, drink beer, catch fish, cast, drink beerÖ. well you get the idea
post #16 of 25 Old 05-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

Quote:
Deep sea is my type of fishing. Cast, drink beer, drink beer, drink beer, catch fish, cast, drink beerÖ. well you get the idea
This exactly it! You must have done it before

Don't forget though, there is a skill to it! It takes lots of practice to not forget you have a line in the water!!
post #17 of 25 Old 08-16-2008, 03:46 PM
JKO Addict!

From the sea to the table.................

Attachment 1968

Attachment 1969

Dedicating the next four years to throwing the bum(s) out!

The One Constant in an Ever Declining Civilization...Me!

Putting the SWAT Back in Conservative Values

Last edited by Dustoff '68; 01-15-2009 at 12:39 PM.
post #18 of 25 Old 08-16-2008, 05:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Nice job Dustoff.

Thats some mouth watering sashimi right there.
post #19 of 25 Old 08-20-2008, 10:52 AM
JKO Addict!

From this bonito..........

Attachment 2004

to this muy bonitisimo.....yummyyyyy........

Attachment 2005

Last edited by Dustoff '68; 01-15-2009 at 12:39 PM.
post #20 of 25 Old 08-24-2008, 01:36 PM
FOC
Granite Guru

my contribution.

night fishing for specs using doa lures.

the dogfish get really big around here.

watching the sunrise.

post #21 of 25 Old 08-24-2008, 11:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Thumbs up

I'm a Rainbow Trout eating fool...it seems that all I ever eat when I go to Peru is trout...they're so plentifull and chemical and disease free...no fancy fishing rods needed to catch these puppies...

Attachment 2062

Attachment 2063

Attachment 2064

Attachment 2065

Last edited by Dustoff '68; 01-15-2009 at 12:40 PM.
post #22 of 25 Old 08-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Rock God

wow dusty, you have lots of pictures of plates of food. do you take pictures of all your food, or did you just happen to have lots of pictures of your fish dishes laying around?
post #23 of 25 Old 08-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Rock God

Thats Funny :}
post #24 of 25 Old 08-30-2008, 06:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnaught6 View Post
wow dusty, you have lots of pictures of plates of food. do you take pictures of all your food, or did you just happen to have lots of pictures of your fish dishes laying around?

Since my first Bachelor's degree was in Cultural Anthropology, I have always had a facination with food and culture; I am a seafood nut, and some of these fotos are taken by me or by family and friends...

Attachment 2105

Last edited by Dustoff '68; 01-15-2009 at 12:40 PM.
post #25 of 25 Old 11-29-2008, 01:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Ragin' Cajun Catfish for Two

hundred, that is...catfish anyone........

Last edited by Dustoff '68; 01-15-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode