Ford 5.0 Swap? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 03-28-2013, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Ford 5.0 Swap?

I'm giving up on finding an LS 350... Seems they are worth more than their weight in gold. My old man has a running 99 Chevy pickup with the 4.3 and 700R4 etc that he said I can have... But, in my mind, the Jeep 3.8 & Chevy 4.3 are too comparative in numbers... With that being said, I can get a Vortec 350 for an ok price but, when all said and done, I can source a nicely built 5.0 that originally came out of an exploder. Guy said its the same motor as the Mustang GT with the heads being the only exception. Obviously I haven't looked it up... But, seeing how common the 5.0 swap was in the CJ community why hasn't it carried over to the JK's? Electronics? I'm seriously looking into gathering the parts for a 5.0 swap. I understand that their will be lots of work needed regardless which route I decide take..... Looking for thoughts, reasoning, areas of concerns... Yadda yadda. (Side note, I'm a Chevy guy thinking about running a Ford.... hey, there are A LOT of "me too" cars so good/cheap performance parts are everywhere).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-28-2013, 04:33 PM
Rock God

The 5.0 is narrower and lighter than iron block Chevy... Not sure about the LS. I actually am in the same boat- my JK's engine sunk, and I have a daily driver. FUCK YOU CANBUS- BRING ME A MOFO CARB'D V8

Soon to be a vendor!!!
Looking for a good Rat Rod JK donor vehicle.
post #3 of 21 Old 03-28-2013, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I'm looking at http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...ine-swaps.html and making my list.... Electronics.... Thinking about completely gutting the JK and running Ford Everything. Highly doubt it'll pass new emissions crap in NY though. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 03-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Rock God

Dude- go to the library and get a book by Richard Holdner on small block Fords... every friggin recipe you can think of- including the GT40 setup you have access too- which the heads are good, but the intake wouldnt work on most Fox bodies and SN-95s.

Thans for the link- because when insurance pays for a shitty used 3.8 and TIPM I am going V8. Dollar for dollar, I have to compare prices/value with a $500 LS 5.3.

Soon to be a vendor!!!
post #5 of 21 Old 03-28-2013, 05:27 PM
JKowners Vendor

IMO bad idea.....its not that hard to find a LS..see them for $500, I just picked up a LC9 and a 6L80e with 800 miles for $3500.

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 Old 03-28-2013, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Performance, Inc View Post
IMO bad idea.....its not that hard to find a LS..see them for $500, I just picked up a LC9 and a 6L80e with 800 miles for $3500.
Here in the Hampton Roads area they're asking top dollar for high mileage motors. Why do you feel that the 5.0 swap is a bad idea?
post #7 of 21 Old 03-28-2013, 06:00 PM
Rock God

Yeah- I have alot of love for the 5.3L and the $500 price tage. WIth that level of TQ I could run a 4L60/E.

Hell- I will run WTFE I need to to use the most I can from what I own with the least of what I dont.

Soon to be a vendor!!!
post #8 of 21 Old 03-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Rock God

No street legal vehicle will have an engine older than the chassis.

Soon to be a vendor!!!
post #9 of 21 Old 03-28-2013, 06:07 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepmods View Post
Here in the Hampton Roads area they're asking top dollar for high mileage motors. Why do you feel that the 5.0 swap is a bad idea?
Heavy, and no support to integrate into a JK.

Same guy I bought mine from had 80k 5.3's for $500

Just a FYI shipping isn't that big of a deal its costing me $430 to ship from Indiana to Nevada...so shipping for you wouldn't be any more I would think.

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 21 Old 03-28-2013, 06:08 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeucesALLin View Post
Yeah- I have alot of love for the 5.3L and the $500 price tage. WIth that level of TQ I could run a 4L60/E.

Hell- I will run WTFE I need to to use the most I can from what I own with the least of what I dont.
WTF???

post #11 of 21 Old 03-29-2013, 10:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Around here, the LS 5.3 is MUCH cheaper and more available than the Ford 5.0. There is also technology readily available to make the LS electronics work with the JK, something I do not believe is available for the 5.0. Also, transmission choices are better for the LS and the aftermarket is more extensive.

I have a chevy powered buggy and drive a ford truck every day, so not a fan-boy of either.
post #12 of 21 Old 03-29-2013, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

How much difference is their from a TJ harness/electronics compared to a JK? In my mind, I'm thinking they share the same or similar engines/drivetrain components etc... Not sure about the "safety" shit... ESP/BAS etc. Fuck it, time to start pulling info on the JK wiring schematics.... Anybody have quick links on the JK wiring? I'll be the JK 5.0 test platform. Jeep is going on the stands for the next couple of months anyway.
post #13 of 21 Old 03-29-2013, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I took a sh!t ton of pics from under the hood... And looking under the hood of my buddies Ford F250... Everything looks similar. I need to check under the hood of a few TJs.
post #14 of 21 Old 03-29-2013, 06:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyWalker

Maybe Ford swaps are a regional thing... I would guess that the ratio of CJs with V8 swaps is about 25 chevys to 1 ford in East NC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Did you just search for "gay" or "halo" and bump those threads?
post #15 of 21 Old 03-29-2013, 10:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepmods View Post
How much difference is their from a TJ harness/electronics compared to a JK? In my mind, I'm thinking they share the same or similar engines/drivetrain components etc....
Nope
post #16 of 21 Old 03-29-2013, 11:43 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Everyone here pretty much covered it, unless you want to get into stand alone ECU territory, and then you can kiss street driving it good bye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #17 of 21 Old 03-30-2013, 05:15 AM
Rock God

Would be cool If someone swapped in the new vvt 5.0 412 HP and 390 tq
post #18 of 21 Old 03-30-2013, 12:17 PM
Rock God

You could run a mega squirt, and any of the gabizillion 5.0 tunes... but its CanBus dude. You would have to gut everything, including ABS and gauges.

And as stated above- NO VEHICLE CAN HAVE AN ENGINE THAT PRE-DATES THE CHASSIS. The nomenclature changes from state to state- but in a nutshell your vehicle is required to meet the same emissions standards as it rolled off the line.

Am 80's era pushrod will belch out 80's era emissions. FAIL.

Soon to be a vendor!!!
post #19 of 21 Old 03-30-2013, 12:21 PM
Rock God

WIDTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Lady View Post
Would be cool If someone swapped in the new vvt 5.0 412 HP and 390 tq
... The entire DOHC and even SOCH lineups are awesome- but soooooo wide. I love them. I mean 700ft lbs from bolt ons for factory s/c SOHC 5.4s! And the blocks, even aluminum, will handle 1,000HP.

But there is a reason people prefer the LS/ Gen IV: packaging.

Soon to be a vendor!!!
post #20 of 21 Old 03-30-2013, 12:37 PM
V8 dreams

what does he mean by 'nicely built'? and what year is it?

2010 Silver JKU
post #21 of 21 Old 03-30-2013, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hmmm, interesting points.... Yall are taking my sunshine away. LOL
It's a late 97 5.0 w/GT40P heads 10.5:1 full float race pistons forged rods aftermarket cam 1.6 roller rockers... Thing sounds Nice!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode