Rugged Ridge Snorkel- Just installed - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-09-2013, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Rugged Ridge Snorkel- Just installed

Just installed a Rugged Ridge snorkel on my 2011. I was on the fence about snorkels until two weekends ago when two of my friends hydro-locked (not at the same place) One was going too fast through shallow watter, the other was crossing a stream he had forded 1000 times before (on his property) and it was dug out by the snow melt and ended up getting too deep. So anyway i wont do a write up as there are plenty on them internets.

I will however say that it took me about 5 hours (including time to eat lunch), but it was a very straight forward install. Very easy but time consuming is a good way of putting it. Nothing involved that anyone who has even seen a picture of a wrench before couldnt figure out.

Anyway i did something different; instead of installing the ram for the high mount i installed a cyclonic pre filter from Donaldson. They make them for use on commercial vehicles and tractors mostly but i think they supply the one that came with the old AEV kit. Most of the time i will have the low mount on, but i hit the sand dunes a lot in the summer and head out west so it cant hurt.

The girlfriend and her dog approve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Rock God

Ive been thinking of getting one just for the benefit of the higher intake and pre-filter. The trails last year were so dusty that I pretty much needed a new air filter after every run.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-09-2013, 10:36 AM
Rock God

Nice. Does it throw out alot of light ? How do you change the mantles ?

POG MO THOIN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDailey4 View Post
Nice. Does it throw out alot of light ? How do you change the mantles ?
You can only get to the mantles through the driver's side rear blinker fluid reservoir. You need an 8 1/2 ft fly fishing rod, a dog leash (pink color) and a flat head screw driver. Takes no time at all.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-09-2013, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRed View Post
You can only get to the mantles through the driver's side rear blinker fluid reservoir. You need an 8 1/2 ft fly fishing rod, a dog leash (pink color) and a flat head screw driver. Takes no time at all.
ya, and it is a good time to go ahead and repack the elbow grease in the knuter valve bearings, as you will already be in the area.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-09-2013, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robnoxious1 View Post
Ive been thinking of getting one just for the benefit of the higher intake and pre-filter. The trails last year were so dusty that I pretty much needed a new air filter after every run.
Same here. I would knock the dust out of it on the fender haha. The Donaldson Part number for the pre-cleaner is H001249. They are always up on ebay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode