MC joints in Synergy arms? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 Old 04-26-2013, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

MC joints in Synergy arms?

I am currently looking into a long arm upgrade. While researching the synergy kit I noticed they use JJ. I also stumbled across the fact that Metal Cloak (MC) make JJ upgrades. Has anyone used the MC JJ up grades? Any clue if they work with the synergy JJ setup? I tried calling synergy but had no luck reaching a human. I currently have the MC mid arms and love the joints for durability, performance, ride, and ease of maintenance. The fact that the synergy arms are adjustable ON the vehicle would be fantastic. Combine the two and it looks like this setup is rapidly moving to the top of my list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 04-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgall View Post
I am currently looking into a long arm upgrade. While researching the synergy kit I noticed they use JJ. I also stumbled across the fact that Metal Cloak (MC) make JJ upgrades. Has anyone used the MC JJ up grades? Any clue if they work with the synergy JJ setup? I tried calling synergy but had no luck reaching a human. I currently have the MC mid arms and love the joints for durability, performance, ride, and ease of maintenance. The fact that the synergy arms are adjustable ON the vehicle would be fantastic. Combine the two and it looks like this setup is rapidly moving to the top of my list.
I can comment on the upgrade but between Jeep Beach and them moving their warehouse, I'd say the people at Poly are all busy doing work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 JKUR- 3 Inch Synergy Stage III Lift, PR44, 1310 Shafts, RROR Skids, 37" MTR's, Warn 9.5Ti, Bumpers, Sliders, OBA, Lights... bla bla bla
post #3 of 51 Old 04-26-2013, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Hmm, maybe I should have gone to Daytona this weekend after all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 Old 04-26-2013, 02:47 PM
JKO Addict!

They have a rebuild kit for the Currie Johnny joint, that is what synergy uses on their arms, I would double check with synergy but I am sure they are using the 2 5/8" joint. I doubt if you would notice much difference on the ride quality since you already have a clevite joint on the frame end of the synergy arm.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #5 of 51 Old 04-26-2013, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I would think the MC joint would take some of the shock and help prolong the life of the clevite. I tore my factory clevite joints up pretty fast wheeling so anything to prolong their live (or avoid them) is a good thing.
post #6 of 51 Old 04-26-2013, 03:48 PM
JKowners Vendor

I can tell you that they are using the 2.5" JJ in their arms on the adjustable side. The fixed side uses a Clevite bushing. Our 2.5" JJ kit will work in the joint that they use. The downfall is that you will only have an articulating joint on one end of the arm.

http://www.metalcloak.com/2-5-8-D-x2...ade-p/7350.htm

MetalCloak, It's Your Jeep, Only Better
Will (916)631-8071

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SLADE- View Post
Metalcloak claims to have the highest clearance flat fenders and their Duroflex joints appear to bridge the gap between stock clevite bushings and re-buildable joints making them a great option for daily drivers. Metalcloak's dual rate coils actually backup the available travel in their suspension instead of just making claims of "flex" and "max travel" only to provide short coils with little travel like some have done.
post #7 of 51 Old 04-26-2013, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Excellent! Thanks. Getting a quote on the synergy kit from a shop now. Hmm, need to get them to become a MC dealer now.
post #8 of 51 Old 04-26-2013, 04:15 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloaked willys View Post
The downfall is that you will only have an articulating joint on one end of the arm.
downfall?
post #9 of 51 Old 04-26-2013, 04:18 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon.l View Post
downfall?
Yeah, It puts added pressure on the axle brackets. Why wouldn't you want them on both ends?

MetalCloak, It's Your Jeep, Only Better
Will (916)631-8071

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SLADE- View Post
Metalcloak claims to have the highest clearance flat fenders and their Duroflex joints appear to bridge the gap between stock clevite bushings and re-buildable joints making them a great option for daily drivers. Metalcloak's dual rate coils actually backup the available travel in their suspension instead of just making claims of "flex" and "max travel" only to provide short coils with little travel like some have done.
post #10 of 51 Old 04-26-2013, 04:34 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloaked willys View Post
Yeah, It puts added pressure on the axle brackets. Why wouldn't you want them on both ends?
not saying your setup isnt nice, it def is, but the jj and "factory" clevite setup is tried and true and used in nearly all aftermarket arm setups and i havnt seen anyone having issues with not enough articulation due to restriction at the joints.
post #11 of 51 Old 04-26-2013, 10:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyWalker

Quote:
Interesting. You gonna go coilover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Did you just search for "gay" or "halo" and bump those threads?
post #12 of 51 Old 04-27-2013, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWalker View Post
Interesting. You gonna go coilover?
Most likely. I have poly 4.5 springs now and the front is noticably lower than the rear. While I do have spacers to put on the adjustability/tunability of coilovers in the front is very appealing. Looking at rebel's front coilover kit with AGM sliders. That should allow me to retain the teraflex speed bumps in the front even though I will have to work out how to handle holding the front bump in place. Probably gonna add a set screw to the jounce tube.
post #13 of 51 Old 04-27-2013, 06:19 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Try this...

[email protected]

He's a sales manager
post #14 of 51 Old 04-27-2013, 06:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Were running There 5.5" on our 2dr Rubi for the last four years no with no problems. Easy install once you get the stock mounts off.

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #15 of 51 Old 04-27-2013, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Since synergy is at jeep beach and I have been hitting teh bourbon... Anyone ever talked to synergy about custom work? I was thinking that the MC spuds and JJ rebuilds would be a pretty sweet setup. It would give misalignment at both ends and help take some stress off the control arm brackets. So is it the bourbon stirring my brain cells or does this seem logical? On a side note, Four Roses bourbon is pretty good.
post #16 of 51 Old 04-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Rock God

I asked about custom length arms when I order my stretch kit and they said no.
post #17 of 51 Old 04-28-2013, 07:04 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Since synergy is at jeep beach and I have been hitting teh bourbon... Anyone ever talked to synergy about custom work? I was thinking that the MC spuds and JJ rebuilds would be a pretty sweet setup. It would give misalignment at both ends and help take some stress off the control arm brackets. So is it the bourbon stirring my brain cells or does this seem logical? On a side note, Four Roses bourbon is pretty good.
Four roses, Yum. Did you want to add a MC joint at the clevite joint end? I don't think that would be a problem, but would require cutting and welding. That clevite end can be cut off, a threaded plug could be adapted and the joint inserted. Are the lower front/rear poly arms straight? http://www.teraflex.biz/builders-rod...using-nub.html

Last edited by GatorJeeper; 04-28-2013 at 07:12 AM.
post #18 of 51 Old 04-28-2013, 07:07 AM
JKO Addict!

If you are going to do that much work just make your own arms. Kinda silly buying new arms and cutting them up.

Some build info here:

post #19 of 51 Old 04-28-2013, 07:29 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
If you are going to do that much work just make your own arms. Kinda silly buying new arms and cutting them up.
Yup, I was thinking he had the arms allready. Bgall, you could get DOM tubing cut to length, and then use a left hand and right hand threaded end, and you could still adjust with it on the vehicle without the synergy insert gizmo.

Last edited by GatorJeeper; 04-28-2013 at 07:47 AM.
post #20 of 51 Old 04-28-2013, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

What I was hoping is that synergy could put the MC ends on in lieu of the clevite end. I know it would have to be during a production run if they even are willing. While the idea of making my own long arms sounds like a fun project, the reality is that I don't have the time or facilities to do it. Not until I get my old vette and firebird sold at least.
post #21 of 51 Old 04-28-2013, 11:28 AM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
What I was hoping is that synergy could put the MC ends on in lieu of the clevite end. I know it would have to be during a production run if they even are willing. While the idea of making my own long arms sounds like a fun project, the reality is that I don't have the time or facilities to do it. Not until I get my old vette and firebird sold at least.
Is the threaded end of the joint the same size (JJ and MC)? If so... you are done, swap in whatever you want.

I also x2 the making your own arms. It is really a trivial thing to accomplish and will allow you to get the right sized arms. I'd guess, if you don't own a welder, it would cost you about one hour of labor... bring him the DOM for extra savings (no double markup).
post #22 of 51 Old 04-28-2013, 05:34 PM
JKO Addict!

I believe the synergy uses a left hand thread in their double adjuster and metal cloak ends are all right hand threads. You would have to use the jj rebuild kit from metal cloak to get it in the axle end.

Some build info here:

post #23 of 51 Old 04-28-2013, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Yep, axle end is not a problem. Just have to replace the guts of the JJ. It is the frame end where I was thinking it would be nice to have the MC joints.
post #24 of 51 Old 04-29-2013, 08:58 AM
Rock God

I run Synergy adjusters and left handed MC Joints on the rear. Lefts are available....I think short special order wait.

On the front, Synergy doesn't parallel their joints, which allows them to run their adjusters on the front. This design and the value of their adjusters has been discussed in the MC Build Thread.

Cutting a Clevite off and welding a MC barrel on is relatively simple and will definitely help with binding joints, or when replacing worn joints. Though I am with others, hacking up new arms, I would question.

And most importantly, never listen to Damon in Mod Tech, he is the resident special child on anything not having to do with billet fuel doors and interior trim kits.

In some mall crawling JK world, Clevites (OEM) never fail. So Damon (today's official thread crapper), read the title of the thread - if you do not have tech to add to Mod Tech, or you lack the experience to provide an educated opinion, DOC told me to tell you to STFU.

So Forrest Gump: STFU.
post #25 of 51 Old 04-29-2013, 09:31 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon.l View Post
not saying your setup isnt nice, it def is, but the jj and "factory" clevite setup is tried and true and used in nearly all aftermarket arm setups and i havnt seen anyone having issues with not enough articulation due to restriction at the joints.
Tried and true? More like tried and fail. Clevite bushings aren't what you want when you leave the pavement. The downfalls of standard Clevite bushings have been well-documented.

The Synergy arms use standard 2.5" Currie barrels so yes, of course the MC Duroflex insert made for that application will work. But you've still got the Clevite bushing on one end. Sell the arms and either build or buy new ones so that you can take advantage of having Duroflex bushings on all ends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode