Headlight Shootout! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 146 Old 12-05-2012, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Headlight Shootout!

Headlight Shootout! Story and photos by Gil "usmcdoc" Fortin

We spend so much time and effort in improving our vehicles, everything from suspension and tires to full out drive train swaps, all the while ignoring the easy bolt on “high performance“ modifications that truly count. We will go and put bigger brakes and roll cage while being blissfully ignorant of true safety modifications. I will just cut through the fluff, we forget about our headlights. Come awn, headlights? Ya, headlights, you know those lights that you are required to have, the ones that get you to work every day, the ones that you forget about until one burns out and then you spend a half hour looking at the bulbs in the part store trying to justify if those $10 more a set are worth it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 146 Old 12-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Rock God

Garage

holy shit!! It's aliveeee!

'15 JKUR
post #3 of 146 Old 12-05-2012, 02:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Very nice job Gil

Alec Wallis, Owner |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| 303-918-6167

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
| 888-521-0170
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 146 Old 12-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Wheeler

Great job Doc! I was on the fence about pulling the trigger on some JW Speakers through Marcus, but after reading this....next week can't come soon enough.

Really appreciate your hard work.
post #5 of 146 Old 12-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to mrkeefer

thanks doc, excellent review. thank you or taking time to research this
post #6 of 146 Old 12-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Rock God

I love my Rebel lights. Best mod so far. I couldn't tell if my stock lights were on sometimes. Plus, my Jeep was a Rebel guinea pig so I got them for a REALLY great price. I have had them for about a year and have never gotten flack from any LEO about them.
post #7 of 146 Old 12-05-2012, 03:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Great write up!

I couldn't help but notice that in both low and hi beam mode, the trucklights put out the most ambient light. You can clearly see more of the driveway than with the other lights. I wonder if this is a result of the shape of the lense.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #8 of 146 Old 12-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Rock God

Garage

OMG... It exists...

Sent from your .....

JERSEY
CREW
Better to be Judged by 12 than to be Carried by 6...

post #9 of 146 Old 12-05-2012, 03:45 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Great work Doc ! Thanks for your hard work !

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #10 of 146 Old 12-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Rock God

Garage

Great work Doc!!!

Chuck
2009 JK Unlimited X, mostly stock with a K&N filter.
post #11 of 146 Old 12-05-2012, 03:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

First off Doc, great job and write up. Many thanks! Thank to those who participated although I have not read all of yours yet. And thanks to fawkers that bitched up a storm to get this posted finally.

I am glad I can buy J.W. Speaker direct. I have been really thinking about these. We have been using a lot of their other lights on my fire trucks and other vehicles that we build. Makes me feel a lot better now swapping out my headlights.

Now somebody shootout gear sets!
post #12 of 146 Old 12-05-2012, 04:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Just got myself some Truck Lites... I am happy with my purchase and the light output.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #13 of 146 Old 12-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Wheeler

Doc, thanks so much for all the work, killer write up.

Glad to see the HID replacements I bought and installed faired so well (though I think they were pretty misaligned in your test, (another negative i would add to the somewhat poor install instructions.) A good walk through explaining proper alignment and adjustment after install is a must. You can find em elsewhere, just would have been nice to be part of the supplied kit. Once I finally got mine aligned I couldn't be happier!
post #14 of 146 Old 12-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Rock God

Glad to see the 2 I was debating between both got favorable ratings. Now to decide, Rebel, or HIDprojector...

Aaron
2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #15 of 146 Old 12-05-2012, 07:32 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Awesome job Doc! You sure you don't want to trade a hundo and some Silverstars for the JW's!??

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #16 of 146 Old 12-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Wheeler

Awesome!!! Really appreciate all the hard work, time, and money that has gone into this.

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his". George S. Patton
post #17 of 146 Old 12-05-2012, 07:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee1669 View Post
Great write up!

I couldn't help but notice that in both low and hi beam mode, the trucklights put out the most ambient light. You can clearly see more of the driveway than with the other lights. I wonder if this is a result of the shape of the lense.
Don't let the pictures fool you the actual light measurements dont lie, the beamshots are always a little subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhowre View Post
Doc, thanks so much for all the work, killer write up.

Glad to see the HID replacements I bought and installed faired so well (though I think they were pretty misaligned in your test, (another negative i would add to the somewhat poor install instructions.) A good walk through explaining proper alignment and adjustment after install is a must. You can find em elsewhere, just would have been nice to be part of the supplied kit. Once I finally got mine aligned I couldn't be happier!
They were aligned per DOT requirements. Myself I would have aimed them out about 6-8 inches at 25' due to the good overlap they have. you can also do the same with the JW's for the same reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Awesome job Doc! You sure you don't want to trade a hundo and some Silverstars for the JW's!??
awwww I no longer have any factory housings to stick them in
post #18 of 146 Old 12-05-2012, 08:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks for all the work. Well done.
post #19 of 146 Old 12-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Granite Guru

this makes me feel better about ordering HIDprojector is the kit u used the extra light kit
post #20 of 146 Old 12-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Rock God

Garage

Sweeeet! Thanks for all the hard work Doc! Glad it was finally posted up I will say that on the graph there were a few headlights I'm definitely not surprised about which ones they were. There was a couple, like the Deltas, and Rebel's Hellfire kit, that I'm pretty surprised by. I never would have guessed that these two would have done as well as they did (especially considering the price). I thought I had my mind made up on what I was going to get but this has me rethinking things. I should also say that I currently have the Deltas (had them for almost 2 years now) and while they're definitely better than stock both in output and beam pattern, they leave more to be desired. On the other hand, for the price, I think they are well worth it especially after looking at your comparison.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #21 of 146 Old 12-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Rock God

Garage

Doc, I do have one question, what ballasts did you use for the HID Projector light? I believe he offers several variations including an AC or DC ballast and a 35 and 55 watt version. I believe this will make a difference on output so it would be nice to know so we have an idea of what the comparison was.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #22 of 146 Old 12-05-2012, 09:40 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
awwww I no longer have any factory housings to stick them in
I have two extra sets, I got you covered! I'll throw in a half eaten bag of teriyaki jerky and a set of sport shocks...

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #23 of 146 Old 12-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Granite Guru

Thanks Doc and all the testers!

So-Cal
Krew O.G.
RKDONKY (work in progress)
'11 JKU Rubicon, bright silver
post #24 of 146 Old 12-05-2012, 11:35 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post

They were aligned per DOT requirements. Myself I would have aimed them out about 6-8 inches at 25' due to the good overlap they have. you can also do the same with the JW's for the same reason
I Was actually referring to the fact that the beams don't appear to be on the same horizontal plane. When you show the shot of the beam pattern the driver beam seems to be horizontal, while the right hand beam seems rotated counterclockwise slighty. (but could just be the surface it's on?)

Ideally the horizontal cut offs would be perfectly in line and you wouldn't see that X. Again, it's one of my only criticisms of the lights, it was a total b*tch to get mine done perfectly. NOT a criticism of you! all the lights you had to do....sheesh. KILLER job!
post #25 of 146 Old 12-05-2012, 11:42 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Some headlight optics incorporate that slight upturn on the passenger or driver side (E code) to illuminate roadside signs and objects. That wasn't misalignment.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode