What To Put Between Corner Armor and Body? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-22-2013, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

What To Put Between Corner Armor and Body?

So I just finished up my full rear corners, and am stuck at what to do between the armor and the body. Once they are on, they won't be coming back off unless I mangle one and need to replace it.
Options:
1. Nothing- Corners are powdercoated. Put a fresh coat of wax on the body and bolt them on. This will allow water and dirt in, but also allow it to drain out.
2. Silicone- Apply silicone to every edge, and around every bolt hole. My concern is that I wouldn't get it 100% sealed, and what moisture does get in couldn't get out.
3. Grease- I did this on a truck I put bushwacker flares on. Spread grease on the body to prevent rust. The downside is that this will attract dirt and grit, and trap it.
4. Silicone-2... Only apply silicone to the top edge. I have PSC corners that wrap the top edge, so this will prevent water coming in from the top, but still allow drainage from the bottom.

Any other ideas??????

I'm looking to get these on this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-22-2013, 08:20 AM
Rock God

Plastidip the inner side of the armor. That is what I am going to do to mine. You could also clear plastidip the body panel prior to putting the armor on. I am going to plastidip my OR Fabs when I finally have time to install them. Even though I have the liners, I think plastidip will work better.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-22-2013, 09:07 AM
JKO Addict!

I chose Option 1 when I did mine.

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-22-2013, 09:29 AM
Rock God

Garage
Re: What To Put Between Corner Armor and Body?

I ran some silicone along the top edge of the corner, it helps give it a finished look. I left the bottom without in case and water get in there it has somewhere to drain.

I learned over the years contracting in poultry plants there is no way to keep the water out, impossible. Gotta give it somewhere to go.

post #5 of 10 Old 03-22-2013, 09:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm not sure what its called but I found this thin rubber stuff at Lowes that I think is used in shower or tub installation. Its on a big roll and you just have them cut what you need. It works great. I have removed things like a pillar light mounts on my old jk without the rubber and the body was starting to rust underneath.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
post #6 of 10 Old 03-22-2013, 09:58 AM
JKO Addict!

I run silicone about an inch down from the edge around the sides and top of the part. Lets moisture get out the bottom, but dirt/crap isn't as likely to get in. Being 1" down you don't have to look at the silicone, but any debris will clean out easy with a hose.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
I ran some silicone along the top edge of the corner, it helps give it a finished look. I left the bottom without in case and water get in there it has somewhere to drain.

I learned over the years contracting in poultry plants there is no way to keep the water out, impossible. Gotta give it somewhere to go.
Yep.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Rock God

Get the rubber moulding with adhesive backing. Picked mine up at Ace, comes in different lengths and widths. Worked great the first time with my smittybilt fenders and the second time when I went with metalcloaks. Clean install without the silicone mess. Keeps the water and dirt from between the body and corners.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to rerard2 Send a message via Yahoo to rerard2

You guys got pics of any of this stuff? Curious to see what it ends up looking like, I'ld like to clean up the look of my corners a bit.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-22-2013, 12:50 PM
Rock God

Sure. Here's some pics of the stuff. It's just a seal between the body and metal, so not anything really to take a pic of installed.

Last edited by highwayman; 09-14-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode