Front driveshaft hitting trans - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 04-23-2013, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Front driveshaft hitting trans

For a long time I've noticed a solid "clunk-clunk" coming from underneath and while we were in Moab last weekend I finally figured out it was the front shaft (Tom Woods) hitting the side of the trans at the pan. ' Front axle is centered on the money, bump stop is set right etc. Not a good idea to just ignore it. Only fixes I can think of would be either a smaller diameter shaft, or maybe cheating the front axle to the driver's side a bit. Anyone else encountered this with an aftermarket shaft?

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-23-2013, 07:43 PM
JKO Addict!

What do your track bar mounts look like? Raised at the axle?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 Old 04-23-2013, 07:53 PM
Rock God

Hmm if the trackbar is tight and there is no real axle movement, hypothetically, are you sure axle is centered? when does the axle hit? when the driverside is flexed down? or just when driving and hitting bumps?
cant see it hitting if the passenger side is flexed down.

how close is the driveshaft to the transmision?

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

Last edited by JeepUpKeep37s; 04-23-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 04-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Wheeler

This is happening at full stuff I imagine? With the axle stuffed the TB will pull it some towards the trans...the only think I can think is more bumpstop or adjust your TB. How bad is it really hitting? Solid contact or just barely?
post #5 of 26 Old 04-23-2013, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Here's a shot of the shaft & trans. Sorry it's flipped, tried to rotate it on Photobucket but it comes out the other way over here.

It hits one of the trans pan bolt bosses & the trans pan lip. Odd that I'll notice it on slow transitions where the rig leans to drivers, not so much on full driver side stuff. Axle's centered to within a bit less than 1/16" side to side.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.

Last edited by SoK66; 04-23-2013 at 08:20 PM.
post #6 of 26 Old 04-23-2013, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
What do your track bar mounts look like? Raised at the axle?
Has the Tera frame side drop & cross brace with Tera track bar. Seems like it has plenty of clearance when sitting on the flat & level.

post #7 of 26 Old 04-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Rock God

that is not hitting the transmission I feel it is hitting the skid at full droop. am I right?

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

post #8 of 26 Old 04-23-2013, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

No, it's hitting the trans at the pan mounting boss. You can see where it's bent the pan lip. Plenty of clearance at the skid.

post #9 of 26 Old 04-23-2013, 09:27 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
No, it's hitting the trans at the pan mounting boss. You can see where it's bent the pan lip. Plenty of clearance at the skid.
okay. I had the same problem with 12" travel shocks but I believe you. then cheat a 1/16 of inch to the drivers side with the axle. the only other thing you could do is do the draglink flip and relocation of trackbar so it is more level. are you noticing the passenger side shock hitting the frame at full flex? that is another thing to watch for.

post #10 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 12:32 AM
Research, bro!

Garage

I was just going to post this exact same thing today - but see you beat me to it. This is mine. Wood 1310 shaft. Trackbar raised at the axle. Fox 12" shocks, Poly 4.5" springs. 3" bumpstop w/ flat fenders. Axle dead center.

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde

A proud part of the Cutts!
post #11 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 12:36 AM
Research, bro!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphalt assault View Post
...are you noticing the passenger side shock hitting the frame at full flex? that is another thing to watch for.
Had that. Used Poly's lower shock mount relocation brackets to solve.

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde

A proud part of the Cutts!
post #12 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 01:10 AM
Rock God

My stock driveshaft hit my old transmission in the same place.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

"Cutts Crew" Member
"work hard play harder"

owner of the only 87 jk!
post #13 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 06:38 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

My coast DS does the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #14 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphalt assault View Post
okay. I had the same problem with 12" travel shocks but I believe you. then cheat a 1/16 of inch to the drivers side with the axle. the only other thing you could do is do the draglink flip and relocation of trackbar so it is more level. are you noticing the passenger side shock hitting the frame at full flex? that is another thing to watch for.
It has Tera's steering correction, Reids and Poly drag link / tie rod. It also has Poly's lower shock relocation brackets.

Looks like the fix is just to cheat the axle a bit to drivers. Anyone else done this?

post #15 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 07:22 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
It has Tera's steering correction, Reids and Poly drag link / tie rod. It also has Poly's lower shock relocation brackets.

Looks like the fix is just to cheat the axle a bit to drivers. Anyone else done this?
Well after seeing that picture of it i am glad i said i believe u! lol
Ok then looks like we have considered all other possibilities. Cheat over 1/32 maybe just enough to clear.

Maybe there is room for the aftermarket to correct this like an engine lift lol.

post #16 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 07:43 AM
Rock God

My stock shaft was hitting real bad. Hasn't been a problem since I swapped in a tatton 1310. Running stock track bar in Poly's raised mount and DL flip on 3 inches of lift. Putting in a Poly track bar this week though.

My pan was real beat up and I replaced it this winter with one of these and am real happy with it.

http://www.yourcovers.com/transpan_11044.php

2008 JKUR- 3 Inch Synergy Stage III Lift, PR44, 1310 Shafts, RROR Skids, 37" MTR's, Warn 9.5Ti, Bumpers, Sliders, OBA, Lights... bla bla bla
post #17 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 07:48 AM
Slow and Low

This is very common. Take an angle grinder with a soft disc and sand down the tranny boss and pan right to the bolt. Easy fix.
post #18 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 07:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniacal_rick View Post
the only think I can think is more bumpstop
I would try adding slightly more bump stop first before trying to move the axle.
post #19 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 08:00 AM
JKO Addict!

This is a pretty common thing. Most stock shafts get their boots ripped off pretty quickly once you lift the jeep over 3". With a 4" Currie lift and JJ's on all the CA's, my stock shaft hit the pan so bad that it ripped the seal loose everytime it flexed out (tranny seal). I installed a Tatton but it still hits pretty good. Have to cheat the front axle over toward driver side. You will probably end up going closer to 3/16-1/4" to successfully get the shaft to miss the pan completely.

I don't really know if there's a bad side effect of offsetting the front axle so much but so far I don't seem to notice anything bad. Most of the older Chevy 4x's I owned had offset front axles from the factory so it's not an uncommon thing.

The other option is to increase your bump stops up front to minimize the amount of stuff you get which keeps the shaft from being crammed into the pan.

Originally Posted by van7559
I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
post #20 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 08:01 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
This is very common. Take an angle grinder with a soft disc and sand down the tranny boss and pan right to the bolt. Easy fix.
I like that idea.

post #21 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks all, some good ideas to take away.

post #22 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 09:55 AM
Rock God

I'm hoping an LS and 6l80 will solve that problem with my Coast DS.
post #23 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 12:21 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Just watch for the trans pan leaking after hitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #24 of 26 Old 04-28-2013, 09:22 AM
Rock God

I had the same problem until i swapped in an Adams 2" drive shaft. I had a metric shit ton of up travel on mine too and I'm sure that contributed to the problem but i liked alot of up travel on my rig.

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #25 of 26 Old 04-28-2013, 11:36 AM
RIP Brad

Garage

Hey man... been running like this since almost day one. As soon as I swapped in an after market shaft, I was beating my tranny. At first it would weep a drop at a time.... very slowly, maybe would hit the ground every few days. Nothing seemed to help, but I did notice that after a month or two, the slow drop became seepage. If I clean it up really good, seepage will show very quickly, but seems to seal itself up fast and I get no drips.

I have considered doing something with it, but really.... it's not going to hamper the reliability of the rig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode