Any thoughts on what did this? (spark plug pics) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-21-2013, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Any thoughts on what did this? (spark plug pics)

After getting the P0300 code thrice in the last week (after pulling the negative terminal off the battery to reset it each time), I decided to swap my plugs. Total miles at time of change: 41,500 (exactly). The gaps are all over the place (comparing the 6 plugs) but I'm really curious about the one on the right in the top pic.. This particular plug was the middle cylinder on the passenger side. I've never pulled a plug this bad from any vehicle or motorcycle I've owned...

Apologies, I thought about documenting each plug from each cylinder, but I was standing on my bumper with the Jeep off-angle, in the woods when I made the swap. I can only say (with certainty) that the far right plug came from the middle cylinder on the passenger side:

Nasty:

Gnarly:

Profile of the "finger" (which is what I call it) looks like a duck who was shot sideways through the eyes:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JeepingGreen; 04-21-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Rock God

My guess the electrode was banged against the block as it was being installed.

LS3 2007 JKU X - Red Rock, 2012 JKU Rubicon - Deep Cherry Red, 2001 TJ - Black
post #3 of 11 Old 04-21-2013, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipewa View Post
Holy Toledo (literally) - these were the factory plugs.. Do you think the metal being all torn up was a result of the electrode being curled inwards, or do you think it may have been somewhat gnarled before installation?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-21-2013, 03:01 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepingGreen View Post
Holy Toledo (literally) - these were the factory plugs.. Do you think the metal being all torn up was a result of the electrode being curled inwards, or do you think it may have been somewhat gnarled before installation?
IMO probably due to the curved electrode. I'd be doing a compression check on that cylinder just to be safe.

LS3 2007 JKU X - Red Rock, 2012 JKU Rubicon - Deep Cherry Red, 2001 TJ - Black
post #5 of 11 Old 04-21-2013, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Well, needless to say, it runs MUCH better now - much smoother idle. I installed Bosch Platinum +4's.. Seems like the I'm getting better mileage now as well - which isn't a surprise, considering at least 1 cylinder wasn't firing some of the time...

post #6 of 11 Old 04-21-2013, 03:18 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipewa View Post
I agree. Your lucky nothing else happened. Great save.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

post #7 of 11 Old 04-21-2013, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphalt assault View Post
I agree. Your lucky nothing else happened. Great save.
That was my first thought once I saw it! If the "finger" broke off and fell down, things would be much worse! I regret not doing it much sooner.. I think if/when I get a new Jeep, I will quickly swap the OEM plugs.. Odds are that the vast, vast majority are fine but for $35 bucks and 30 minutes, I'd do it..

Last edited by JeepingGreen; 04-21-2013 at 03:36 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Wheeler

Pretty interesting! I'd at least pull the factory plugs and inspect them. After all, I think they only QC check something like every 500th vehicle... At least, that's the number I've heard by word of mouth.

-LSv

I miss my YJ.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-21-2013, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
Pretty interesting! I'd at least pull the factory plugs and inspect them. After all, I think they only QC check something like every 500th vehicle... At least, that's the number I've heard by word of mouth.
Well, that was my first thought.. Then I thought - well, I scraped my knuckles to the damn bone taking them out (passenger side was a bit of a pain) - why not put better plugs back in?

Seriously, though - it frightens and upsets me that not only was one plug majorly defective (whether it was the installation process or not) but if you look at the set, the gaps are all over the place - it looks like they were all bounced off the ground a few times.. Really upsetting to think about. How much fuel $$ have I wasted over the last 4 years because of this?

Last edited by JeepingGreen; 04-21-2013 at 03:54 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-21-2013, 04:33 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

My first thought was a chunk of carbon.
Carbon build up from low quality fuel can do that. It can also cause the difference in plug gap, as in smaller pieces hitting and breaking apart inside the combustion chamber.

Do you run a decent grade of fuel? Or run fuel system cleaner?
How did the compression test come out? Did you compare the reading to another cylinder?

Also I believe those Champion plugs are copper core, and should be replaced at 30k miles.

edit: Sorry I just caught the difference in color between the plugs as well. You may want to check on your o2 sensor or for a vacuum leak if the three lighter colored plugs are all from the passenger side.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD

Last edited by bfj aka tambil; 04-21-2013 at 04:37 PM.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-21-2013, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfj aka tambil View Post
My first thought was a chunk of carbon.
Carbon build up from low quality fuel can do that. It can also cause the difference in plug gap, as in smaller pieces hitting and breaking apart inside the combustion chamber.

Do you run a decent grade of fuel? Or run fuel system cleaner?
How did the compression test come out? Did you compare the reading to another cylinder?

Also I believe those Champion plugs are copper core, and should be replaced at 30k miles.

edit: Sorry I just caught the difference in color between the plugs as well. You may want to check on your o2 sensor or for a vacuum leak if the three lighter colored plugs are all from the passenger side.
Very good points.. For the gas - I fill up with regular/87 at Arco (usually). Sometimes Chevron, sometimes Shell.

Haven't tested compression or anything else.. Just the plug swap.. Also sounds like (just in the last week) I might have an exhaust leak but that's another thread altogether..

I would certainly agree with the 30k mile swap - especially considering I actually wheel my Jeep - water splashing up, mud, dirt, rock crawling in 95į temps, etc.. I just can't get over how the metal is "chewed up" on that one plug... What did that plug ever do to anyone?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode