BDS Lift Kit HELP!!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 04-12-2013, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

BDS Lift Kit HELP!!!

I had a local shop install a BDS 4" Long Arm kit on my 07 JK.

After I got it home , I decided to crawl under and take a look...

The rear axle seems to be 2" - 3" too far back! the springs are "offset"

I downloaded the instructions to double check bracket mounting locations... they are within spec.

The lower arms measure 33" center bolt to center bolt. I don't know if this right.

This can't be right.... ????

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Prosperity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-12-2013, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I can't upload the pics

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Prosperity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-12-2013, 08:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Offset ?
3" is not possible without significant modifications

Twisted maybe ? What's the pinion angle look like?

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-12-2013, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Pinion angle has axle tilted back a few degrees... straight in line with drive shaft.

The spring.... if I were to hang a plumb bob from the top of the spring to the bottom ( center to center ) it measures approx. 2.5" offset. the spring is actually installed in an S shape top to bottom, front to back.

I wish I could upload the pic.

post #5 of 19 Old 04-12-2013, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

My first thought was the brackets were installed wrong... but they are right where the instructions show.

It seems as if the lower arms are too long, pushing the axle back.

post #6 of 19 Old 04-12-2013, 09:08 PM
JKO Addict!

You can shorten the uppers to bring the pinion down a couple degrees below the DS.
Correction wedges or relocate the perches for coil alignment.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #7 of 19 Old 04-12-2013, 09:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Spring contacting track bar bracket?

post #8 of 19 Old 04-13-2013, 08:39 AM
Rock God

I know on my RK lift, It pushed my rear axle back but thats what that kit does, I would take it back to the shop and ask em to look at it again, and I would call BDS and ask em if what you are telling us is right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 2 door sport, 6 speed,Dark Charcoal Pearl
post #9 of 19 Old 04-13-2013, 08:59 AM
JKO Addict!

RK does about a 1" but relocates the swaybar.
Not possible to push the axle back 3" with relocating the gas tank .... I think.

He prob has too much positive pinion angle and the coils are bowed without some sort of correction.

post #10 of 19 Old 04-13-2013, 09:04 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Correction wedges or relocate the perches for coil alignment.
This !
its even nescesary when moving the axle back an inch - My track bar will rub on my springs, and I need to rotate the perches or get the wedges during the 3 link install

and oh yea.... just upload your pics to photobucket or a pic hosting site and then you can uplaod them here in your messages using the URL

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #11 of 19 Old 04-13-2013, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Took it in this morning.... They said this is normal. Has anyone EVER seen a spring installed in a bind. Where the top is not inline with the bottom...

Does anyone on here have a BDS 4" long arm kit installed on their 2dr JK?

I would like to know if yours is like this?

Also, how long is your lower control arm?

post #12 of 19 Old 04-13-2013, 11:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
post #13 of 19 Old 04-13-2013, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So... This tells me that my rear springs are normal after this type of lift???

post #14 of 19 Old 04-13-2013, 12:09 PM
JKO Addict!

It is due to the fact the pinion is rotated up to correct the pinion angle at the new height. This rotates the whole axle and your coil perches are not level anymore. If you look at them the front of the perch is higher then the back causing the bow in the coils.

The cheapest way to fix it would be to have the shop cut the welds on the perches and rotate them forward so they are level again and weld them back on. It is a pretty simple thing to do and should not take but about 15 min of actual time to cut and weld them.

You would think with a long arm where welding is already a part of installing the lift rock krawler would suggest re-setting the coil perches.

The correction wedges will help but even with them the coil perch is still out of alignment front to rear.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link

Last edited by thedirtman; 04-13-2013 at 12:12 PM.
post #15 of 19 Old 04-13-2013, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks to everyone for the info. I think re- welding the spring perches is the way I'll go.
I would think that it would have been part of the install... Guess not.

Just wondering.... I would think the springs would eventually fail in this position... Will they?

post #16 of 19 Old 04-13-2013, 07:57 PM
JKO Addict!

JKS has a adjustable perch.

post #17 of 19 Old 04-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Rock God

Are you ever in south KC? I would be happy to take a look at it.

Brian

STOMPER Off-Road
post #18 of 19 Old 08-31-2013, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Update...

This started squeaking rather loudly.... it was the sway bar disconnects making direct contact with the shock mounts. I was going to move the sway bar back, but the large trunk mod that I installed a couple years back didn't allow it.
So... I took the sway bar off. Ive been driving around streets and hiways, around curve, etc.... it doesn't seem to be handling bad.

Does the Jeep actually need a rear sway bar?

post #19 of 19 Old 08-31-2013, 08:38 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Need it ? No.. But

You will have a much more stable and predictable rig with it or a newer sway bar on...

Especially Offroad. I am not a fan of the unpredictable unloading and shifting wheeling without a rear sway bar

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode