Ten Factory rear axle shaft bearings - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 03-30-2013, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Ten Factory rear axle shaft bearings

My passenger rear axle shaft bearing crapped out on me. Anyone have a part number for a replacement? I'm hoping this is something that can be sourced local. Heading out on a wheeling trip Friday.

Pulled the diver side and it was fine but I'm going to replace it too since its out.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Rock God

I don't see why a OEM wouldn't work. Also don't see why a call to Dave at Northridge first thing Mon, won't get u a bearing by tues.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-30-2013, 02:18 PM
JKO Addict!

HOw did you identify the sound you were hearing as a rear axle bearing? For my own curiosity....

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 03-30-2013, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
HOw did you identify the sound you were hearing as a rear axle bearing? For my own curiosity....
It was a rotational clunk that only came when I was on the gas and started when I took a sharp left turn. When it started on Thursday It sounded like it was coming from the rear DS or axle. I got under the jeep and inspected everything, looking for anything loose or showing contact with something else. The Rear DS is fairly new and all its joints looked normal.

This morning I laid the back seat down and laid down in the back with my ear to the floor in different areas while a friend drove around. By the location of the sound I was guessing an axle bearing. Pulled it and...bingo!

TC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 Old 03-30-2013, 04:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Should be stock replacement..

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #6 of 22 Old 03-30-2013, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
Also don't see why a call to Dave at Northridge first thing Mon, won't get u a bearing by tues.
No reason to ship something overnight, cross country if I can get it local. If its an OEM bearing, I've got jeep dealers right here.

TC

post #7 of 22 Old 03-31-2013, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Measured the OD of the stock axle shaft at the bearing collar, 1.563"
Measured the OD of the Ten Factory shaft, same thing, 1.563

The OD of the bearing has obviously got to fit in the stock axle tube.

I guess the answer to the question, as some have mentioned, is OEM bearings or like sized aftermarket will fit.

I just wasn't sure if the OD of the Ten Factory shafts were the same as the stock shafts at the bearing. They are...so I'll rock on with OEM sized bearings. Looks like NAPA has some as well.

TC

post #8 of 22 Old 03-31-2013, 08:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I just bought mine at the local dealership when I replaced everything in my axles. It didn't hurt much!
post #9 of 22 Old 03-31-2013, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireTrail741 View Post
I just bought mine at the local dealership when I replaced everything in my axles. It didn't hurt much!
Did they have a kit that included the seals, bearings and bearing retainer or was everything individual?

how much...looks like Napa has them for $49.99 but that is just the bearing and retainer, no seal

TC

post #10 of 22 Old 03-31-2013, 08:57 AM
JKO Addict!

I lost both rear seals after a ham fisted tech pulled the shafts during a re-gear . Northridge David fixed me up w/everything. You'll have to drill and break the collars, then use a bearin separator to pull from the retainers inward. Careful who u farm it out to if that's necessary, hacks abound.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #11 of 22 Old 03-31-2013, 09:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
Did they have a kit that included the seals, bearings and bearing retainer or was everything individual?

how much...looks like Napa has them for $49.99 but that is just the bearing and retainer, no seal
I bought the seals separate. The retainer came with the bearings. And yes, you have drill and cut the old retainers off.
post #12 of 22 Old 03-31-2013, 09:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
I lost both rear seals after a ham fisted tech pulled the shafts during a re-gear . Northridge David fixed me up w/everything. You'll have to drill and break the collars, then use a bearin separator to pull from the retainers inward. Careful who u farm it out to if that's necessary, hacks abound.
Agree 100%!
post #13 of 22 Old 03-31-2013, 09:20 AM
Wheeler

it probably broke from the weight of that new cage and corner armor. I would part it out.
post #14 of 22 Old 03-31-2013, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawton View Post
it probably broke from the weight of that new cage and corner armor. I would part it out.
I'm sure that is just exactly what happened...I'll let you know when the part out starts...

TC

post #15 of 22 Old 04-01-2013, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Local jeep dealer; bearings $57 and Seals $23
Moparonlineparts.com; bearings $39.99, Seals $16
Local Napa; bearings $23(OEM) or $49(napa gold), Seals $23

I have a time constraint so I am not going to try and rush ship via moparonline. I am going to hit up Napa. They also have a machine shop and will press the bearings on.

TC

post #16 of 22 Old 04-01-2013, 06:38 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Local jeep dealer; bearings $57 and Seals $23
Moparonlineparts.com; bearings $39.99, Seals $16
Local Napa; bearings $23(OEM) or $49(napa gold), Seals $23

I have a time constraint so I am not going to try and rush ship via moparonline. I am going to hit up Napa. They also have a machine shop and will press the bearings on.
Good information right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #17 of 22 Old 08-27-2013, 01:33 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
My passenger rear axle shaft bearing crapped out on me. Anyone have a part number for a replacement? I'm hoping this is something that can be sourced local. Heading out on a wheeling trip Friday.

Pulled the diver side and it was fine but I'm going to replace it too since its out.
Sorry for the dumb question... but do bad bearings look like this?

When i pull out my old shafts both bearings looked like this.

Also i have a noise comming from my rear axle, and the bearing was seperated like this.

Thanks,

08' Rubi 4-door. Baby Hauler, even in 2ft of snow...
3.5" Rock Krawler, and 35's.

94' XJ 4.5" RE OX front and Rear, 33's
post #18 of 22 Old 08-27-2013, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJhammer View Post
Sorry for the dumb question... but do bad bearings look like this?

When i pull out my old shafts both bearings looked like this.

Also i have a noise comming from my rear axle, and the bearing was seperated like this.

Thanks,
That picture doesn't really show much. If your bearing pulls away from the axle shaft at all as you are spinning it or is wobbly and not a clean tight press fit on the shaft then they are bad.

TC

post #19 of 22 Old 08-27-2013, 09:15 PM
Granite Guru

Just a heads up for those of you that live in areas that don't have great parts stores or the prices are insanely high, Amazon carries timken bearing sets that can be had for a good price.

I had to replace a couple of rear wheel seals in 2011 on my '04 rubicon. Of course to replace the seal you need a minimum of a new retainer, probably a bearing too. So I shopped locally (Moab) and found the bearing and seal for about $85.

Amazon carried the same Timken SET10 bearing and retainer set for $30.33 and the Timken seal (9912S) for $16.32.

I believe the same set and seals are used on the D44 in the JK as well. Current pricing looks to be $29.93 and $15.22!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_os_product

Jason - KB0WLI
2008 Black JKU Rubicon
RIPP Stage 2, RockHard Bumpers, RockKrawler 3.5" X-Factor & Fox 2.0's, Nitro Sleeved, Artec Trussed & Gusseted, Synergy DL Flip, Energy green Spyder Louvers, 37x12.50-17 Falken Wild Peaks wrapped around 17x9 XD Addics
post #20 of 22 Old 08-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Rock God

I had the same clunk with a set of G2's which I think are the same shafts. G2 warrantied them since the shafts were only 3 months old. I had a brand new set of Superiors so I just put them in and the G2's will be my spares now.

09 Rubicon Unlimited on 42's with some stuff

post #21 of 22 Old 08-28-2013, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abadjeeper View Post
I had the same clunk with a set of G2's which I think are the same shafts. G2 warrantied them since the shafts were only 3 months old. I had a brand new set of Superiors so I just put them in and the G2's will be my spares now.
G2 warrantied a shaft due to a bearing issue? That is a little weird but pretty cool for you.

TC

post #22 of 22 Old 08-28-2013, 11:36 AM
Granite Guru

Standard Set 10 Bearing and seal. Should be able to pick it up at any auto parts store.

David

Free shipping on all orders over $70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode