Notching/Grooving the Housing For ARB/RCV install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 03-13-2013, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Jeepineer

Garage
Notching/Grooving the Housing For ARB/RCV install

I tried searching this but didnt come up with much of anything. I've been seeing some posts floating around about grooving the housing on a Rubicon front 44 when adding RCV's and an ARB locker to keep pressure down and prevent blowing out seals.

Example:
Quote:
Also, another tip is to notch the bearing channel inside of the axle housing to allow oil drainage. If not, pressure will build and gear oil will seep though inner axle seals -> this is mainly for the long tube side
Can someone elaborate on this? Specifically how to go about adding grooves and where to add them, and maybe what the purpose is? (I know it has something to do with oil pressure ).

Thanks in advanced.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Where did you see those posts at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-13-2013, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Jeepineer

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Where did you see those posts at?
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showpo...2&postcount=12

I found a few other post in random threads, that one seemed the most on topic tho....

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-13-2013, 01:08 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

I don't have the ARB locker but I have been running RCV's for over a year and I have no leak issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-13-2013, 01:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Does ARB recommend it?

I would contact them. ARB is quite possibly the best company I have ever dealt with customer service wise. Incredibly helpful. They will tell you everything you need to know.

[email protected]

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #6 of 17 Old 03-13-2013, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Jeepineer

Garage

I've been trying to find the install instructions for days now while I wait for everything to come it. That's how I've stumbled across these "notching" comments....

-Mike
post #7 of 17 Old 03-13-2013, 01:42 PM
Rock God

yes im pretty sure that was stated in ARB's instructions. i know it was specified in mine.

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
post #8 of 17 Old 03-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Rock God

The notching is outlined in the arb locker installation instructions. Instead of notching I drilled oil drain back holes in mine. It is necessary to have some way for the gear oil to return to the housing from the axle tubes or you can run low in the diff and put too much oil into the axle tubes.

LS3 2007 JKU X - Red Rock, 2012 JKU Rubicon - Deep Cherry Red, 2001 TJ - Black
post #9 of 17 Old 03-13-2013, 06:20 PM
Rock God

there is a pic in the arb instructions that shows if your housing doesnt have drain holes in the right spot, they should be added. the right spot being behind the carrier bearings where the tube meets up to the housing.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-14-2013, 06:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas View Post
there is a pic in the arb instructions that shows if your housing doesnt have drain holes in the right spot, they should be added. the right spot being behind the carrier bearings where the tube meets up to the housing.
Did you add it when you installed your arb?

RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #11 of 17 Old 03-14-2013, 06:39 AM
JKO Addict!

I just checked my install instructions, it states...

Some salisbury axles were manufactured with poor oil drainage between the axle tubes and the differential housing. This can often result in one of the axle tubes filling up with differential oil while running. In most cases this will result in a blocked air vent which will cause the differential housing to pressurize and expel oil from the axle seals at the wheels or force oil into the air system of the Air Locker, eventually expelling oil at the solenoid valve.This is a design flaw which was corrected by most automakers in the later releases of their axle assemblies.

Does this mean our Dana's have this corrected design flaw? I did not look at where the tubes meet the diff housing close enough to determine if the oil drain locations were appropriate or not.....but I assumed they were being that ARB is referring to older axle assemblies. Plus, the install directions ARB supplies currently, are pretty dated...

Last edited by rdlynch2; 03-14-2013 at 06:46 AM.
post #12 of 17 Old 03-14-2013, 06:50 AM
Granite Guru

On my 07 I had to open up the rear housing to drain out of the tubes.

07 unlimited LS 6.2 6l80 auto 3" black diamond 37" TOYO MT Trailready beadlocks arb's frt & rear
post #13 of 17 Old 03-14-2013, 06:53 AM
JKO Addict!

On a side note, did any of you actually have to use a diff housing spreader during removal/reinstallation, to set carrier bearing preload?

I have never heard of anyone actually using one before as the instructions indicate.

Complete derail, I know, sorry

post #14 of 17 Old 03-14-2013, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Jeepineer

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipewa View Post
The notching is outlined in the arb locker installation instructions. Instead of notching I drilled oil drain back holes in mine. It is necessary to have some way for the gear oil to return to the housing from the axle tubes or you can run low in the diff and put too much oil into the axle tubes.
Ah, ok... Sounds like this pertains to the rear axle where fluid flows between the differential and tubes.

I will be installing this in the front (and I had stumbled across my initial quote on a thread discussing FRONT applications). This notching appears to balance pressure between the tubes and the housing but in the front I don't want fluid in the housing getting into the tunes, so I would assume this doesn't apply in a front application, given my breather is in the housing anyway as well?

-Mike

Last edited by JKred07; 03-14-2013 at 01:26 PM.
post #15 of 17 Old 03-14-2013, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Jeepineer

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
On a side note, did any of you actually have to use a diff housing spreader during removal/reinstallation, to set carrier bearing preload?

I have never heard of anyone actually using one before as the instructions indicate.

I'm going to do everything I can to not use one, but I have heard of people using one for ARB's to get their high preload recommendation.

-Mike
post #16 of 17 Old 03-14-2013, 07:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKred07 View Post
I'm going to do everything I can to not use one, but I have heard of people using one for ARB's to get their high preload recommendation.
Yeah, its a 500 dollar tool. I would imagine that if it was a real problem not using it, that just about everyone with an ARB would have worn carrier bearings!

post #17 of 17 Old 03-14-2013, 01:19 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post

Yep, I used the diff spreader to install ARBs front and rear. IMO it's the only way to get the carrier bearing preload correct without destroying the shims.

$240 with free shipping.
http://extremecustomparts.com/i-2878...-lower-48.html

LS3 2007 JKU X - Red Rock, 2012 JKU Rubicon - Deep Cherry Red, 2001 TJ - Black

Last edited by Chipewa; 03-14-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode