2012 Nemesis Evap relocation. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-25-2013, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

2012-2013 Nemesis Evap relocation.

Just wanted to let everyone know on the 2012-2013 JK when using the Nemesis evap relocation kit you have to turn the ESID(the Evaporative System Integrity Detector which is the white Polymer module that is mounted to the Evap Canister) 180 degrees or it will give you a P0440 evap failure code. It is a great kit but that wasn't in the instructions. I was going crazy thinking I installed something wrong. Thought it might be a leak, but turns out that module can only be mounted one direction. It's not a problem on the 2007-2011, but on the 2012 they flip the canister over to mount it.
Attached Images

Last edited by jason mac; 03-25-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-25-2013, 04:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Cool fix. Thanks for the info. Let Nemesis know too if you haven't already.

Originally Posted by van7559
I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
post #3 of 12 Old 03-25-2013, 04:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm glad you sorted this out!

I can't wait until mine arrives as well as my exhaust so the Jeep will stop sounding like a strange bumblebee

Info:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-25-2013, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Yes it was getting very frustrating. Good old internet searching and it's all good.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-13-2013, 09:40 AM
Wheeler

I just installed the Nemesis relocation kit a few days ago and just started to get the P0456 code and the gas cap message. I ended up buying one of the first kits produced so it didn't state anything about having to flip the ESIM. I'll try to flip it tonight and see if that fixes the code.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-15-2013, 05:01 AM
Wheeler

Well I flipped the ESID and made sure the rubber washer was there and installed correctly when I put it back on. I still am getting the stupid gas cap message.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Wheeler

I did this install last night and couldn't figure out how to flip the module over? Does it come out of the canister?
post #8 of 12 Old 10-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Wheeler

Yeah it comes out of the canister. I don't recall exactly how it comes off though. For some reason I think there is a little tab between the sensor and canister that you have to push it while turning the ESID.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-17-2013, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

True. There is a release tap. You have to pry it up and turn the module.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-13-2014, 04:28 PM
Granite Guru

Location: Cave Creek, AZ to Fayetteville, AR, back to Scottsdale, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason mac View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know on the 2012-2013 JK when using the Nemesis evap relocation kit you have to turn the ESID(the Evaporative System Integrity Detector which is the white Polymer module that is mounted to the Evap Canister) 180 degrees or it will give you a P0440 evap failure code. It is a great kit but that wasn't in the instructions. I was going crazy thinking I installed something wrong. Thought it might be a leak, but turns out that module can only be mounted one direction. It's not a problem on the 2007-2011, but on the 2012 they flip the canister over to mount it.
....a year later, your post kept me from having the same problem with my '12 JK Limo. No error codes. Thanks!

Unfortunately, Nemesis still doesn't mention the issue in their online install instructions.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-30-2016, 06:13 PM
Wheeler

Nemesis is still not getting it

Nemesis needs to update their instructions. The picture of the bracket did not match what was sent. Turns out I have what they are calling a universal kit. This is what they are now supplying.
My install:
I just did the Nemesis evap relo kit and even called them to check on flipping the ESID before installing it. The guy did not know and said try it without flipping, if I get a code, flip it. Hindsight, I should have known better than to trust a manufacturer and trust my fellow communities experience over all. So now that it is installed, will I have to lower the whole thing to flip the ESID? Anybody got a pic of the release tab I am looking for while flipping it? Anyone have a tips for this?
My tips:
The drivers side main bolt on the bracket did not have a factory hole they were referring to. I used a 1/4X20 self tapper on that side since two 3/8" bolts seemed a bit overkill and saved me from having to drill the hole and get the dang washer and bolt started on top of the cross member. For the one 3/8" main bolt, I used green painters tape to tape the bolt to the washer while getting it started. This still allowed a wrench to go over the bolt once installed. That worked well.

2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock
CA4WD - Drifter's Jeep Club Member - US Army VFW
aka Buckley Built
Jeeps owned: 1945 Willy CJ2A - 427ci Sand Jeep, 2003 Rubicon, 1985 CJ7, 3 XJs, currently on Jeep #7.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-30-2016, 06:26 PM
Wheeler

Evap system/relocation

If I had found this before relocating the Evap Canister, I could have figured out that the ESID would need to be flipped. Good stuff for anyone tracking down a code on the evap system.

The ESIM (Evaporative System Integrity Monitor) is very similar to the NVLD. However, the design of the ESIM has been simplified and unlike the NVLD the ESIM does not require a solenoid. The ESIM mounts directly to the canister, eliminating the need for a mounting bracket. It is critical that the ESIM is mounted vertically. On vehicles where the canister is mounted on an angle, the ESIM requires an adaptor to maintain a vertical position. When the ESIM is installed vertically, the electrical connector is in the 3 o'clock position.

The ESIM assembly consists of a housing, a small weight and a large weight that serve as check valves, a diaphragm, a switch and a cover. There is one large weight and one small weight check valve in the ESIM assembly. A seal is attached at the end of each weighted check valve. The large weight check valve seals for pressure. The small weight check valve seals for vacuum. The weighted check valves are contained within the ESIM housing.

The ESIM (Evaporative System Integrity Monitor), while physically different than the NVLD system, performs the same basic function as the NVLD does - controlling evaporative emissions. The ESIM has been simplified because the solenoid used on the NVLD is not used on the ESIM.

The ESIM consists of housing, two check valves (sometimes referred to as weights), a diaphragm, a switch and a cover. The larger check valve seals for pressure and the smaller one seals for vacuum.

During refueling, pressure is built up in the evaporative system. When pressure reaches approximately.5 inches of water, the large check valve unseats and pressure vents to the fresh air filter.

Conversely, when the system cools, and the resulting vacuum lifts the small check valve from its seat and allows fresh air to enter the system and relieves the vacuum condition. When a calibrated amount of vacuum is achieved in the evaporative system, the diaphragm is pulled inward, pushing on the spring and closing the contacts.

The ESIM conducts tests on the evaporative system as follows: An engine off, non-intrusive test for small leaks and an engine running, intrusive test for medium/large leaks.

The ESIM weights seal the evap. system during engine off conditions. If the evap. system is sealed, it will be pulled into a vacuum, either due to the cool down from operating temperature or during ambient temperature cycling. When the vacuum in the system exceeds about 1" H20, the vacuum switch closes. The switch closure sends a signal to the PCM. In order to pass the non-intrusive small leak test, the ESIM switch must close within a calculated amount of time and within a specified amount of key-off events.

If the ESIM switch does not close as specified, the test is considered inconclusive and the intrusive engine running test will be run during the next key-on cycle. This intrusive test will run on the next cold engine running condition.

Conditions for running the intrusive test are:

After the vehicle is started, the engine coolant temperature must be within 50F (10C) of ambient to indicate a cold start.
The fuel level must be between 12% and 88%.
The engine must be in closed loop.
Manifold vacuum must be greater than a minimum specified value.
Ambient temperature must be between 39F and 98F (4C and 37C) and the elevation level must be below 8500 feet (2591 meters).

The test is accomplished by the PCM activating the purge solenoid to create a vacuum in the evaporative system. The PCM then measures the amount of time it takes for the vacuum to dissipate. This is known as the vacuum decay method. If the switch opens quickly a large leak is recorded. If the switch opens after a predetermined amount of time, then the small leak matures. If the switch does not close, then a general evaporative failure is recorded. The purge monitor tests the integrity of the hose attached between the purge valve and throttle body/intake. The purge monitor is a two stage test and it runs only after the evaporative system passes the small leak test.

Even when all of the thresholds are met, a small leak won't be recorded until after the medium/large leak monitor has been run. This is accomplished by the PCM activating the purge solenoid to create a vacuum in the evaporative system. The PCM then measures the amount of time it takes for the vacuum to dissipate. This is known as the vacuum decay method. If the switch opens quickly a large leak is recorded. If the switch opens after a predetermined amount of time, then the small leak matures. If the medium/large leak test runs and the ESIM switch doesn't close, a general evaporative test is run. The purge solenoid is activated for approximately 10 seconds, increasing the amount of vacuum in the system. If the ESIM switch closes after the extended purge activation, a large leak fault is generated. If the switch doesn't close, a general evaporative system fault is generated.

The purge monitor tests the integrity of the hose attached between the purge valve and throttle body/intake. The purge monitor is a two stage test and it runs only after the evaporative system passes the small leak test.

Stage one of the purge monitor is non-intrusive. The PCM monitors the purge vapor ratio. If the ratio is above a calibrated specification, the monitor passes. Stage two is an intrusive test and it runs only if stage one fails. During the stage two test, the PCM commands the purge solenoid to flow at a specified rate to force the purge vapor ratio to update. The vapor ratio is compared to a calibrated specification and if it is less than specified, a one-trip failure is recorded.

The ESIM switch stuck closed monitor checks if the switch is stuck closed. This is a power down test that runs at key-off; when the PCM sees 0 rpm's, the purge solenoid is energized for a maximum of 30 seconds, venting any vacuum trapped in the evaporative system. If the switch opens or was open before the test began, the monitor passes. If the switch doesn't open, the monitor fails. This is a two-trip MIL. The star scan tool can be used to force the ESIM switch stuck closed monitor to run.

The PCM also uses the ESIM to detect a loose or missing gas cap. The PCM controller looks for a change in the fuel level (25% minimum). If a medium/large leak is detected, the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illuminates and a pending one-trip fault code is set. On the PCM, this is a three-trip fault before the code matures.

2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock
CA4WD - Drifter's Jeep Club Member - US Army VFW
aka Buckley Built
Jeeps owned: 1945 Willy CJ2A - 427ci Sand Jeep, 2003 Rubicon, 1985 CJ7, 3 XJs, currently on Jeep #7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode