Question - RC lift - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 03-29-2013, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Question - RC lift

Question here. Limited funds and all that. Am looking at a frankin lift. The RC 4" lift. It comes with:
Front: Lifted coil springs, track bar bracket, pitman arm, sway-bar links, brake line brackets & hardware.
Rear: Lifted coils springs, track bar drop bracket, coil correction plates, cam bolts, brake line relocation brackets & hardware.
Shocks: Features (4) Performance 2.2 series shocks.

Then I was thinking of getting metalcloaks duroflex front upper control arms.

With my metalcloak gift cert, that should cost around $600-650 plus shipping (not sure what forum discounts RC has).

As funds allow I'll get some new rubber (I want 35s, but can get an amazing deal on 33s... so will see). Then swap out all the control arms with metalcloaks duroflex arms.

Can anyone offer some input on this? My friend is using this lift (w/ stock arms) on his 08 JKUR and doesn't have any complaints. I see it as an affordable way to get a lift I won't have to replace any time soon (RC has a life time warranty on their springs), and the MC arms will give me the flex I want.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For all your protection needs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 03-29-2013, 02:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Forget about rough country products, total junk. Get metal cloak springs and be happy. That RC junk will be sagging and lop sided in a few short months.

POISON SPYDER ROCK KRAWLER POLY RCV YUKON AEV TATTON MBRP TERAFLEX BILSTEIN JKS RAMSEY ROCK HARD WURX NEMESIS SPOD RIGID
post #3 of 28 Old 03-29-2013, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjeep95 View Post
Forget about rough country products, total junk. Get metal cloak springs and be happy. That RC junk will be sagging and lop sided in a few short months.
They have a life time guarantee, and RC have promised to replace any springs that sag, etc. Am tempted to give them a shot. Like my said, my buddy here in town has them (about 6 mths now) and hasn't had any issues.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 03-29-2013, 03:19 PM
Rock God

Garage

My Rc springs went from a 4 inch to a 2.5 over the course of a year.
Replaced with poly 4.5s.
I eventually replaced all the Rc stuff with something a little better.
Now I run poly springs, MC arms, fox shocks, JKS front trackbar, Teraflex rear.
Love the way my Frankinlift turned out.

You smell that?
post #5 of 28 Old 03-29-2013, 03:39 PM
Wheeler

When it comes to suspension components, you get what you pay for. It is far easier to get the better components up front, even if it means saving up longer and putting your build off several months...it is cheaper in the end and way less frustrating.
post #6 of 28 Old 03-29-2013, 03:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Let him do what he wants. Sounds like he has his mind made up. See ya in 6 months when your under the jeep again with your new replacement coils.

POISON SPYDER ROCK KRAWLER POLY RCV YUKON AEV TATTON MBRP TERAFLEX BILSTEIN JKS RAMSEY ROCK HARD WURX NEMESIS SPOD RIGID
post #7 of 28 Old 03-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Rock God

I originally bought their 3.25" lift to get me wheelin sooner.

Since then I replaced their TB brackets with Poly front and Clayton rear (axle sides)
replaced their 2.2 shocks with Bilsteins
currently looking to replace the coils. the coils are ok. no noticeable sag

If I can suggest anything...ditch their TB brackets immediately. I have seen multiple of their front frame side break and crack the OEM mount. Seen a couple, including mine, rear frame side bracket hit/damage shocks.

other than that..I looked at it as a stepping stone.

2008 JKU: continual work in progress
post #8 of 28 Old 03-29-2013, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Wow. Maybe holding off might not be a bad idea. Worse case I can see how my buddies holds up.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

Last edited by Riptide; 03-29-2013 at 04:11 PM.
post #9 of 28 Old 03-29-2013, 04:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Wow. Maybe holding off might not be a bad idea.
Now your thinking.

As a matter of fact I have an RC track bar that's 1 year old sitting in my garage. I pulled it off another members jeep and replaced it with a JKS because the heim joint took a shit causing death wobble. Junk.

post #10 of 28 Old 03-29-2013, 04:22 PM
Rock God

You don't need any lift for 33s.

You only need 2.5" extended bumpstops to run 35s with stock flares--so 2.5"-3" springs are plenty.

With flat flares, you can run 35s with stock front bumpstops and 2" rear extended bumpstops--so, 2" or taller springs.

If you are willing to aggressively trim your rear fender fender well pinch seams, with flat flares you can run 37s with 1" front and 2" rear extended bumpstops--so, 2" or taller springs.

Like the others, I'd suggest not buying RC springs, shocks, or brackets.

post #11 of 28 Old 03-29-2013, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post

You only need 2.5" extended bumpstops to run 35s with stock flares--so 2.5"-3" springs are plenty.
I'll be completely honest. Its more for the look over what I need to clear tires. Am still debating if the 1k for 5 new 33s is the direction I want to go in... till I'm ready to lift it and fork out the cash for 35s.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #12 of 28 Old 03-29-2013, 04:30 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I'll be completely honest. Its more for the look over what I need to clear tires. Am still debating if the 1k for 5 new 33s is the direction I want to go in... till I'm ready to lift it and fork out the cash for 35s.
1k for 1" worth of tire? No way imo. stock Rubicon is 32"

2008 JKU: continual work in progress
post #13 of 28 Old 03-29-2013, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-rod17 View Post
1k for 1" worth of tire? No way imo. stock Rubicon is 32"
sadly, up here that's a good deal. 35s will cost close to 2k.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #14 of 28 Old 03-29-2013, 05:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
sadly, up here that's a good deal. 35s will cost close to 2k.
So your telling me there is a $1000 difference between 33s and 35s? You need to shop elsewhere.

post #15 of 28 Old 03-29-2013, 10:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
So your telling me there is a $1000 difference between 33s and 35s? You need to shop elsewhere.
He mentioned in his first post he had a smokin deal on 33's.

And he's in the great white north, nothing comes cheap up there.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #16 of 28 Old 03-29-2013, 10:21 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to warcop

Quote:
Question here. Limited funds and all that. Am looking at a frankin lift. The RC 4" lift. It comes with:
Front: Lifted coil springs, track bar bracket, pitman arm, sway-bar links, brake line brackets & hardware.
Rear: Lifted coils springs, track bar drop bracket, coil correction plates, cam bolts, brake line relocation brackets & hardware.
Shocks: Features (4) Performance 2.2 series shocks.

Then I was thinking of getting metalcloaks duroflex front upper control arms.

With my metalcloak gift cert, that should cost around $600-650 plus shipping (not sure what forum discounts RC has).

As funds allow I'll get some new rubber (I want 35s, but can get an amazing deal on 33s... so will see). Then swap out all the control arms with metalcloaks duroflex arms.

Can anyone offer some input on this? My friend is using this lift (w/ stock arms) on his 08 JKUR and doesn't have any complaints. I see it as an affordable way to get a lift I won't have to replace any time soon (RC has a life time warranty on their springs), and the MC arms will give me the flex I want.

Why don't you just contact Marcus with rivercityoffroad.com and see what kind of deal he can make you. I am building my Jeep on a budget and he has the best prices I have found anywhere + great customer service. I sent him an e-mail one night at about 10PM expecting to get a reply the next day. Nope about 30 min later I get a notification on my phone (which woke my wife up). It was him responding.

Warcop

2012 JKU Sport, Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex, Smittybilt SRC Side Armor, Mesh Grille MOD, Sony Double DIN AV Receiver, Back up Camera, Kicker Speaker Upgrade, ARB Twin Compressor, Dominion Off Road High Lift Mount, Homemade Paracord Grab Handles, Nitto Trail Grapplers, Paramount Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier, KC Hilites Daylighters, under seat lock box, Metal Cloak Front Bumper, BARTACT Seat Covers, BARTACT Sun Shade, x20 Comp Winch, sPOD, ARB Air lockers, 4.10 Gears.
post #17 of 28 Old 03-29-2013, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
I live in northern Canada. Its closer to drive to Alaska than it is to drive to a major center (pop above 40k) in Canada.

5 33x12.5x17 will cost close to $1500 new. 13-1400 if I can get my friend at the tire shop to cut me a deal. 35s will cost 2k new, maybe 17-18 with a deal if I'm lucky. I can't get any shipped up here from the cheap places down south as it's 4-500+ in shipping (I've checked). The joys of living up north.

The 33s my buddy has are 33x13.5x17, he's only had them a few months and he'll move them for 1k. So yes, that's a good deal. The only question is do I want to spend the 1k on 33s before jumping to 35s.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #18 of 28 Old 03-30-2013, 05:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
He mentioned in his first post he had a smokin deal on 33's.

And he's in the great white north, nothing comes cheap up there.
I see that now. I'm thinking a retail vs retail purchase.

post #19 of 28 Old 03-30-2013, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
I see that now. I'm thinking a retail vs retail purchase.
Yeah it would only be about $500 or so difference (depending on what sort of deal I could get) between 33s/35s.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #20 of 28 Old 04-01-2013, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post

With flat flares, you can run 35s with stock front bumpstops and 2" rear extended bumpstops--so, 2" or taller springs.

If you are willing to aggressively trim your rear fender fender well pinch seams, with flat flares you can run 37s with 1" front and 2" rear extended bumpstops--so, 2" or taller springs.

Like the others, I'd suggest not buying RC springs, shocks, or brackets.
LT315/70R17D2 121Q B Hankook DynaPro MT RT03 - they convert out to 34.4 x 12.4". Could I run these on a completely stock rig (I have wheel spacers on)? I know it would limit my flex... but would they fit?

Discount Tire sells these for $266. I could probably get these, and have them mounted for less than $1500. I can either get them shipped to Vancouver or North West Washington around when I'll be down there this summer. They say they have free shipping - which doesn't apply for where I live... but should apply to Vancouver BC, or to NW Washington.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

Last edited by Riptide; 04-01-2013 at 11:19 PM.
post #21 of 28 Old 04-01-2013, 10:03 PM
Granite Guru

I have RC coils for almost 3 years now. No issues and I actually like the ride quality. Maybe I'm just lucky or odd. I did, however, swap out the shocks that came with it. I still use the TB bracket in the rear, discos and extended front brake lines. No issues after about 30k miles and mild offroad. A lifetime warranty isn't worth much if my jeep is on jackstands for over a week, though. Fortunately, hasn't happened.....yet. If it does, I'll replace and sell them and buy something else right away.

Always follow a great leader. In the absence of a great leader, BE ONE.
post #22 of 28 Old 04-01-2013, 10:24 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver_matt View Post
I have RC coils for almost 3 years now. No issues and I actually like the ride quality. Maybe I'm just lucky or odd. I did, however, swap out the shocks that came with it. I still use the TB bracket in the rear, discos and extended front brake lines. No issues after about 30k miles and mild offroad. A lifetime warranty isn't worth much if my jeep is on jackstands for over a week, though. Fortunately, hasn't happened.....yet. If it does, I'll replace and sell them and buy something else right away.

My local shop suggested this kit and one of the guys actually has it on his jk and has for 18 months now with no issues. I rode in it and it rode better than my JK.
post #23 of 28 Old 04-01-2013, 11:36 PM
Rock God

Quote:
LT315/70R17D2 121Q B Hankook DynaPro MT RT03 - they convert out to 34.4 x 12.4". Could I run these on a completely stock rig (I have wheel spacers on)? I know it would limit my flex... but would they fit?

Discount Tire sells these for $266. I could probably get these, and have them mounted for less than $1500. I can either get them shipped to Vancouver or North West Washington around when I'll be down there this summer. They say they have free shipping - which doesn't apply for where I live... but should apply to Vancouver BC, or to NW Washington.
You could run 315/70R17s with flat flares, generous trimming of the rear fender well pinch seam, 1" rear extended bumpstops, and 1.5" wheel spacers.

post #24 of 28 Old 04-02-2013, 06:27 AM
JKO Addict!

If you are lifting for looks trimming the fenders will give the look of about a 4" lift and it will be free and not mess with the suspension or steering geometry.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #25 of 28 Old 04-02-2013, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
If you are lifting for looks trimming the fenders will give the look of about a 4" lift and it will be free and not mess with the suspension or steering geometry.
I know... but I'm not really a fan of the trimmed fenders. Cheap and effective... but something I'd rather avoid if possible.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode