14 bolt and PR44? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-03-2013, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

14 bolt and PR44?

So I am currently trying to figure out a 14b build for the rear of my rig. I currently have a PR44 up front. Where I am having problems is trying to match widths and bolt patterns. I have lined up a 14b SRW. I have seen solids hubs for the 14 but that puts me to 5x5.5 at the right width. I could make it happen with solidaxles hubs for the 14 and the spyntec kit for the front but its alot of coin when I add it all up and have to buy wheels again. Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Granite Guru

Axles with the right lug pattern, wheel spacers, or do a d60 front to match the 14 bolt rear...
Can't see doing a 14 bolt rear unless your going 40s in which case the d44 will be a bit small..
Just a thought...

If your staying 37s then shush build your d44 rear solid...its the ring and pinion that are the weak link usually...just trying to figure out why your going 14 bolt...

Either way I'll subscribe as eventually I'll do d60/14 bolt shaved set up more than likely...or just get a buggy....
post #3 of 11 Old 04-03-2013, 10:29 PM
VKS Fab

What's your main reason for wanting to go 14Bolt?

Handmade One At A Time
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GIVE US A CALL 559-392-3145
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-03-2013, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

My reasoning is pretty much cost to go 14bolt over dumping money into my 44. I can pick up the 14 for $150 and probably be around a grand when done. If I lock my 44 and get chromos I will be over a grand+. I may go bigger than 37 at some point but not right now. I am not stuck on a 14, its just they are cheap! I like the idea of a project too. I originally had planned to do a bolt in 60 for the rear but I am weighing my options for cost versus benefit.

Last edited by jkoiiiiojk; 04-03-2013 at 10:45 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-03-2013, 10:43 PM
Rock God

Garage

You could go through the painful process of dumping money in to the PR44 and make it wider and then match the bolt pattern in the rear etc or just get a junkyard front D60 that is full width (69") and matches the bolt pattern in the rear then have tone rings made. Or just stick with the PR44 front and the JK 44 rear. Will handle up to a 40 easily. Toss a matching locker in back (unless you already have one) and some chromo shafts maybe a truss if you wheel the piss out of it and you have nothing at all to worry about. From what your looking for I think the second option is the best.

'15 JKUR
post #6 of 11 Old 04-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Apt
I Put the FU in FUN

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoiiiiojk View Post
My reasoning is pretty much cost to go 14bolt over dumping money into my 44. I can pick up the 14 for $150 and probably be around a grand when done. If I lock my 44 and get chromos I will over a grand+. I may go bigger than 37 at some point but not right now.
I doubt you'll be locked, geared, shafted, braked, trussed and tone ringed for 1 grand. But hey, I haven't built one yet.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-03-2013, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

14 already has a locker, will run stock shafts for time being. So I need Bracketry, disc conversion, tone rings, R&P with bearing kit, and if need be the solid axle hubs. It may put me over $1000 but I feel the 14 would be a better investment. I may be wrong on all of this, thats why I am asking for input. I have read Co4lo's and it really got me thinking...
post #8 of 11 Old 04-03-2013, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullcrew View Post
...or just get a buggy....
That has been a thought for a while now...
post #9 of 11 Old 04-03-2013, 11:07 PM
Rock God

Garage

A locked 14 bolt? who screwed with it/what did they do? are you sure its still stock gearing? I would still just fix up your rear D44. Your going to be 3k in the rear for a loaded out 14 bolt.

'15 JKUR
post #10 of 11 Old 04-03-2013, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

It has 4.10 gears and what he believes is a detroit. It was paired with a d60 frt that is welded and came out of another rig. the 60 is a dodge pass drop otherwise I would grab both. I know my 44 rear will be okay if I throw a locker and shafts at it. I just hate double buying. I am trying to plan for bigger eventually. I still dont think 3k for a a loaded up 14. I can do all of the work myself so all I have is parts into it. Maybe the better option is to lock and chromo the 44 and leave the 14b in the corner for a rainy day or another rig.

Last edited by jkoiiiiojk; 04-03-2013 at 11:34 PM.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-03-2013, 11:53 PM
Wheeler

That 14 bolt is gonna cost upwards of $2k. You should really price it out. The small stuff like wheel bearings, studs and brake components start adding up quickly. If you want an e-brake, Eldorado calipers are like $300. I think you can buy a G2 Rock Jock for like $3k. I definitely hear you on buying stuff twice, it sucks.

2009 Rubicon Unlimited: A mix of Teraflex and Currie with a little Poly thrown in, on 36s.

Mo' Doors, Mo' Problems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode