Ideas For A New Road Bike - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 09-19-2013, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Ideas For A New Road Bike

Currently I have an old ass Ross that is just too slow for me and would like to upgrade. My budget is anything under 850 bucks. I need a 58cm frame if that helps. Does anyone have any ideas on a good kind to get??

Need advice or parts without all the bs. Call Marcus at River City Offroad
"Things are starting to come, what I like to call, together."
"Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Granite Guru

850 is going to be a little low for a good bike unless you go used. I spent about 1250 on a closeout for a carbon Jamis a couple of years ago with mid level components. We'll kick yourself later if you go cheap if you plan on riding a few times a week as the better bikes/components are worth it. I have both a road & MTB bike (Giant NSR2) and they are as addicting as the Jeep is for spending money on lol. I just got back to riding last month after not for almost a year, I'm turned 50 this summer and am down 18lbs (I ride about 100 miles a week) since getting back to riding and only been riding & eating better. Hope this helps.

RK 2.5MT w/ Fox remotes. Front Rubicon axle with Terraflex sleeves & upper C gussets & self made axle truss & skids. Rear Rubicon axles with self made skids. Stock 4:10 gears. 37x12.5x17 Nitto Trail Grapple on stock painted wheels. XRC8000Comp winch on stock stubby bumper. Smitty overhead console. Uniden CB w/ 105" whip. DiabloSport Trinity.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
post #3 of 10 Old 10-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Granite Guru

With that budget stick with used, not my style personally, or go with one of hte major manufacturers like giant or specialized.

Giant seems to get the most bang for the buck. Just remember the frame is more important on a road bike than a mountain bike. Components don't go through nearly the amount of abuse on the road as a mountain bike so lower level parts aren't as big a loss other than weight.

I would try and save up a little more and get a carbon fiber frame if at all possible. I went from an aluminum frame with carbon fork to a Carbon fiber frame and fork and holy crap, the difference was night and day. Made longer rides so much easier.

And why do you think your current bike is slow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-03-2013, 06:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Small bike shops will help you on the price. Look for a Felt F95, should be in your budget.

Components are important, so don't get anything super cheap. Get Shimano 105 at a minimum. You want smooth quick shifts and good brakes.

Steel frames are more forgiving than aluminum; aluminum does not absorb any road bumps. Titanium is the best for metal, CF for composite, but Ti lasts forever. Look for steel or Ti.

If you're a bigger guy, get 30 spokes or more per wheel. The 20 spokers are nice and lightweight, but may not hold up well if you're pushing 250 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-04-2013, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I found one a few days after my post. It's a 2013 Specialized Allez. $1000 bike for $600 on this website called City Grounds. That thing is sweet.

post #6 of 10 Old 10-04-2013, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post
With that budget stick with used, not my style personally, or go with one of hte major manufacturers like giant or specialized.

Giant seems to get the most bang for the buck. Just remember the frame is more important on a road bike than a mountain bike. Components don't go through nearly the amount of abuse on the road as a mountain bike so lower level parts aren't as big a loss other than weight.

I would try and save up a little more and get a carbon fiber frame if at all possible. I went from an aluminum frame with carbon fork to a Carbon fiber frame and fork and holy crap, the difference was night and day. Made longer rides so much easier.

And why do you think your current bike is slow?
Me and a buddy of mine were just goofing off and decided to race. He was on a diamondback mountain bike and I was on my Ross and was at top speed and was nowhere near keeping up with him. Not to mention the rides I have done for charity and with a local group, I have the slowest bike out there. If you could see the people in the local group, it would be pretty embarrassing lol.

post #7 of 10 Old 10-04-2013, 08:01 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

The bikes are highly more efficient the better the bike and components.... But

Keep in mind that the bike is only a part of it.. I only have a Scott s10 steel with carbon forks and chain stays. Paid 1100 used. I do a lot of rides, and am much faster and more efficient that a lot of guys riding with bikes that are two and three times the cost of my bike.

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #8 of 10 Old 10-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Granite Guru

Gearing is also a huge factor in overall speed but at the same time most riders are not maxing out there gearing unless they are going down a hill so really it boils down to the rider.

I know a guy who rides a fixed gear mountain bike and races and in particular 100 mile races. He comes in the top 10 overall pretty consistently.

Specialized Allez is a solid bike and was what i had before i upgraded. One thing to caution about buying online is putting it together as they don't come assembled most times. And fitting of a true road bike is a much more complicated and precise than a mountain bike. Each manufacturer measures their bikes differently and one bike may not fit you the same as another brand of the same size.

If you have trouble with fit don't hesitate to go to a bike shop but at the same time offer to pay them for a fitting. Nothing is worse than having someone get a deal online and then expect free service at a bike shop....well at least i sure didn't like it when i worked retail
post #9 of 10 Old 10-04-2013, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post
Gearing is also a huge factor in overall speed but at the same time most riders are not maxing out there gearing unless they are going down a hill so really it boils down to the rider.

I know a guy who rides a fixed gear mountain bike and races and in particular 100 mile races. He comes in the top 10 overall pretty consistently.

Specialized Allez is a solid bike and was what i had before i upgraded. One thing to caution about buying online is putting it together as they don't come assembled most times. And fitting of a true road bike is a much more complicated and precise than a mountain bike. Each manufacturer measures their bikes differently and one bike may not fit you the same as another brand of the same size.

If you have trouble with fit don't hesitate to go to a bike shop but at the same time offer to pay them for a fitting. Nothing is worse than having someone get a deal online and then expect free service at a bike shop....well at least i sure didn't like it when i worked retail
I had to get it shipped to a authorized Specialized dealer. Had to pay a $75 assembly fee. No big deal because with the bike, shipping, and the assembly fee, it was still better than any other deal online and the deal the local bike shop offered.

Once I picked it up, I rode it around the parking lot and it feels great. I still have 30 days to take it back up there for any reason.

post #10 of 10 Old 10-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmech777 View Post
I had to get it shipped to a authorized Specialized dealer. Had to pay a $75 assembly fee. No big deal because with the bike, shipping, and the assembly fee, it was still better than any other deal online and the deal the local bike shop offered.

Once I picked it up, I rode it around the parking lot and it feels great. I still have 30 days to take it back up there for any reason.
Awesome deal. I am always glad to see bike shops working together.

That $75 will be money well spent....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode