2013 JK with Death Wobble - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 03-18-2013, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

2013 JK with Death Wobble

Hello all,

I have a 2013 JK with 4000 miles and a 4" RC lift kit Bilstein shocks and stabilizer. I have been searching for two months for a fix on full blown DW. I have had four instances where I have had to pull over to a speed of 15 mph for the violent shaking to stop. It will happen at speeds around 55mph and up on rough roads or a bump on either front wheels. Been back to the dealer two times and to the alignment shop twice also. Alignment print out reads factory stetting's. They have replaced the gear box because it had 1/8" of play and told me it fixed it. On the way home same issue DW again. I have tried everything from unbolting control arms, checking trackbar for oval holes, rotating tires, checking ball joints, tie rods, and using a click wrench to torque bolts.

Today the only play I can find is still in the gear box sector shaft. I put a straight edge on the frame and had someone turn the wheel and it will pull away from it 1/8" and return to zero when turning the wheel back. You can lay under the truck and see the sector shaft moving sideways. I also find when driving down the road I find the steering wheel is not always centered, it will be out 3/8" in either direction or sometimes centered.

Question what am I missing?

What is acceptable play in a gear box?

I have got to the point that all I do while I'm sleeping is dreaming what the hell is the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 03-18-2013, 08:20 PM

Make sure you document everything in case you have to take it back under the lemon law, I had a 2008 and Chrysler had to buy it back under the lemon law and it was all about documentation, good luck with the DW
post #3 of 28 Old 03-18-2013, 08:21 PM
JKO Addict!

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30723

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 03-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Wheeler

What's the wheel/tire combo? I've got a buddy that has a set of 35" MTRs on stock wheels and the Jeep shakes bad. Throw on a set of Iroks with aftermarket wheels and it drives like a dream.

2009 Rubicon Unlimited: A mix of Teraflex and Currie with a little Poly thrown in, on 36s.

Mo' Doors, Mo' Problems
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 28 Old 03-18-2013, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the quick reply. I forgot to add that I have not at this point changed wheel or tires, still stock equipment.
post #6 of 28 Old 03-18-2013, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

However, I did watch both videos the only thing I have not tried is changing out the bolt size.
post #7 of 28 Old 03-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1954 View Post
Make sure you document everything in case you have to take it back under the lemon law, I had a 2008 and Chrysler had to buy it back under the lemon law and it was all about documentation, good luck with the DW
I don't believe the lemon law will help here since the suspension was modified by him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisguyhasadd42 View Post
This is the bible for DW and shimmies around here.

Good luck...

2011 Sahara Tan Rubicon 6 Speed
TR HD17 Beadlocks, BFGoodrich A/T KO2 34x10.50R17, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Clayton 2.5" Overland Plus Lift, and more to come...
post #8 of 28 Old 03-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Granite Guru

Re: 2013 JK with Death Wobble

Did you install the lift? Did you get the kit with arms or cam bolts? Can bolts move. .. need more info. Did you get it properly aligned after the lift by a shop who knows how to work with cam bolts? What is your caster at? Did you retorque everything after the initial break in?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
post #9 of 28 Old 03-18-2013, 09:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Re: 2013 JK with Death Wobble

4" lift w stock tires??!!

Is this thing on?

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #10 of 28 Old 03-18-2013, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yes I installed the lift with cam bolts. I have had two different shops align it. The caster is +4.5 and 4.8 Toe 1/8th" I don't want to install 35s till DW has been figured out. I had a 2011 with no DW problems and bought a 2013 transferred the lift kit and now dealing with DW.
post #11 of 28 Old 03-18-2013, 09:26 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Double check to make sure the right size bolt is in the correct hole. I had (no shit) put an 1/2" bolt in my upper track bar mount and lower track bar mount. This was due to, too many hands in the pot putting in my lift. Bolts and parts and tools went all over the place. Took it to a shop to explain and it was as simple as putting a 9/16" bolt in the 2 front track bar mounts. DW was gone instantly.

LOD Rock Sliders, PSC rear bumper w/tire carrier and Brawler lite front bumper w/stinger, GenRight Alum Fenders, XRC 10 winch w/Viking Synthetic Line, RI 10" E-Series light, 4 D2 lights, 2 SR-M series, ARB front/rear air lockers, ARB compressor, Rock Krawler 3.5" MTS w/Blistein 5100 shocks 35" BFG KM2's on M/T Side Bitter Rims
post #12 of 28 Old 03-18-2013, 11:08 PM
Wheeler

Planman did a good write up. I'd jack it up, loosen everything and retorque.
post #13 of 28 Old 03-19-2013, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

OK the plan now is to replace the factory track bar with a Rubicon express adjustable. Remove the RC drop pitman arm to a factory arm. Remove the RC track bar relocation bracket and return the track bar to the factory location also. I will let you know what happens.
post #14 of 28 Old 03-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Granite Guru

If you have verified everything in Planman's thread then try these next few items. It helped me.

First, verify that your track bar and drag link are parallel to each other. With my Metal Cloak lift, a dropped trackbar bracket is not needed. Nor is a Draglink flip kit.

Second, get a kit to reinforce the steering box sector shaft. I went with the Poly Trackbar brace with sector shaft support. But there are other options available as well.

Third, upgrade your draglink. Many options out there.

These 3 things resolved my DW issue after I had followed the DW thread posted above and checked everything else. As of right now I am still running w/o a stabilizer. It really is not needed on my setup. I may add one at some point, but its not a priority.
post #15 of 28 Old 03-19-2013, 08:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Bad draglink end at the knuckle, too much toe in, bad track bar bushings/ovaled out bolt hole. I bet it will turn out to be one of those 3 things

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #16 of 28 Old 03-19-2013, 10:42 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1954 View Post
I'm a certified Chrysler tech at a dealership & lemon law doesn't apply to modified vehicles. We can even tell you to return it to original factory state before we would even mess with it for DW under warranty.

I do all of our lift installs & we do 2" Skyjacker spacer lifts w/shocks, steering dampener & extended end links w/33" tires & the other lift we do is the Mopar Stage 3 3" lift w/35" tires. I also do the Mopar Stage 3 4" lift on Rams w/37" tires. The Ram kit is a bit of a pain to do. I haven't had 1 come back for DW in the last 3yrs since we started doing them again, knock on wood. Most DW I have found is usually trackbar or caster angle issues. The Mopar Stage 3 lift kit doesn't even replace or relocate the front track bar & it only replaces the front lower control arms & they look to be the exact same length as the factory arms when held side by side. The kit doesn't even include a HD steering dampener either. We put a matching Fox dampener on the ones we do though.

I do know that the 2012 & 2013 uses a different kit then 2011s do. Not sure if they are actually different but the kits do have different part numbers.

I prefer adjustable track bars over relocation brackets & adjustable lower control arms over eccentric bolt kits if I have to put something on a customer's jeep for DW issues.
post #17 of 28 Old 03-21-2013, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Morning, currently installing the Rubicon express adjustable track bar today. I have removed the RC axle track bar relocation bracket and will be doing a test drive here soon. No oval holes found. Working on centering the axle now and centering the wheel.
I will update soon. My current caster on a 4" lift is 3.5 on left and Rt is 3.8 toe is at 0.10 degrees
post #18 of 28 Old 03-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Granite Guru

what is the correct caster settings for a lifted Jeep? I have read that 1/16-1/8 toe out may help with wobble, but I have been reading about balancing
H1 wheels and tires.
post #19 of 28 Old 03-21-2013, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well the track bar didn't do the trick. Back t the drawing board
post #20 of 28 Old 03-22-2013, 09:08 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlrbear View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I forgot to add that I have not at this point changed wheel or tires, still stock equipment.
DW starts in the tires. I chased a similar problem only to find my tires had gone out of balance. I had them re-balanced, dynamically balanced on a road force machine and the DW went away. Its relatively cheap to do. Good luck............
post #21 of 28 Old 03-22-2013, 10:29 AM
Rock God

2013 JK with Death Wobble

Each Jeep seems to have its own little quirks. On original instal of lift my helper had forgotten to tighten my front upper trackbar bolt. One week later I hear a clack in the front end everytime I go slow over a bump. I take it into the shop and there is NO nut on the upper trackbar bolt. So I basically drove around for 2 weeks like that and NO DW or shimmy. So I just wonder what the underlying issue is with a front diff that requires such a tight trackbar to prevent DW.
I have since had the front diff changed due to an accident and no DW ...

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #22 of 28 Old 03-26-2013, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Worked on adding more caster doing my own alignment using a angle finder. I increased + CASTER to around 5 degrees and it made a big difference. Drives better and I don't notice the DW on similar holes and rough roads that would cause it before the increased caster. I will keep you posted.
post #23 of 28 Old 03-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Rock God

How is your front pinion angle now that you have adjusted for castor.? What is your "Toe" set at?

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #24 of 28 Old 03-26-2013, 07:36 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleophile View Post
DW starts in the tires. I chased a similar problem only to find my tires had gone out of balance. I had them re-balanced, dynamically balanced on a road force machine and the DW went away. Its relatively cheap to do. Good luck............
This. It wasn't death wobble for me, but it was close. Driver front was 10oz out of balance. Must have thrown a weight.

Mike 2010 Rubicon 2DR | RK 3.5 X FACTOR MID ARM | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #25 of 28 Old 04-08-2013, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Jeff, my angle gauge on the pinion is now right at 90 degrees. After reading how to do your own alignment I see the pinion angle should be 90 degrees when correct. Mine must have been off quite a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode