Superchip for manual trans - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-28-2013, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Superchip for manual trans

What will a superchip do for 2009 JK unlimited manual trans with 4.56 gear and 285/75R 17 Toyo A/T II tires? When going up on inclines in 6th gear at 65 mph with foot to floor doesn't seem right. I'm starting to think I have power trans / engine problems?

Rob Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-28-2013, 09:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Downshifting will help.

6th is an overdrive gear. Having to downshift every once in a while when going up steep hills at speed is perfectly normal. People seem to believe JKs should be able to accelerate uphill in 6th gear going 10mph. You dont have engine/tranny problems. A superchips would help somewhat with power gains.

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #3 of 9 Old 03-28-2013, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yea, I do to maintain. 5th doesn't have much power as well.

Rob Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-28-2013, 09:42 PM
JKO Addict!

I have an 08 w a six speed and i dont have power in any gear....

Is this thing on?

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #5 of 9 Old 03-28-2013, 09:49 PM
Rock God

I have a 10 jku six speed and adding the superchips was a noticeable difference. Not going to say a power difference but definitely drive ability. Hard to explain but with your tire change and gearing change you should definitely pick one up.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-28-2013, 09:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercmech View Post
What will a superchip do for 2009 JK unlimited manual trans with 4.56 gear and 285/75R 17 Toyo A/T II tires? When going up on inclines in 6th gear at 65 mph with foot to floor doesn't seem right. I'm starting to think I have power trans / engine problems?

Rob Hunter
We had an '09 2dr 6spd Rubi that I used a Flashpaq on. It was bone stock but using the Flashpaq on Tow Tune and running it on 91 octane improved seat of the pants feel. The Jeep was my wife's before it was mine, she hadn't driven it in forever and took it out sometime after I flashed it. When she came back she asked what I did to the Jeep because if felt like it drove better, like it didn't struggle road.

In a nut shell, whether the Flashpaq or other tuner, it's worth the money.

Side note, are your tires Load Range C, D or E? Do you know how much they weigh? For what ever reason I'm thinking because they're Toyo's that they are a heavy tire and that is certainly working against you even with a re-gear.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-28-2013, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Even worth it with a manual trans?

Rob Hunter
post #8 of 9 Old 03-28-2013, 10:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercmech View Post
Even worth it with a manual trans?

Rob Hunter

IMO, yes.

You can play around to see what works best for you, but I ran the tow tune the entire time I used it. To me it was noticeable rowing through the gears, it did seem to struggle as much, especially in first and second gears. Up top, no matter what you'll need to down shift on any grade. Heck I get that now in our '12 Rubi with a 6sp.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-29-2013, 04:52 AM
JKO Addict!

6th gear is an overdrive gear, it's not intended for accelerating, rather maintaining a speed...Any other V6 vehicle would downshift. Regearing is torque multiplication, it doesn't add a lick of horsepower. So when you're regearing you trade rpm for speed [mph], it will generally drive better..but you really aren't going to accelerate much faster.

Consider regearing when it comes to 1/4 mile racing, when changing nothing else, is usually dead equal elapsed times. Where the re-gearing picks up the low end/hole shot, the lack of shifting and long end mph of the non-regeared run will be faster. You aren't making any more power. Regearing gives the feeling of speed because the low end torque and the engine making more noise, but the mph isn't there any more for the same given rpm...however that's what makes it better for crawling and "normal" driving.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 03-29-2013 at 05:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode