who has a ripp sc and auto tranny? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 Old 04-24-2013, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

who has a ripp sc and auto tranny?

i just got my ripp sc and long tube headers installed yesterday, i love the power and in town driving is awsome, the only thing i find strange and mabey its normal is that when i give it the gas at about 65 t0 70 mph it dosent seen to accelerate so i have to stand on the throttle untill it picks up speed, so then it downshifts and starts pulling hard and zips right pass the speed i want to be at. So then i let off the gas to slow it back down to the speed that i want to be and it shifts up and losses acceleration, so i have to step on it again ... its just kinda weird does anyone else do this too? it also does it going slow on a small incline it shifts down then takes off like crazy so i let off and it slows down to much.. im being easy on the throttle it just seems like all or nothing with the throtte sometimes, i hope this made since.

2010 rubicon. 3.5 rk lift. 37,s. 6.2 Ls3.

Last edited by greenenvey; 04-24-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 04-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Wheeler

How many miles did you get put on it yesterday?

The computer takes a few miles to learn it's new program so it could be nothing if you only drove it briefly.
post #3 of 56 Old 04-24-2013, 11:38 AM
Rock God

ive had a ripp on a auto and manual.. i know what you mean .. sometimes it feels like it is in the wrong gear.. have you adjusted the throttle response setting.. that helped for me. but sometimes you just have to make it down shift for it to kick in.. but you will love the ripp.. and "75' forty" was right.. it takes alittle while for the computer to "learn" the new setup .

Last edited by block; 04-24-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 Old 04-24-2013, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

ive put 100 miles on it, yeah it just feels like its shifting back and forth back and forth, trying to stay at the speed i want it to.

post #5 of 56 Old 04-24-2013, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by block View Post
ive had a ripp on a auto and manual.. i know what you mean .. sometimes it feels like it is in the wrong gear.. have you adjusted the throttle response setting.. that helped for me. but sometimes you just have to make it down shift for it to kick in.. but you will love the ripp.. and "75' forty" was right.. it takes alittle while for the computer to "learn" the new setup .
What was it you did to your throttle response?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

post #6 of 56 Old 04-24-2013, 12:27 PM
Rock God

i used the intune to adjust it to i believe 10 just made it more sensitive.. so i didn't have to push the pedal down as far made it feel more responsive.
post #7 of 56 Old 04-24-2013, 12:41 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Do you have the latest tune from Diablo or RIPP? They might have an answer for that if you're having issues.
post #8 of 56 Old 04-24-2013, 04:38 PM
Wheeler

I could not get a good response from Ripp or Diablo regarding the "surging" problem, esp in cruise control. I am now using a custom tune from RPMExtreme
that seems to correct almost all of the surging for my manual tranny....still experimenting with the people there on it. Tuner is Jon Schaefer, and I believe he works directly with the CMR language that lets them adjust more than the inTune unit.

NRA Lifetime member
It takes a special kind of stupid to think criminals will follow gun laws...

08 JK Red - NV241OR Tcase, Ripp GenII, 3"OME lift and Nitrocharger shocks, JKS F/R adj trackbars, Rockrawler UF adj CAs, Teraflex UR adj CAs, Ruggid Ridge Modular front bumper with M8000, Olympic rock rails and rear bumper, BFG KMs
post #9 of 56 Old 04-24-2013, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
Do you have the latest tune from Diablo or RIPP? They might have an answer for that if you're having issues.
as far as i know i do, ripp sent me a custom tune to download to my diablo trinity.. ripp sid put some more miles on it too so the cumputer will learn it.

post #10 of 56 Old 04-24-2013, 04:56 PM
Slow and Low

Do you have the altitude pulley? The standard pulley is fairly conservative. Maybe a little more boost will keep it in gear longer. Just a thought. I'm sure Ross will recommend it if you don't already have it.
post #11 of 56 Old 04-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Rock God

Have you adjusted the BOV screw? You want to hear a little bit of whistle all the time. If it is adjusted too tightly (fewer threads showing), it could damage the engine.

2008 JK Rubi on big tires and stuff, RIPP supercharger.
Various dents and scratches.
post #12 of 56 Old 04-24-2013, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Have you adjusted the BOV screw? You want to hear a little bit of whistle all the time. If it is adjusted too tightly (fewer threads showing), it could damage the engine.
I havent adjusted the bov a well known shop did the install for me so im assumming its correct,.when i really get on the has hard and then let off it makes a strange sound unlike any other bov ive heard, kinda like whewwhewwhew, instead of whosh like my ecoboost in my ford does is.that norma

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

post #13 of 56 Old 04-24-2013, 06:19 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenenvey View Post
I havent adjusted the bov a well known shop did the install for me so im assumming its correct,.when i really get on the has hard and then let off it makes a strange sound unlike any other bov ive heard, kinda like whewwhewwhew, instead of whosh like my ecoboost in my ford does is.that norma

im guessing you have the newer BOV black plastic one (bosch) that makes a different sound and is not adjustable..
post #14 of 56 Old 04-24-2013, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yes mine is black plastic

post #15 of 56 Old 04-25-2013, 05:22 AM
AOR
Granite Guru

What size tires and what gear ratio?
post #16 of 56 Old 04-25-2013, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOR View Post
What size tires and what gear ratio?
37,s and 538,s

post #17 of 56 Old 04-25-2013, 10:00 AM
AOR
Granite Guru

your tire size and ratio are a good match. My biggest complaint with the 42rle trans is the Jeep seems to have a flat spot in power in the 50-65 mph range and on the the highway 50 mph is to slow and anything over 60 is speeding is most areas where I live
I have a Ripp and an auto trans. I am not sure if this common complaint is what you are trying to figure out.
I try to avoid driving the Jeep on the highway for this reason. I have heard many Jeep owners complain about the ratios in the 42rle but when you think about it's history it's a minivan transmission designed for a 4000 lbs somewhat aerodynamic vehicle with 3.73 gears and 205 tires
something else that should be done if not already done is the pcm needs to know what tire size and gear ratio you have so it can control the transmission shifting points.
you may want to double check to make sure it's set properly with the diablo programmer
post #18 of 56 Old 04-25-2013, 12:23 PM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

I have a RIPP and an auto and i know exactly what you're talking about.

Don't get me wrong, RIPP is much much better than running stock but it "lacks" the "umph" i wish it had.

I too agree with it being the shitty ass transmission they stuck us with.

35's and 4:10's.. i know it needs regearing but i'm fixing to take care of all of my HP, Tranny, no powah problems...

Good luck!
post #19 of 56 Old 04-25-2013, 05:56 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post
I have a RIPP and an auto and i know exactly what you're talking about.

Don't get me wrong, RIPP is much much better than running stock but it "lacks" the "umph" i wish it had.

I too agree with it being the shitty ass transmission they stuck us with.

35's and 4:10's.. i know it needs regearing but i'm fixing to take care of all of my HP, Tranny, no powah problems...

Good luck!
Sorry for the hijack, but I've been considering either a SC or a V8 swap in my 2012 JKU after I see the performance numbers that are coming out later this year from the SC companies like RIPP.

Is lacking "umph" as you put it, low end torque that is missing? I know I shouldn't be complaining because I have a Pentastar, but I want more power to push my heavy JKU. I think that I can get HP numbers similar to a small V8 and save some money with a SC install, but I'm not sure if the oomph for the torque will "feel" the same or even be in the same league as a V8. I guess I'm trying to find the best long term bang for my money.
post #20 of 56 Old 04-26-2013, 06:29 AM
AOR
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo9roadking View Post
Sorry for the hijack, but I've been considering either a SC or a V8 swap in my 2012 JKU after I see the performance numbers that are coming out later this year from the SC companies like RIPP.

Is lacking "umph" as you put it, low end torque that is missing? I know I shouldn't be complaining because I have a Pentastar, but I want more power to push my heavy JKU. I think that I can get HP numbers similar to a small V8 and save some money with a SC install, but I'm not sure if the oomph for the torque will "feel" the same or even be in the same league as a V8. I guess I'm trying to find the best long term bang for my money.
The nice thing about the 2012+ JK's is that they have the 545 auto trans which fills the gaps in the transmission ratios that people complain about with the 42rle

The Ripp did wake up the Jeep and make the Jeep more enjoyable to drive for sure but in my opinion I think it's low RPM's on the highway combined with the crappy gear ratios of the 42RLE combined with a heavy brick shaped vehicle that causes the flat spot as I call it.

I bet the 2012+ Jeeps will be really nice with a Supercharger

I forget how much the Ripp improves performance until I drive other peoples JK's without a supercharger
post #21 of 56 Old 04-26-2013, 08:53 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenenvey View Post

The RIPP BOV makes a high-pitched whistle "whewwhewwhew" sound instead of a "whosh" sound. That is normal.

Rice rockets still recognize that whistle noise as a supercharger. Had a Civic at a traffic light revving his engine like he wanted to race, until I revved my RIPP SC...he decided otherwise after that. LOL!

2008 JK Rubi on big tires and stuff, RIPP supercharger.
Various dents and scratches.
post #22 of 56 Old 04-26-2013, 09:17 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo9roadking View Post

Just remember centrifugal blowers build power as they rev.... yes it does help at lower rpm trq level then stock. But the power doesn't pour on till things really get moving.

Sent with Tapatalk2 while watching chicks get naked.

2012 Wrangler Unlimted Sahara SOLD
2012 Toyota 4runner Trail Edition
2in lift,KDSS, 285/70/17 Terragrapplers.
2010 Mustang GT
5spd, glass roof..loaded
SLP Loudmouth axle backs and Roush CAI..wifeys ride.

Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda
With aerodynamics like a barn and the rolling resistance of a tank can only do so well.
post #23 of 56 Old 04-26-2013, 09:49 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOR View Post
The nice thing about the 2012+ JK's is that they have the 545 auto trans which fills the gaps in the transmission ratios that people complain about with the 42rle

The Ripp did wake up the Jeep and make the Jeep more enjoyable to drive for sure but in my opinion I think it's low RPM's on the highway combined with the crappy gear ratios of the 42RLE combined with a heavy brick shaped vehicle that causes the flat spot as I call it.

I bet the 2012+ Jeeps will be really nice with a Supercharger

I forget how much the Ripp improves performance until I drive other peoples JK's without a supercharger
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThwopKing View Post
Just remember centrifugal blowers build power as they rev.... yes it does help at lower rpm trq level then stock. But the power doesn't pour on till things really get moving.

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll have to wait and see some dyno numbers when the compatible SC's are available. I may have to suck it up and do the added expense of a V8 swap to get the low end torque.
post #24 of 56 Old 04-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Rock God

I am pleased with my SC but I will be swapping in an LS when my engine finally dies. Getting the most out of a SC on the 3.8 is all in the tuning.

LS3 2007 JKU X - Red Rock, 2012 JKU Rubicon - Deep Cherry Red, 2001 TJ - Black
post #25 of 56 Old 04-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Granite Guru

I wish KB, tvs or whipple made a roots blower for the 3.8 and 3.6 lol

2012 Wrangler Unlimted Sahara SOLD
2012 Toyota 4runner Trail Edition
2in lift,KDSS, 285/70/17 Terragrapplers.
2010 Mustang GT
5spd, glass roof..loaded
SLP Loudmouth axle backs and Roush CAI..wifeys ride.

Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda
With aerodynamics like a barn and the rolling resistance of a tank can only do so well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode