Relocated my rear shocks now have a issue! Opinions? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 04-07-2013, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Relocated my rear shocks now have a issue! Opinions?

Hacked off my lower shock mount brackets on the axle.
Before

And after

My issue now is under compression my shock will bottom out before my bumpstops hit I'm lacking about 2" before I hit my bumpstops.

Would somthing like this solve my issue?
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...t-p-29226.html

Says it relocates the rear upper shock mounts 2" up and 2.5" back sounds like it should work and I could still drop the lowers down 1 notch if needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 04-07-2013, 08:23 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Yes it will... I did the same mod, and although my shocks don't bottom out I did chat with PIG and it appears as I too would benefit greatly from this...

An another note, that shock relocation is hands down the best mod I have done to date !

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #3 of 29 Old 04-07-2013, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
Yes it will... I did the same mod, and although my shocks don't bottom out I did chat with PIG and it appears as I too would benefit greatly from this...

An another note, that shock relocation is hands down the best mod I have done to date !
I had to cut mine off I was beating the mess out of them I went from 10.5" of ground clearence to 12.5" with 37s and 13.5" with my 39s I can live with that now my diff hangs lower than the shock mounts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 04-07-2013, 08:44 AM
Granite Guru

Your gonna have to put a shorter shock on.
post #5 of 29 Old 04-07-2013, 08:55 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich6700 View Post
Your gonna have to put a shorter shock on.
No your not... You will regain those two inches up top with those upper mounts.

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #6 of 29 Old 04-07-2013, 06:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I use those synergy brackets as well and they are very nice and will do just what you are looking to do. You'll most likely need to move your swaybar back after you install those brackets.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 29 Old 04-07-2013, 08:00 PM
JKO Addict!

I always wondered about this. A lot of people have relocated rear shocks for ground clearance purposes, thats great and all but your also losing a good amount of travel and risk bottoming out your shocks. Good to know synergy has a solution

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #8 of 29 Old 04-07-2013, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks for the replies guys going to order up the brackets in the morning. My sway bar is relocated back 1" now hopefully this will be enough if not I will address it.
post #9 of 29 Old 04-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Granite Guru

I ordered a set of 4" lift shocks, went to install them and found out that they ordered the wrong shocks. They ordered shocks for a 2" lift... I cut the brackets off, attached them to the shocks, pulled the shocks out so I'd have 4" of up-travel and a little over 6" of down-travel. The bottom of my shock mount is almost even with the axle. Wanted to have 8" of down travel and 4" up but fawk-it. Absolutely love the relocation kit.

Last edited by Jeepmods; 04-07-2013 at 08:52 PM.
post #10 of 29 Old 04-08-2013, 09:27 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Lady View Post
Thanks for the replies guys going to order up the brackets in the morning. My sway bar is relocated back 1" now hopefully this will be enough if not I will address it.
I am almost positive that the Synergy kit comes with the hardware to relocate the sway bar back. I think the stock exhaust may be an issue though.

post #11 of 29 Old 04-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Granite Guru

Looks good, did you have issues with the sway bar links or did moving the sway bar back an inch take care of that? I am ready to hack mine off as well but I want want to keep my current shocks so this looks like a good route to take. I may have to get new links because the ones that came with my lift are not adjustable.

And yes according to synergy, stock exhaust mod is need for the use of the mounts.
post #12 of 29 Old 04-08-2013, 10:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I am almost positive that the Synergy kit comes with the hardware to relocate the sway bar back. I think the stock exhaust may be an issue though.
The swaybar relo hardware is an option when ordering.

Yep, I am pretty sure the stock exhaust will be somewhat in the way.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 29 Old 04-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Slow and Low

FYI, Rock Krawler also has upper shock mounts that you weld to the inside of the frame, which are badass.
These would set your shocks back and up. And will work with or without a stretch.

Last edited by Co4Lo; 04-08-2013 at 10:40 AM.
post #14 of 29 Old 04-08-2013, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
FYI, Rock Krawler also has upper shock mounts that you weld to the inside of the frame, which are badass.
These would set your shocks back and up. And will work with or without a stretch.
Do you no how far back and up this relocates the shocks I would be very interested in this as I plan to eventually stretch the rear?
post #15 of 29 Old 04-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Do you no how far back and up this relocates the shocks I would be very interested in this as I plan to eventually stretch the rear?
It's not really specific. You can locate them wherever you want. Looks like about 8-10" to the new mounting point.

Last edited by Co4Lo; 04-08-2013 at 11:23 AM.
post #16 of 29 Old 04-08-2013, 04:58 PM
JKO Addict!

I installed Synergy's lower shock mount/guard set a while back and it just barely worked with rear Billy 5100s mounted to the stock upper points. Added about 1/2" of stop to ensure they weren't bottoming out. On mine to relocate the upper mounts with Synergy's kit meant mving the track bar back, and to move the track bar back meant losing the muffler and getting something like an MBRP.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #17 of 29 Old 04-08-2013, 07:16 PM
Wheeler

I have both upper and lower shock mts from synergy on my 09 JKU. You have to purchase the sway bar re-location bracket which moves the bracket back about an inch.
I found that I could not get the stock muffler back on without the pipe and / or muffler hitting the swaybar. I managed to get the muffler on by loosening the clamp and moving the muffler back about an inch. Problem here is that you're getting awfully close to the rear of the jeep. I finally got mine positioned, but then the hangers wouldn't fit. I'm currently running the muffler with baling wire to hold it onto the hanger on the driver side and a nylon strap to hold it onto the passenger side hanger.

I also found that the shocks (new bilsteins 5100's) are soft in the rear now with the upper and lower mounts installed. I didn't notice this when I only had the bottoms installed. It's been suggested that I have the shocks re-valved.

The brackets themselves are well constructed and definetely raise the shocks. The extra clearence is great. Once you go with the upper mount, you're commited since you have to cut off the old mount.

Semper Fi USMC 1968 -1971
09 Sahara 4dr Unlimited
D44 Front w/ elocker, TF C braces, Currie HD Tie rod, ARB rear locker, 5.13's
2 1/2" teraflex lift + 1" spacers
JKS Adj front/rear trackbar and quick disco's
ACE Mfg Rock Sliders
post #18 of 29 Old 04-08-2013, 07:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
I always wondered about this. A lot of people have relocated rear shocks for ground clearance purposes, thats great and all but your also losing a good amount of travel and risk bottoming out your shocks. Good to know synergy has a solution
same. i have the evo rockstars waiting to be put on, like you said its good to know there is a solution to this problem.

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #19 of 29 Old 04-08-2013, 08:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Here is Synergy upper and my lower.

works really well.
post #20 of 29 Old 04-08-2013, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

My exhaust has long been gone so that will not be a issue I don't think I'm going to order these with the spacers either Im pretty sure my sway bar is going to clear and if not ill push it back some more.

Main reason I cut off my lower mounts is because they were getting smashed by rocks and I also bent the shaft on one of my billy 5100s and now it's leaking oil so now it needs replaced I'm going to try and get 1 more ride out of it first though lol.
post #21 of 29 Old 04-08-2013, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDinker View Post

works really well.
Are these upper shock mounts or upper coilover mounts?
post #22 of 29 Old 04-08-2013, 08:54 PM
JKO Addict!

They are the upper coilover mounts. I think they would work just the same.
post #23 of 29 Old 04-08-2013, 10:32 PM
GKR
Granite Guru

They work fine. Thats what I run with a 14" travel shock.

post #24 of 29 Old 04-08-2013, 11:36 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Hacked off my lower shock mount brackets on the axle.

My issue now is under compression my shock will bottom out before my bumpstops hit I'm lacking about 2" before I hit my bumpstops.

Would somthing like this solve my issue?
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...t-p-29226.html

Says it relocates the rear upper shock mounts 2" up and 2.5" back sounds like it should work and I could still drop the lowers down 1 notch if needed.
YUP.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
The swaybar relo hardware is an option when ordering.
What he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
I installed Synergy's lower shock mount/guard set a while back and it just barely worked with rear Billy 5100s mounted to the stock upper points. Added about 1/2" of stop to ensure they weren't bottoming out. On mine to relocate the upper mounts with Synergy's kit meant mving the track bar back, and to move the track bar back meant losing the muffler and getting something like an MBRP.
Don't really understand the rear trackbar issue you are having.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDinker View Post

works really well.
Looks good Larry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR View Post

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #25 of 29 Old 04-09-2013, 07:43 AM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR View Post

That's a really nice crossmember. It would also be ideal for a stretch since you have to cut out the XM above the axle if you wanna keep it low.

My end result (when I stretched and was still using coils/shocks),was welding on RK mounts and making/relocating my own XM to replace the one I removed.

This would have been a great all-in-one solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode