Gouges in front axle shafts - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-19-2013, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Gouges in front axle shafts

So I took out the front axle shafts to get ready for a truss installation and discovered that both sides have pretty heavy gouges in them. The drivers side is gouged at 4 7/16" in from the end of the spline and the passenger side is gouged 3 1/16" in from the end of the spline.

I haven't removed the carrier to see what might be going on and was hoping maybe someone has seen this before and knows whats causing it before I tear into if any further.

Last time I personally had these out was to install the Nitro sleeves. The gouges weren't there at that time. Since the sleeve install, I had new gears installed around 6-months ago. I wasn't there when they did the gears so I can't say the gouges were or weren't there at that time. I assume (yeah, yeah, I know) if they were that the tech would have pointed it out. Could this have something to do with the new gear installation? It really has me worried now cause I don't want to put anything back together that might cause more damage down the road.

Originally Posted by van7559
I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-19-2013, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Here's pic.
Attached Images

I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
post #3 of 11 Old 04-19-2013, 11:42 AM
Rock God

That looks like right about where the seals would be around the shafts. How deep is the "gouge"? I wonder if you have debris that is/was wedge in the seal or between the seal and shaft. When was the last time you changed your diff fluid? If you recall, was it littered with shavings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-19-2013, 11:50 AM
Rock God

Did you do the install of the shafts? Almost looks like someone put "retainers" on them.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-19-2013, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Gouges are only a few thousands. No retainers. I installed shafts originally with original seals. Installed Nitro sleeves last year with no issues that I knew of. Gear install 6 months ago and as I said, I wasn't there so I don't know if the gouges were too.

Last diff oil change was only a few weeks ago and there wasn't any abnormal issue with the fluid.

I'm wondering now if its possible that the tech installed the races and carrier retainers ass backwards. Think that could be the cause. I won't be into the diff until next week to find out.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by M&M's; 04-19-2013 at 01:36 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-19-2013, 07:07 PM
Granite Guru

X2 on the seal.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-19-2013, 07:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Going with where the seal rides.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-19-2013, 07:26 PM
Rock God

Garage

Yup. Have those too. Not nearly as bad. But its from my inner seals

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #9 of 11 Old 04-19-2013, 08:12 PM
Rock God

Seals. Just the way it is. Any sign of oil leaking.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

post #10 of 11 Old 04-19-2013, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Ok, for now I'll assume it's the seals. I'll pull the carrier out once I'm done putting the truss on and see which it actually is. I'm surprised a rubber seal could cut into the metal that bad.

So far the seals seem ok. There really wasn't evidence of a leak. There was a little oil on the shaft but no more than normal and again, no abnormal metal shavings or anything like that during last oil change a couple weeks ago.

Guess what my real concern is, is that when I put RCV's in I don't want them to have a reason to void a warranty in the event there's a problem so we'll see what I find next week when we open the diff up.

Thanks guys for the support. I'll report back next week.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

post #11 of 11 Old 04-26-2013, 09:33 AM
Rock God

Murray...I was cleaning the garage, throwing out my old shaft from the rug rd debacle and saw this! Not deep enough to measure but definately worn like yours! FWIW for those who don't know, stock rig open, d30 shafts that had been out for seals, thats it. 60k before the joint busted. Hope it goes well this weekend!

Last edited by Catfish; 07-29-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode