Carrier Runout - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 04-17-2013, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Carrier Runout

So I ordered a yukon grizzly and dropped my jeep off at a reputable shop in the area to get it installed. this shop didnt do the gear install, but here are some pictures the shop sent me of some issues with my diff. Basically, factory spyder gears were chipping, the shims were falling out, and my pinion had lost its preload.

whole album. http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/El...?sort=3&page=1

So the shops cleans up the mess, and goes to do a fresh install with the new locker. cant get a good pattern, goes to check the locker, and finds the case has a runout of .008. so now the shop doesnt want to install the locker because he says itll basically fuck my shit up and i'll be back in no time for the diff to get fixed again.

So I call the place I ordered from, they call yukon, yukon talks to the shop guy and comes back and says they dont think anything is wrong with the locker. is case runout a thing? is yukon fucking me, or is the shop just looking at things wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-17-2013, 03:21 PM
Rock God

Was your factory setup the one that had chipped teeth and shims falling out? If so you should be taking that crap back to the dealer for a warrenty replacement. I've never heard of a bad housing before but I suppose it's possible. If the housing is bad it would probably have come from the factory that way. What year and how many miles? I have installed gears before and it takes a diff case spreader to set the carrier pre-load. IMO carrier shims aren't loose and don't just fall out unless the install had no carrier pre-load set.

LS3 2007 JKU X - Red Rock, 2012 JKU Rubicon - Deep Cherry Red, 2001 TJ - Black
post #3 of 21 Old 04-17-2013, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipewa View Post
Was your factory setup the one that had chipped teeth and shims falling out? If so you should be taking that crap back to the dealer for a warrenty replacement. I've never heard of a bad housing before but I suppose it's possible. If the housing is bad it would probably have come from the factory that way. What year and how many miles? I have installed gears before and it takes a diff case spreader to set the carrier pre-load. IMO carrier shims aren't loose and don't just fall out unless the install had no carrier pre-load set.
no, i had my jeep regeared at some other shop. so shims are on them, spiders are factory though. jeep has less then 20k on it, was regeared around 10k or so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 04-18-2013, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

bump. carrier runout, is it a thing?
post #5 of 21 Old 04-18-2013, 07:12 AM
Rock God

Well 0.008 runout is a bit hefty and agree that it would cause issues down the road. Would return the locker if it truly is carrier run-out which I kind of doubt.

2010 JKU Sahara
It's all about smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon
post #6 of 21 Old 04-18-2013, 07:16 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneck View Post
bump. carrier runout, is it a thing?
Yes, it's a thing. It would change our backlash as the carrier spins. The idea is your backlash is within a constant 1 or 2 thousandths around the whole ring gear.

A runout of 8 thousandths is equivalent to shifting your carrier shims 8 thousandths, only it happens every revolution. This would throw your backlash out of whack.

Did the shop measure both axial and lateral runout of the ring gear and carrier? If it was 8 thousandths, that's your problem. A housing can't exhibit runout on a carrier, since it rotates on fixed points, it's an issue with the carrier itself.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
post #7 of 21 Old 04-18-2013, 07:18 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamon Creel View Post
Well 0.008 runout is a bit hefty and agree that it would cause issues down the road. Would return the locker if it truly is carrier run-out which I kind of doubt.
If they measured carrier runout at 0.008" and the carrier bearing were not shifted in the housing, I don't see how it isn't the carrier, IMO

-Mike
post #8 of 21 Old 04-18-2013, 07:27 AM
Rock God

The question is how/where they measured the carrier run-out? On the Carrier itself or on the ring gear?

2010 JKU Sahara
post #9 of 21 Old 04-18-2013, 07:30 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamon Creel View Post
The question is how/where they measured the carrier run-out? On the Carrier itself or on the ring gear?
Agreed. 0.008" on both or just the carrier is concerning. 0.008" on the ring gear says they didn't seat it properly.

-Mike
post #10 of 21 Old 04-18-2013, 07:48 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKred07 View Post
A housing can't exhibit runout on a carrier, since it rotates on fixed points, it's an issue with the carrier itself.
I agree with this statement 100%. Either a bad carrier, ring gear, or ring gear is not seated on carrier surface flat.

post #11 of 21 Old 04-18-2013, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

shop explained that after they couldnt get a good pattern, they went to check to see if it was the ring gear or the carrier, and checked the carrier first. so its measured on the carrier, not the ring gear
post #12 of 21 Old 04-18-2013, 08:41 AM
Rock God

In that case return if you bought it new since IMO that's a carrier out of the reject bin if it really has that much run-out.

2010 JKU Sahara
post #13 of 21 Old 04-18-2013, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

thats my thinking. yukon is insisting their shit dont stink, so instead of sending me a new one, i have to return this one for them to check out before they send me something. normally i would just up and buy a new one and wait for them to credit me, but if theyre already being dicks, i dont want them to claim its used or some bullshit (since it had carrier bearing put on). certainly leaving a bad taste in my mouth
post #14 of 21 Old 04-18-2013, 11:42 AM
Rock God

This doesn't bode well for Yukon. I didn't even know they made a locker.

post #15 of 21 Old 04-18-2013, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipewa View Post
This doesn't bode well for Yukon. I didn't even know they made a locker.
yeah the grizzly and the zip. zip is like arb, grizzly is like the detroit. i want the grizzly to work out because ive heard its smoother than the detroit is, and stronger. and the warranty is nice too, if the locker blows up, theyll cover the install costs of a new locker.

but them being captain dick heads about it, sucks. the guy at yukon i talked to said "we just dont hear of this type of thing happening, so we want to see it for ourselves" to which i replied "well obviously you dont see it happen often, if you did, you wouldnt have such an amazing warranty cuz shit would be coming back left and right!"

he didnt have a response to that
post #16 of 21 Old 04-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Rock God

Personally I find it odd to have such a large run-out on the carrier alone and being a bit skeptical about it. I'll stay neutral in the back on that one since I can't check the run-out myself over the net. Keep us updated on it please.

2010 JKU Sahara
post #17 of 21 Old 04-19-2013, 04:04 AM
Wheeler

Normaly thet measure runout on the back of the ring gear. I've seen a lack of champfer on the ring gear cause the ring gear to not seat and leave a small gap between the carrier and ring gear and misdiagnosed as a bad carrier.
post #18 of 21 Old 04-30-2013, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

so to bump this back up, Yukon called me back after getting the locker back (took long enough). They didn't tell me what was wrong, just asked if I wanted a new one or a refund. So great. They were 100% against sending me a new locker before, and now, they won't tell me what was wrong, theyre just sending me another. Thanks for wasting my time Yukon! hopefully the locker is worth all this bullshit
post #19 of 21 Old 04-30-2013, 01:19 PM
V8 dreams

did you ask them what was wrong or did they just not tell you? i'm looking at rear lockers as my rear LSD was a tad disappointing last time out. and the detroit seems like a good idea, and the grizzly more so if its 'smoother and stronger'...but not if there is issues

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU
post #20 of 21 Old 04-30-2013, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
did you ask them what was wrong or did they just not tell you? i'm looking at rear lockers as my rear LSD was a tad disappointing last time out. and the detroit seems like a good idea, and the grizzly more so if its 'smoother and stronger'...but not if there is issues
and asked and the guy I was talking to said he didn't know, just that he was told to ask me if I wanted a new one or not
post #21 of 21 Old 04-30-2013, 03:05 PM
Wheeler

Are you really talking run out in relation to the axis of revolution? It sounds like you are really talking about flatness or perpendicularity to the axis of revolution. Either way would be bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode