BRRRR...It's Cold. Mountain Biking in Vermont - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 09-30-2009, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
BRRRR...It's Cold. Mountain Biking in Vermont

Spending a week in Woodstock, VT, with the family and have been mountain biking every morning.

Trails are great but the weather is not being very kind. Hit the trail at 7:45 this morning and it was 46 degrees. Got back to the trailhead at 9:15am and it was 47 degrees and raining. WTF!! Don't have pictures because not even the locals want to ride with me in this weather.

There are a TON of Jeeps on the roads up here but 99% of them are stock. Some of the driveways around here are more hardcore than the trails in Florida!! I live in the wrong state.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Rock God

Always wanted to check out that part of the country... especially Maine. Are the fall colors good there yet? In Wisconsin we're about 50-60% to peak colors. Still a lot of green, but some really nice reds, yellows and oranges happening. The trees in our yard are bare already due to a big wind/rain storm we had a couple days ago. It's very dry here too.
post #3 of 22 Old 09-30-2009, 12:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose512 View Post
Spending a week in Woodstock, VT, with the family and have been mountain biking every morning.

Trails are great but the weather is not being very kind. Hit the trail at 7:45 this morning and it was 46 degrees. Got back to the trailhead at 9:15am and it was 47 degrees and raining. WTF!! Don't have pictures because not even the locals want to ride with me in this weather.

There are a TON of Jeeps on the roads up here but 99% of them are stock. Some of the driveways around here are more hardcore than the trails in Florida!! I live in the wrong state.
Enjoy it (except for the rain)..... and remember how nice and cool it was when you get back to the humidity...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 09-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Rock God

Garage

Awwww is it a little chilly for you???

come on back in january to ride some snowmobile trails on your mt bike! On the right day the snow turn too concrete and we get some wicked fast downhills.

And just remember if it wasn't cold you'd be swattin mosquitos like crazy.

Glad you made it up Vt has some excellent trails.

got Jeep got stuff, never enough of the right stuff tho

Am I in deep enough yet?
post #5 of 22 Old 09-30-2009, 03:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Not to rub it in but it is a perfect 78 on the back porch watching the kids swim.... and no skeeters right now!!!
post #6 of 22 Old 09-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Rock God

Man I need to get the bike back out and get some time away from the computer.

I love mountain biking when it's that cold. I usually stay warm once I hit the first uphill section. Much more enjoyable than in 100 degree weather...

JKOWNERS Member Discount Available at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Click the link to automatically apply the current offer!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow us on:

post #7 of 22 Old 09-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Rock God

Garage

Man we had some seriously Nice weather here in Fl today as well!!!

I Freakin' Love My JEEP!! Hey, you in the Hummer..

I Love and Miss You Brodude..RIP.
post #8 of 22 Old 09-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Garage

You phone no worky up there Moose?

All I get is your VM.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #9 of 22 Old 09-30-2009, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHJeep View Post
Always wanted to check out that part of the country... especially Maine. Are the fall colors good there yet?
Colors are about 50-60%. They are changing fast due to the recent rain but have a way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM Offroad View Post
Man I need to get the bike back out and get some time away from the computer.

I love mountain biking when it's that cold. I usually stay warm once I hit the first uphill section. Much more enjoyable than in 100 degree weather...
Me too. Tried to explain that to the wife who thinks I am crazy. Every trail around here starts with a steep climb and I am dripping sweat after 10 minutes. I have to ride hard because all my gear is short sleeve jerseys and shorts!! Beer tastes better here too for some reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
You phone no worky up there Moose?

All I get is your VM.
Not even close!! A half mile outside of town I loose all signal. My parents live another 5 miles beyond that and, if that wasn't enough, when you leave the "main" dirt road, their driveway is another mile, yes mile, of dirt road. Guess shoveling the driveway in the winter is not an option!!

I do have high speed internet! I will give you a call from a land line.
post #10 of 22 Old 09-30-2009, 05:55 PM
Granite Guru

man 35 was our high today it is snowing right now already a couple inches on the ground
post #11 of 22 Old 10-01-2009, 10:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Not even close!! A half mile outside of town I loose all signal. My parents live another 5 miles beyond that and, if that wasn't enough, when you leave the "main" dirt road, their driveway is another mile, yes mile, of dirt road. Guess shoveling the driveway in the winter is not an option!!

damn thats awesome, I want their house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #12 of 22 Old 10-01-2009, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Today's ride, 37 degrees when I started and 42 when I got back to the truck at 9:30. Rode to the top of Mt. Tom and then spent the rest of the ride on some amazing singletrack thru the woods. Saw a few deer in a clearing and a few miles later I scared something big, not sure what it was? Moose, horse, Sasquatch, will never know?? All I heard was the sound of heavy hooves running away. By the time I stopped to look it was gone.

Finally starting to get used to pacing myself on all these climbs and it is almost time to return to Florida. I am screwed when I get home and try to ride. 80 is going to feel like 110 to me!
post #13 of 22 Old 10-01-2009, 10:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I didnt think one Moose would scare another Moose in the woods

have you seen one of these yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #14 of 22 Old 10-02-2009, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have that picture hanging next to my desk at work.
post #15 of 22 Old 10-03-2009, 07:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

didn't realize you were gone. disregard my voicemail i left from last night. got everything squared away. enjoy your vaca drink some of the good stuff for me!

Quote:

LMAO @ the driveways! same thing in Maine. Vermont is beautiful country! You are definitely in the heart of some Jeep territory but like you said most are stock. Most of New England laws are strict on lifts and tires. Maine is something like "you cannot exceed 2 size up from your stock size" but i think this is where someone would benefit from the Rubicon Express lift kit from the dealer all set up before you take it home. then the build sheet states it

I'd be screwed if I moved back home to Maine. The beast would be a weekend warrior only and I have to buy something else. Would be funny to own the daily driver and make payments on a play toy. LOL!

Quote:

welcome to New England
you get a lot more Jeep waves up that way though.

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

Last edited by .:eMETAL:.; 10-03-2009 at 07:53 AM.
post #16 of 22 Old 10-03-2009, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I am sporting a rental Suburban so no Jeep waves for me.

Not sure what the laws are around here but I have yet to see any good modified Jeeps of any type. No joke, I see about 20-30 Jeeps on a daily basis and there are no mods. The occasional winch but nothing else. Saw a JK Unlimited today with a "IBJEEPN" tag but it was otherwise stock???

My dad is scheduled to take delivery of his 2010 Rubicon in a couple of weeks so I need to find out what is going on?
post #17 of 22 Old 10-04-2009, 06:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I am sporting a rental Suburban so no Jeep waves for me.

Not sure what the laws are around here but I have yet to see any good modified Jeeps of any type. No joke, I see about 20-30 Jeeps on a daily basis and there are no mods. The occasional winch but nothing else. Saw a JK Unlimited today with a "IBJEEPN" tag but it was otherwise stock???

My dad is scheduled to take delivery of his 2010 Rubicon in a couple of weeks so I need to find out what is going on?

yeah. sounds like VT is just as strict on their lift laws. NH on the other hand would be the choice of state if you wanted to live in New England and have a lifted vehicle. or use the rig as a trail rig only and trailer it. really sucks.

congrats to your dad!

this might help you out... not sure how often it's updated....

Vermont

For trucks and multipurpose vehicles, the allowable bumper-height increase for front bumpers and rear bumpers depends on the GVWR. For 4,500 pounds and under, it's 24 inches front and 26 inches rear. For 4,501 to 7,500, it's 27 and 29, and for 7,501 to 10,000, it's 28 and 31.

taken from http://www.800-923-jeep.com/techCorner/lift_laws.cfm

also matches at this website... http://www.ctuusa.com/Lift%20Laws.htm

this is Maine's!!!!
Maine
Headlights: Don't even think about going higher than 54 inches. However, keep in mind that the original suspension cannot be "disconnected", but don't let that stop you from bolting on heavy-duty shocks and overload springs. Other need-to-knows: Don't remove or disconnect the ABS, and the tires can be only two sizes larger than the manufacturer's recommendation. Spring-shackle extensions are also a no-no.

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

Last edited by .:eMETAL:.; 10-04-2009 at 06:57 AM.
post #18 of 22 Old 10-05-2009, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:. View Post
yeah. sounds like VT is just as strict on their lift laws. NH on the other hand would be the choice of state if you wanted to live in New England and have a lifted vehicle. or use the rig as a trail rig only and trailer it. really sucks.

congrats to your dad!

this might help you out... not sure how often it's updated....

Vermont

For trucks and multipurpose vehicles, the allowable bumper-height increase for front bumpers and rear bumpers depends on the GVWR. For 4,500 pounds and under, it's 24 inches front and 26 inches rear. For 4,501 to 7,500, it's 27 and 29, and for 7,501 to 10,000, it's 28 and 31.

taken from http://www.800-923-jeep.com/techCorner/lift_laws.cfm

also matches at this website... http://www.ctuusa.com/Lift%20Laws.htm

this is Maine's!!!!
Maine
Headlights: Don't even think about going higher than 54 inches. However, keep in mind that the original suspension cannot be "disconnected", but don't let that stop you from bolting on heavy-duty shocks and overload springs. Other need-to-knows: Don't remove or disconnect the ABS, and the tires can be only two sizes larger than the manufacturer's recommendation. Spring-shackle extensions are also a no-no.

Thanks E.

Florida has the same laws but when is the last time you saw a trooper pull out a measuring tape and measure?? Will have to consult the shops up there. Was planning to put 35's on the new addition but after my trip I am having second thoughts. I must have seen over a hundred Jeeps and NONE of them were modified, one JK had a winch and that was it. Crazy for how many Jeeps I saw.

Think I am going to start a new thread on the NorthEast section and get those guys feedback.
post #19 of 22 Old 10-05-2009, 03:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Thanks E.

Florida has the same laws but when is the last time you saw a trooper pull out a measuring tape and measure?? Will have to consult the shops up there. Was planning to put 35's on the new addition but after my trip I am having second thoughts. I must have seen over a hundred Jeeps and NONE of them were modified, one JK had a winch and that was it. Crazy for how many Jeeps I saw.

Think I am going to start a new thread on the NorthEast section and get those guys feedback.
that's a good idea.

post #20 of 22 Old 10-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Rock God

Garage

See the thing is new englanders don't fix something until it's broke.
Until those jeeps actually get stuck nobody is gonna buy tires, to get stuck you have to go off road, in vt that means your in somebody's cow field and they're sighting you in so put your body armour on the doors!!

got Jeep got stuff, never enough of the right stuff tho

Am I in deep enough yet?
post #21 of 22 Old 10-05-2009, 04:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nourlmt View Post
Until those jeeps actually get stuck nobody is gonna buy tires, to get stuck you have to go off road, in vt that means your in somebody's cow field and they're sighting you in so put your body armour on the doors!!
so true!!!!

post #22 of 22 Old 10-06-2009, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nourlmt View Post
Very funny and true....

Since I posted, I spoke to some NE locals and they enlightened me on law enforcement and the wheeling scene. Gave me a little history lesson that going back a few years there was a lot of offroad abuse going on and the law got really strict with trespassing and rig violations. Jump forward to today and they said that 99% of the law will leave you alone unless you are blatantly outside of the law or they pull you over for something else and you are a dick about it. Confirmed that most Jeeps in New England don't modify and that if I did see a Jeep with tires 33" or larger then they were a true wheeler. Did not think I (my dad) would get harassed for having 35's on the Unlimited.

They also told me that most of the good wheeling spots are on private property. Good to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode