Initial Trimming for 40's wit a 4.5 inch lift - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Initial Trimming for 40's wit a 4.5 inch lift

I have a 4.5" kit and 37"s on the wifes Unlimited, and yesterday went to 40's. I've cut the pinch seam, ditched the stock bumpers, replaced the upper and lower rear arms and extended the rear out an inch, and added 1.5" front wheel spacers. I also have a 3/4 spring spacer set on the bench.

The guy at the shop called and said when moving it, it seemed to be hitting the stock side steps, at least, I pick it up today. I need to go over this tonight so the wife's set and ready to drive it when I go away for work Thursday.

I'm not worried about making them fit, or cutting anything but any insight on where to start, what will definately have to go, would be great. I went through a bunch of threadss but there's Sooo much info. We spend 90% of our time on the beach, so not a lot of articulation needed.

Thanks!

Thx

Todd
2007 Unlimited
40 Toyo Open Countrys on Workz Rims
OrFab Rear Bumper, Smittybilt Front
Cree Light Bar
7.5 Long Arm Lift
Synergy Front Suspension
Artec Front JK Armor
5:13's
Tom Woods Drive Shafts
Hi-Lift & Much More
&
2000 TJ
6" lift
37 TOYO MT's on Worx Rims
$hitty Built bumpers
Air Raid
Bushwhacker Flairs & Trail Armour
Corbeau Baja RS seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 06:55 AM
Granite Guru

I'm in for this, 40s on the way

2012 JKU, stock for now, but gathering parts
post #3 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 08:25 AM
Rock God

I haven't cut anything in the front. I have only put the grinder to the body mounts and the fender supports. In the rear you are going to have a fair amount of work. There is a lot to be trimmed on the rear of the wheel opening. It requires welding to.

Here is a picture showing the final result. The factory opening is about 3-4" forward of my opening now. Those are 39" BFG Krawlers for reference.

09 Rubicon Unlimited on 42's with some stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks Abadjeeper, so no issues going lock to lock in the front? We're running the stock plastic steps, the guy at the shop said they we're rubbing when he backed it out, I'll know more this afternoon when I pick it up. My main goal is to get it so the wife can drive it with no major issues till I come back Sunday and can spend some time on it.

Thanks

Todd
2007 Unlimited
Cree Light Bar
7.5 Long Arm Lift
Synergy Front Suspension
Artec Front JK Armor
Tom Woods Drive Shafts
Hi-Lift & Much More
&
2000 TJ
6" lift
$hitty Built bumpers
Air Raid
Corbeau Baja RS seats

Last edited by upalms; 01-25-2014 at 04:19 PM.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 09:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Trim those fenders and ditch the batman front bumper.

POISON SPYDER • ROCK KRAWLER • POLY • RCV • YUKON • AEV • TATTON • MBRP • TERAFLEX • BILSTEIN • JKS • RAMSEY • ROCK HARD • WURX • NEMESIS • SPOD • RIGID
post #6 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 09:08 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abadjeeper View Post
I haven't cut anything in the front. I have only put the grinder to the body mounts and the fender supports. In the rear you are going to have a fair amount of work. There is a lot to be trimmed on the rear of the wheel opening. It requires welding to.

Here is a picture showing the final result. The factory opening is about 3-4" forward of my opening now. Those are 39" BFG Krawlers for reference.
What size bumpstops are your running man. I've got some 39" reds in the garage now. I'm running 70" WMS axles with 4" backspaced wheels so its pretty wide.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 11:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

Could you elaborate a little on what you cut and what you welded in the rear wheel well? I've got 37's, not 40's but would like to trip a little more in this exact area.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #8 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 11:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by upalms View Post
Thanks Abadjeeper, so no issues going lock to lock in the front? We're running the stock plastic steps, the guy at the shop said they we're rubbing when he backed it out, I'll know more this afternoon when I pick it up. My main goal is to get it so the wife can drive it with no major issues till I come back Sunday and can spend some time on it.

Thanks
upalms, you will be hitting that bumper pretty quick with any wheel turn and uptravel...a stubby bumper would be a big help because you won't get anywhere near full stuff with those wheels turned before you make contact. I know said beach stuff only but it will happen.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #9 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 12:53 PM
Rock God

To the OP. After seeing a picture of your rig you are going to have a lot of work to do. I'm going to guess on small bumps you are going to be rubbing in the back and in the front you are going to run into interference with your front bumper and frame. I'm running 3" of back spacing on my wheels and a stubby bumper. I clear the frame in the front by a 1/2" but my Hyrdo assist limits me to within an 1/8 of an inch of the steering stop. Warm up your sawzall and grinder.

As to the other questions about trimming it is kinda hard to explain but what I did was cut the fender to match the bumper line then there is a part of the inner fender that is on an angle forward. I bent that back to meet the outside of the fender and then welded it and ground it smooth. Basically it is all the way back to the vertical divider wall. I really don't have anymore I can trim without getting into building custom fenders. I'm running about a 3" bump stop in the rear.

post #10 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Rock God

Quote:
To the OP. After seeing a picture of your rig you are going to have a lot of work to do. I'm going to guess on small bumps you are going to be rubbing in the back and in the front you are going to run into interference with your front bumper and frame. I'm running 3" of back spacing on my wheels and a stubby bumper. I clear the frame in the front by a 1/2" but my Hyrdo assist limits me to within an 1/8 of an inch of the steering stop. Warm up your sawzall and grinder.

As to the other questions about trimming it is kinda hard to explain but what I did was cut the fender to match the bumper line then there is a part of the inner fender that is on an angle forward. I bent that back to meet the outside of the fender and then welded it and ground it smooth. Basically it is all the way back to the vertical divider wall. I really don't have anymore I can trim without getting into building custom fenders. I'm running about a 3" bump stop in the rear.
How hard would it be to run 2.75 teraflex bumpstops with the 39s. I've seen a guy run them with 40s
post #11 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 12:59 PM
Rock God

Here is a picture the day I put the 39's on. This was with it trimmed to clear 37's. You can see from my pictures above were I removed more material from the back side of the opening. I have it set so that it just kisses the plastic all the way around at full articulation.

post #12 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Lady View Post
How hard would it be to run 2.75 teraflex bumpstops with the 39s. I've seen a guy run them with 40s
In the back or front? I run them in the front with a hockey puck on the lower spring mount.

post #13 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Rock God

Quote:
In the back or front? I run them in the front with a hockey puck on the lower spring mount.
Both front and rear I think there 2.5 or 2.75. I'm running 37s with them now.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 01:13 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Lady View Post
Both front and rear I think there 2.5 or 2.75. I'm running 37s with them now.
Every setup is different. I ran BFG KM2's in 37's and then switched out to the Krawlers which actually measure a true 39". This made them close to 4" bigger.

If I were in your shoes I would flex it until it is on the bump stop and see what kinda room you have left and that will tell you if you have the room for the tires you want to run.

post #15 of 15 Old 03-21-2013, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Broke out the die cutter, a couple of fresh disks and a BFH, seems good for now, still have to work on the front, but it's good and drivable now, I'll go over everything again when I get back, I'll have the whole day Sunday and I'll get a well needed break on my other project

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9834165...7632711385539/

BTW anyone trim their stock steps? just wondering how to fill the hole, I'm thinking about sectioning a couple inches out and somehow bonding it back together to give it a finished look and so it doesn't fill up with crap

Todd
2007 Unlimited
Cree Light Bar
7.5 Long Arm Lift
Synergy Front Suspension
Artec Front JK Armor
Tom Woods Drive Shafts
Hi-Lift & Much More
&
2000 TJ
6" lift
$hitty Built bumpers
Air Raid
Corbeau Baja RS seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode